Past Kaiden Brand - delisted 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

YEYhmWbR.jpg

Kaiden Brand

Player Profile

The Sydney Swans gave their backline a boost with the signing of key defender Kaiden Brand via the 2019 delisted free-agency period. Brand played 43 AFL games with Hawthorn after becoming a Hawk via pick 66 at the 2012 AFL Draft. The South Australian will battle Dane Rampe, Aliir Aliir, Lewis Melican and Jack Maibaum for a position in Sydney’s backline in 2020.

Kaiden Brand

DOB: 08 April 1994
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: 2019
RECRUITED FROM: Hawthorn

Last edited:
Exactly Robbie.
Reg Grundy came of age at about 23 years & without the hiccup of an injury interrupted season that Melican had in 2018 so no doubt he is rated by the club.
Even Reg would have massive brain fades and diabolical decision making at times up until about the age of 28 when he played within his limits.

ex-Hawk Kaiden Brand will don the number two worn by a host of revered names in Swans history, including Team of the Century duo Fred Goldsmith and Greg Williams, and 2005 premiership forward Nick Davis.

The club must have high hopes for Kaiden if they've given him the no. 2 Guernsey. He comes across as a "stay at home defender" which might spell the death null for Maibaum. I guess time will tell and it's always good to have back-up options.

Even Reg would have massive brain fades and diabolical decision making at times up until about the age of 28 when he played within his limits.
I remember the calls from many here on BF for Regs retirement just because he chose to punch instead of Mark in the final qtr of the 2014 GF (Wolftone being the main offender). Ridiculous.

I remember the calls from many here on BF for Regs retirement just because he chose to punch instead of Mark in the final qtr of the 2014 GF (Wolftone being the main offender). Ridiculous.

First quarter. No one gave a s**t by the final quarter

Bit late to the party here - but here's some post-trade thoughts.

Brand is really a ruck-man in a KPD size body.

Good kick in space (slow hand-to-foot as are all 196+ players not called Buddy), great intercept mark if his confidence is up (rarely) - plays extremely safe/cautious, which could be a factor of why he never settled (chicken/egg with Clarko's faith too).

Strong enough to hold his own in the air, but not really a contested mark option despite his assets. Surprisingly quick in a straight line but absolutely woeful below his knees - think the most ungainly ruckman you've seen and that's what you get - a loose ball on the ground is virtually an opposition possession.

Is a 'straight line' player - on someone like Ben Brown he should go well, but the more mobile forwards (or at least the smart ones) will run him around, use angles and turn corners to get him off-balance.

I thought he had it in him (still do), and don't think Hawthorn have done the best for him over the years, so wish him well (except against us of course).

Finally we have someone with good height in our defence. Frees up Rampe to play on someone his own size ( who he will beat in 1:1 contests more often than not). Like Reg, I hope Brand plays within his limitations and does his job by taking out the opposition's monster forward each week. Good signing imho.

Delisted
Meanwhile, the club has advised Kaiden Brand, Sam Gray, Matthew Ling and Malachy Carruthers that they will not be offered contracts with the club for 2022.
Gray and Brand joined the Swans as delisted free agents ahead of the 2020 season. Both players made their Swans debuts in 2020 with Gray playing a total of seven matches during his two-season tenure with the club and Brand making five senior appearances.

Brand is another example for me of the difficulty we have in attracting decent established mid range players. We end up in the mud trying to sift out some gold and ending up with old fish hooks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back