Kicks - 16
Handballs - 2
Tackles - 1
Goals - 0
Behinds - 3
DreamTeam - 77

image.aspx

0:36 - Mmmmmmmmmm.

2:55 - To the people that wanted Scooter to be traded - perfect clearance + delivery.

2013 REVIEW & 2014 PREVIEW
311244-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg
2013 was a pretty sorry year for Mark LeCras. After missing the entire 2012 campaign with a knee injury, his return was meant to help push The Eagles deep into the 2013 finals. Unfortunately, only a few quarters into the season proper, LeCras suffed a broken arm in a collision with Docker Tendai Muzungu, which went a long way towards ruining yet another season.​
As player who relies more on touch and football IQ than athleticism and power, The Frenchman was left in a situation where he was feeling his way back into AFL football from a 12 month layoff, while nursing a broken arm, playing in a team which wasn’t living up to expectations and still coming to complete grips with balancing forward line duties and midfield relief.​
It’s no surprise then that Lecca started cutting corners. True, in an ideal world all Eagles would have the temperament of Darren Glass and play the same whether up by 100 points or down by that much, but LeCras let his frustrations come to the fore and that spilt over into selfishness and maybe even laziness. Gone was the supreme touch and clean kicking we had come to expect, and in its place were unexpected misses, token chases and undisciplined stat-whoring.​
Of course, that’s not to say there weren’t occasional bright spots in LeCras’ 2013 season - His 5 goal effort against Essendon is testament to that. However, the fact that this game saved Lecca’s 2013 season from being the only one other than 2005 and 2012, where he didn’t have a game with 4 goals or more, paints a truer picture.​
310601-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg
So, what now for LeCras? The general feeling around the place seems to be that with an uninterrupted preseason and some overdue love from the injury Gods, LeCras should return to his damaging best. A bit like 2011 or 2010, he should be aiming to kick around 50 goals while touching the footy about 15 times a game. You would also hope that a less shithouse season and an extra year of maturity would see Mark playing like a brother in arms again.​
There are also some personal milestones on the horizon for him. His 264 career goals places Lecca only 18 away from passing Quinten Lynch for 3rd all-time at West Coast, which he should manage to achieve sans total disaster. He’s also only 36 goals away from becoming the 3rd Eagle to kick 300 goals for the club, after legends Peter Sumich and Phil Matera.​
More long term, LeCras actually has a good chance of catching Phil Matera’s 389 goals and he might even have his eye on becoming the first Eagle to play 200 games while kicking 400 goals. That would take a fair amount of luck and a great deal of longevity but it’s not totally out of the question.​
Finally, there should also be a circle around July 16th on his calendar.​
311519-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mark LeCras: Injuries ruined LeCras' season last year. He managed 15 games and kicked 30 goals but was nowhere near his best. He looks fit in the pre-season and his kicking skills have been a feature as the Eagles try to improve their ball-movement. He looks set for a big year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-09/lists-by-positions-forwards-part-two

AFL.com have written an inferior preview to mine for Mark LeCras today.

The West Coast page has however posted this awesome photo of LeCras struggling to use a gate.

312296-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

Last edited:
NAB CUP ROUND 1
19th February 2014
West Coast 148 v Fremantle 64

314009-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

This was one of those games where everyone looked good for West Coast and LeCras wasn't an exception. In fact, I believe the Herald Sun named him in our best, which was probably a touch generous, but goes to show that some liked his game.

The stats look good too:

Disposals - 20
Kicks - 12
Handballs - 8
Marks - 5
Tackles - 2

Goals - 2
Behinds - 2
DreamTeam - 87

Those are generally a par statistics for Mark, except may a handful less touches.

If you watched the game closely, however, maybe you thought "Wow, LeCras hasn't got his kicking boots on today" - and you were right.

The real downside for Mark yesterday was his 50% DE. LeCras and Coxy equalled 3 Fremantle hacks for 2nd worst in that area, ahead of only Mr Crap, Colin Sylvia, who managed just 20% DE.

This poor disposal spilled over into goal percentage for Mark, as he only kicked 2 goals from 7 shots, which was easily the worst on the ground. The breakdown was 2 goals, 2 behinds and 3 shots which failed to score. I remember him missing some set shots late in the game and I'm going to assume some of those shots which failed to score were quick snaps under a lot of pressure but there's clearly something to work on here.

Hopefully it's all sorted in time for the real stuff.

Overall I'm going to go ahead and give LeCras 6/10 for his game against Fremantle.

Pre-season Practice Match
6th March 2014
West Coast 86 v Fremantle 67
2014_03_08_14_15_14.png

After being rested for the second and final NAB Cup match along with several other big name Eagles, LeCras returned to the team for this practice match against Fremantle.

I made it down to the game and I must say, LeCras didn't have a huge influence on the result but he certainly did a lot right, as evidenced by being named in the best by the official Eagles site.

Indeed, Mark kicked 2 goals, one of which can be seen here, and he gave another to Kennedy on the goal line, so he could have had 3 if it pleased him.

It also seemed to me as though LeCras chased and pressured a bit better than normal and he seemed to find a decent amount of the football, particularly when he moved into the middle.

No stats are available for this game but I'll still give Mark 7.5/10 based on what I saw.

Quick update thanks to the West Australian:

Mark LeCras is definitely back with it.

It is easy to explain LeCras' slight dip in form last year on the way back from a knee reconstruction and a broken arm sustained in round one.

He had two goals by three- quarter time last night to go with 17 possessions, seven of them contested, and a couple of clearances.

AFL Round 1
23 March 2014
West Coast 134 v Port 69
318029-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

LeCras Post Game

The Good:

LeCras broke his Bulldogs streak of 5 games in a row with 3 goals by kick 5.1 and collecting 27 disposals yesterday. Most people seem to have him listed as BOG for this game, despite the stiff competition from about 5 other guys.

His stats tell a good story.

Disposals - 27
Kicks - 15
Handballs - 12
Marks - 10 (Equal 8th in AFL)
Tackles - 3
Goals - 5 (Equal 1st in AFL)
Behinds - 1
DreamTeam - 139 (6th in AFL)

And his form isn't bad either, considering he kicked 5 goals in his last AFL match of 2013, against Essendon.

The Bad:
The game went to s**t really early. West Coast opened a commanding lead and went into party mode while the Dogs looked like they wanted to catch an earlier flight East. That resulted in a lot of players going for glory rather than playing the percentages and a forward line player like LeCras naturally got in on the act....

The Ugly:
When the game was still on (we're talking some time in the first quarter), LeCras crassly shoved Easton Wood in the back well after a Kennedy mark inside 50. The kick was reversed and Kennedy was robbed of a chance to open his tally.

Fact:
LeCras had only 1 5+ goal game in both 2013 and 2011. In 2010 he had 4, going on to be named All-Australian.

Rating: 9/10

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back