Toast 2. Mark LeCras (2005 - 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

matt_bas has reported the following on how Lecca's been doing at training:
He said Leccas looking sharp

From this we can ascertain that LeCras has dominated the time trials, topped the goal kicking, bench pressed 1000kg, won the BnF, coached Oscar Allen to be the next Fyfe, been elected captain in secrecy, solved world hunger, eliminated poverty, ended war, cured all diseases and invented time travel.

matt_bas has reported the following on how Lecca's been doing at training:

From this we can ascertain that LeCras has dominated the time trials, topped the goal kicking, bench pressed 1000kg, won the BnF, coached Oscar Allen to be the next Fyfe, been elected captain in secrecy, solved world hunger, eliminated poverty, ended war, cured all diseases and invented time travel.
Can confirm all but ended war are true. Unfortunately there are still people in this world that hate pineapple on pizza.

Time for an update on LeGod's preseason.

Although LeGod seems to only get a passing mention in most articles about WC, they do report him as moving well.

Mark LeCras, 31, has looked in sharp touch recently as he seeks to put a challenging 2017 behind him. LeCras was a standout last summer too before a hip injury cruelled his campaign and raised questions about his future.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-...your-clubs-experienced-players-are-travelling

Gun midfielders Luke Shuey and Andrew Gaff moved well, as did veteran forward Mark LeCras, during match simulation.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...teady-approach-for-nic-naitanui-ng-b88694257z

After a challenging 2017, veteran forward Mark LeCras looked in slick touch alongside trimmed down goalsneak Willie Rioli.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-15/over-the-moon-key-eagles-round-one-chances-rise

2 days ago, on 12 Feb, the record holder for worst leg break in WAFL history (while playing for South no less) and forwards coach Jaymie Graham reported the following:

Graham said fellow veteran Mark LeCras has enjoyed a "great pre-season" after hip issues slowed him last year, and he hopes an influx of goalkicking talent can relieve some pressure on the veteran in 2018.

"They add a different dynamic and it's helping Lecca out," he said.

"Also he's been able to work closely with those boys and show some leadership, it's been good for him."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-12/star-eagle-josh-kennedy-progressing-well-may-play-jlt

Fantastic news all round, and the tutelage of LeGod over our rookie forwards should lesson the weight of carrying us on his shoulders.

Last edited:
Round 1: LeGod Vs Sydney/Umpires

Coming into round 1, the announcement of Chris Masten on the wing resulted in melts galore: some were calling for Simmo's head, others were saying he was trying to keep his job, and many accused the club of "going backwards", despite having 3 debutantes (the most since 1996). Amidst the rage, Lecca was seemingly forgotten by the restless crowd and went with only a brief insult into the game.

In a drastic turn of events that surprised no one, LeGod was our best player against old nemesis Sydney:
Kicks: 13
Handballs: 3
Disposals: 16
Marks: 4
Tackles: 9
Goals: 3.2*
AFL Fantasy Score: 112

He was simply on fire from the getgo. Lecca scored the first goal for West Coast at Perth Stadium (a classy crumb off the pack) and tackled so ferociously the umpires worried their pay packet from AFL house would be invalidated. In response, the men in green steadied Sydney's ship by discounting LeGod's GOTY at the 10 minute mark in the third quarter, citing it as a "kick in danger" because Aussie rules is apparently a non-contact sport. But nothing could stop the LeGod train once it started, and the classy Frenchman cut the lead down to 5 points with a spear on the 3QT siren.

It turned into LeGod vs COLA/Umpires in the fourth, and our lord and saviour tried everything to drag his team across the line. Play went from LeGod perfection to COLA/Umpire corruption, back and forth in a continuous tug of war that made grown men cry; a battle that some described as more elegant then Tolstoy's War and Peace, while others a "display of unadulterated moral cruelty". Nonetheless, not even LeGod could stop the umpires, and Sydney won by 29 (17) points.

Last edited:
Round 2: West Coast Vs Western Bulldogs

LeGod was all class against the Western Bulldogs. Although he was slightly quieter then round 1, the king still had a great outing in a smashing of 2016's premiers:
Kicks: 11
Handballs: 5
Tackles: 5
Goals: 2.0
AFL Fantasy Score: 86

Everyone clicked against the Bulldogs. Lecca tackled magnificently again, physically hurting the opposition in ways that had never been seen before. A highlight included Jordan Roughead attempting a spoil LeGod after the Frenchman left all six defenders in his wake; Bulldogs staff are still collecting pieces of Roughead out of the grass days later.

Suckling, Wood and Honeychurch had to pick straws between them to determine who would play on LeGod; as it turned out, all 3 decided to triple team him. This allowed Darling, Ryan and Venables to get loose and run amuck, scoring 10 goals between them in a dominant display. Overall, LeGod's presence alone freed up the forwardline and secured a big win for WC.

Last edited:
Lecca playing well in round one wasn't a huge shock; he did that last year and basically disappeared afterwards, but he's followed up not just with his positioning and goalkicking, but his pressure is as good as it's ever been. I guess an injury-free year and pressure from below is giving him a new lease on footy life. Hoping like hell that he keeps it up.

Round 3: West Coast Vs The Holy Trinity/Geelong

Dangerfield, Selwood, Ablett - those 3 names represent some of the best players in our game, and they've all been reunited at Geelong for 2018. A trio of that calibre hasn't been seen since the 06 glory days, and coming into the match, all eyes were on us. Could we beat the "greatest midfield of all time"? Are we a threat this year?

Turns out Yeo has more sheer determination and will to win then all three combined. Alas, this isn't about Yeo, but the one who motivated him:
Kicks: 9
Disposals: 12
Marks: 6
Tackles: 2
Goals: 3.2
AFL Fantasy Score: 73

As usual, LeGod was our leading goal kicker and BOG. The Frenchman's influence was a sight to behold; perfectly weighted kicks to advantage, courageous marks everywhere, 3 sublime goals with his last to seal the match:
giphy.gif

Geelong's "Holy Trinity" struggled to turn it on for 2 quarters, until Gaz appeared out of nowhere and destroyed us from the HBF - a 10 disposal third term to drag Geelong back into the contest. Seeing this, LeGod did 2 things: tweaked Gazza's hammy simply by looking at him (Gazza's body reacted in a way that has baffled scientists for years - in everyday circumstances, you typically have a "fight or flight" response to moments of extreme fear; Lecca's gaze alone causes something called a "French Meltdown". Only 2 people have survived over the Frenchman's entire life) and telepathically forcing Simmo to put Yeo in the centre. Overall, Lecca was the main force behind a spirited victory.

Last edited:
Ahead of LeGod's 200th, universal praise and admiration has overwhelmed the footy industry. Many can't believe 200 games of absolute perfection will soon exist, and even more fear LeGod will have the greatest performance of all time; a game so perfect, so utterly beautiful, all future matches will be rendered moot, and end football as we know it.

Lucky for us, LeGod's sidekick JK will be coming it to stop the Frenchman from burning all our retinas.

Some highlights from the week include:
* An article about LeGod's struggle to accept his own brilliance: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-09/the-chat-that-convinced-lecras-to-play-on

* X-man stating the obvious:
“He got voted about four years in a row the sexiest footballer in WA,” Ellis told the Fox Footy podcast on Tuesday.

“Mark LeCras is the first person to remind quite a few people that he was voted four years in a row the sexiest footballer in Western Australia.

“Unfortunately that’s another thing I can’t challenge him about with my busted head. He’s very aware of how good looking he is.”

“His face, his tan, his natural running ability, his skills — he’s just the complete package,” Ellis said.

“It’s almost got to the stage where I’ve looked at him a couple of times and considered swinging his way because he’s pretty flawless that guy.”

“There is not too many that I’d go head to head with banter, but his record with his sense of humour is outstanding,” he said.

“I don’t think I’ve ever won an argument with him.”

“For me, over the past 11 years that I’ve played, his skill level would be as good as anyone I’ve come across.”

* LeGod expressing his gratitude to be sharing the milestone with Nic's 150th (the Flying Fijian deserves some love as well):
West Coast veteran Mark LeCras says he couldn’t think of a better person to share his 200-game milestone with than Nic Naitanui.

The veteran goalsneak will become just the 20th Eagle to register 200 appearances for the club on Saturday, the same day Naitanui becomes a life member of the club upon playing his 150th game in blue and gold.

“It means a lot being able to share it with him as well because we are pretty close mates,” LeCras said.

“One hundred and fifty games is probably the biggest milestone you can have at a footy club because it means life membership. For someone like Nic Nat to get that, I know it’ll mean a lot to him.

“Knowing what he’s been through, it’s been a lot of hard work over the past two years to get back playing footy. He’s in good form and he’s an important cog in our team.”

* The top 10 goals of all time (courtesy of the AFL):
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-04-10/top-ten-goals-from-the-career-of-mark-lecras

* Hurn writing about LeGod's resilience, footy smarts and superior fishing skills (Here2tellyouwhy time to admit you're wrong):
I don’t remember meeting Lecca for the first time but we formed a strong bond in our early years through our mutual love of fishing.

Being from a country town Cervantes, which is a small cray-fishing town about 200km north of Perth, he taught me just about everything I know about fishing.

We’ve had some moments where things have gone wrong when launching the boat, which has been good for a laugh, and he’s competitive when it comes to being out on the water.

We usually try and split the load when it comes to hooking a couple of fish except for one time when we went searching for a couple of WA Dhufish.

We aimed to get one each but on this occasion, Lecca caught the two fish and instead of waiting for me to get one, for some reason we headed back inland!

I think his logic was that I just wasn’t good enough on the day. I’m still filthy about it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a nice graphic made up for LeGod's 200th by the club (kudos to Biggie for originally posting it):
jieFeLk.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to include some videos posted throughout the week.

Press Conference:

Career Highlights and Testimonials:

Last edited:
Round 4: West Coast Vs Gold Coast

WC engaged FTB mode against the Suns; an easy 80 point smashing with an awful injury to DV to sour the day. LeGod took a backseat to allow some of his teammates to catch up stats wise. There was still plenty of class, moments of impossible feats and masterful plays in his 200th, but even the GOAT needs to share the spotlight every once in a while:
Kicks: 10
Handballs: 4
Disposals: 14
Marks: 3
Tackles: 3
Goals: 2.1
AFL Fantasy Score: 67

Rather then kicking 20 goals, the Frenchman gave (to name a few):
* Yeo 3 Brownlow votes
* JK 5 goals
* Cripps 4 straight majors
* Ben Ainsworth a proper introduction to the elite level
* Rioli his first goal (although it looked like Willie burnt him)

Overall, a fantastic showing of humility from LeGod.

Round 5: West Coast Vs Carlton

Ah, Carlton. Perennial tankers, providers of JK and a team made up of GWS rejects - only you could drag even the mightiest of West Coast down to your level.

On a day to forget, the Blues came out and made the match an ugly grind; goals seemed hard to come by, LeGod's sidekick JK kicked one goal for the entire game, and the commentary box was a wankfest over Carlton and Patrick Cripps. It even looked like we might lose at times (however that could happen, I have no idea), but the Frenchman, in typical fashion, secured the 4 points:
Kicks: 12
Handballs: 1
Disposals: 13
Tackles: 0
Goals: 3.2
AFL Fantasy Score: 66

LeGod officially arrived at the start of the 3Q after saving a burning bus full of children (while also being at the game in the first half), when Carlton attempted a fightback and got within a kick. In response, the king nailed two set shots in the third and one in the forth, under unsurmountable pressure and everything on his shoulders; when the Blues threatened, he snuffed them out and ended their run. Overall, the manner in which the GOAT destroyed Carltank's hopes and dreams was truly a sight to behold - beautifully poetic, yet deeply sincere. Only the Frenchman could produce such sublime perfection against impossible odds.

Last edited:
Round 6: West Coast Vs Fremantle

Western Derby 47 confirmed many things about 2018; Nathan Fyfe is still a poor mans Elliot Yeo, Hurn will receive his first AA jumper this year, and the tears of Freo supporters witnessing their team lose a sixth consecutive Derby is the second greatest joy on Earth. The first, of course, is watching LeGod do it:
Kicks: 15
Handballs: 1
Marks: 2
Tackles: 4
Goals: 1.2
AFL Fantasy Score: 80

Fremantle ran out of the gates in the first and went into quarter time with a 20 point lead. While it appeared the Purples had outplayed the mighty Eagles, the reality was markedly different; to enrichen the viewing experience for WC supporters, LeGod had decided to hold off slightly for maximum salt production.

When the second quarter began, the Frenchman gave Freo fans a nightmare.

The match feed reported this coming into half time:
Mark LeGod is up to six contested possessions, four tackles and four inside 50s this term, all quarter-highs.

The norm for Lecca. He single-handily provided 4 goals for WC while kicking one of his own, giving us the lead and completely dominating. Simply put, it was a performance of selflessness, perfection and sheer willpower, bringing others into the game in ways never thought possible. LeGod crippled Freo players both physically and mentally in bone crunching tackles, and his inside work scarred Fyfe for life. The result was life-sustaining Freo rage; 100 000 children were saved as a result.

In the third and fourth, the melts became so numerous that reality itself was collapsing. As such, LeGod was forced the ease his carnage.

Last edited:
Round 7: West Coast Vs Port Adelaide

Redemption. That was the topic of the month at Port Adelaide, and they certainly needed it. The pain felt by them at the hands of Shuey is still very real; only 5 months ago, Luke broke the hearts of countless Power supporters worldwide. How do you rectify that? Can you? It's a very tough proposition to face, and victory at Optus against us would be a start.

On the Monday before the game, Power senior assistant Matthew Nicks said the following:
"We couldn't research a team any more than we have West Coast," Power senior assistant coach Matthew Nicks told reporters on Monday.

"When you lose games like we have to them by small margins in the past couple years, where you dominate a lot of the statistics, you find yourself really getting deep into how are going to knock this side off.

"We feel we know them really well, we just have to perform on the game day.

This was a must win for them.

As it turned out, their entire strategy was literally just shutting down LeGod, and they still failed:
Handballs: 5
Disposals: 17
Goals: 1.0
AFL Fantasy Score: 69

The Frenchman set the tone with a goal that was pure class; first he smothered a kick, passed it off for the one two, and scored from the impossible angle. That single act alone was enough to win the game, but LeGod wasn't done yet.

As a result of Port attempting the impossible (shutting down LeGod), they forgot the other 21 WC players on the field; we applied ferocious pressure and established a 50 point lead. Darling had his best game of the year, Petrucelle shined, and LeGod brought others into stardom by drawing all the pressure from Port.

Overall, LeGod continues his form as both the GOAT and ultimate team player.

Last edited:
I've been a bit lacklustre in updating this thread. Hopefully I'll be able to do the last 6 LeGod masterclasses justice.

In other news, Channel 9 reported LeGod had injured his wrist, and society ceased to continue in mourning the next day. However, it turned out to be false:
Oh yes, he was. I forgot about that. Le Cras was there and trained well with no apparent problem. Marked the ball overhead fine.

Don't be surprised if Channel 9 goes off the air in the coming days.

Bad news, looks like LeGod won't be playing for the first time this season:
WEST Coast's forward line has taken another massive hit after Mark LeCras was forced to undergo wrist surgery, ruling him out of Saturday's clash with Adelaide.

LeCras injured his right wrist in last week's loss to Essendon, and underwent an arthroscopy earlier this week.

It was the same wrist he has injured previously, and coach Adam Simpson says the club is waiting on the results of more scans before determining how long LeCras will be sidelined.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-28/eagles-forward-line-suffers-another-blow-lecras

Looks like we're ****ed this week against Adelaide.

Thankfully, LeGod's injury has only set him back for 2 weeks, and he'll be in for our most important match of the season.

I've already put a $100,000 bet on us to win.

Round 8: West Coast Vs Greater Western Sydney

The main thing I remember about this game is being pissed off that it wasn't live on FTA. Nevertheless, it was our best win for the year at this point - we were missing Nic, Gov and Shuey, while Petrucelle was an unfortunate out after having a good game against Port. Although GWS were missing some key players as well, our outs were considerably worse than theirs.

Ultimately, LeGod selflessly decided to stand by the side while Darling monstered GWS:
Disposals: 13
Marks: 0
Goals: 0.0
AFL Fantasy Score: 69

Round 9: West Coast Vs Richmond

If there's two certainties in 2018, it's that Melbourne will flat track, and Richmond hates planes, or just flying in general. However you put it, the reigning premiers haven't won a single interstate match all season (0-4), and that fact means absolutely nothing. The GF is already played at their ******* home ground and will be for the next 50 years.

After quite a while, the cruel irony on show means nothing. The (V)AFL has found its newest money printer in Richmond, and there is nothing I (or anyone else, or the clubs who have tried and failed) can do to change that; the hypocrisy will continue and the world keeps spinning. Nevertheless, at least we all get to watch LeGod play:
Kicks: 11
Handballs: 6
Disposals: 17
Marks: 5
Tackles: 4
Goals: 3.0
AFL Fantasy Score: 93

Off the back of a LeGod motivational speech, Darling preceded to butcher Richmond in the best game of his career. Everyone played brilliantly as we smashed the Tiger by 50 points. The Frenchman was his usually classy self, bobbing up for 3 goals and setting up various plays.

Overall, it was the announcement of the Eagles as contenders and the start of Richmond's interstate losing streak.

Round 10: West Coast Vs Hawthorn

Hawthorn in Melbourne presents quite a conundrum for West Coast - they've scarred us for life numerous times over there. However each team is going, they always seem to smash us in recent seasons over there.

Unfortunately, we couldn't break the duck against them at the MCG, which we inevitably would have. Etihad just had to suffice.

In a scrappy affair that broke a decade long losing streak against Hawthorn in Melbourne, LeGod stood out with his class and ball use in the forward half:
Handballs: 6
Disposals: 18
Goals: 1.1
AFL Fantasy Score: 77

Darling needed a rest after his Olympic effort the previous week, so the job to go BOG was left to the Frenchman. Ultimately, that was easier said then done.

Round 11: West Coast Vs St Kilda

This match resulted in quite a few things: we won ten in a row for the third time in club history (and subsequently matched Freo's all time best winning streak for the third time), Darling injured his ankle to the demon known as the Optus Stadium surface, and Alan Richardson continued on his merry way to a sacking.

Additionally, the "noise of affirmation" bullshit was brought up again, and Freo and Saints fans seized the moment to, for a second, forget the harsh reality that their clubs are complete failures, by complaining about free kicks (again).

The match itself was a concerning one; Richardson employed his greatest coaching feat and the sum of his life's potential, limiting LeGod's influence for approximately one quarter:
Kicks: 3
Disposals: 6
Tackles: 6
Goals: 2.0
AFL Fantasy Score: 61

The tactic itself was born from the depths of hell, a ritual triggering something beyond human comprehension. Nevertheless, the Saints cut a 3QT margin of 40 points within 2 goals, but we held on in the end.

Overall, the Frenchman continues his GOAT form.

Round 13: West Coast Vs Sydney

As the saying goes, all good things in life must come to an end. Sydney snapped the 10 game winning streak by strangling the life out of us at home. Not even Yeo, who Nathan Fyfe is a poor mans version of, couldn't drag us across the line. JK was injured and we lost our only Friday night game for the year. Splendid.

Getting strangled by Sydney away doesn't make for pleasant viewing.

LeGod went goalless for the second time this year, still overcoming the effects of Alan Richardson's curse:
Handballs: 10
Disposals: 19
Goals: 0.1
AFL Fantasy Score: 63

While he wasn't his GOAT self, the Frenchman's class still shone through in a godawful spectacle.

Round 14: West Coast Vs The Drug Cheats

I'd already erased this game from my memory before writing this summary; alas, I can't shy away for my sponsorship duties.

Essendope ruined my Thursday night in round 14. There were reasons for the loss (a lack of JK and JD being the main factor), and we've since recovered, but I was incredibly close to knocking out the Essendope supporter behind me.

Overall, Simpson was outcoached by Woosha in our worst loss of the year - the resulting aftermath made the board look like 2017 again.

LeGod, the champion that he is, played through a broken wrist to help the make shift forward line:
Kicks: 7
Disposals: 11
Tackles: 1
Goals: 1.2
AFL Fantasy Score: 51

His overall performance was severely impeded by the injury, and he was forced to have surgery afterwards, missing 2 games as a result.

Last edited:
In the darkest day of the club's history, future legend of the AFL HoF and our greatest ever player has announced his retirement today:
West Coast Eagles goal-kicking genius Mark LeCras has called time on his stellar career.

After meeting chief executive officer Trevor Nisbett, senior coach Adam Simpson and general manager – football Craig Vozzo, the 32-year-old premiership hero decided the victory over Collingwood in the grand final would mark his last game.

“I’m very comfortable with the decision,” LeCras said today.

“I have had a couple of weeks to think about it, discuss it with my family and the club and it just feels like the right time.

“I couldn’t be happier after playing in a winning grand final with so many blokes who will be mates for the rest of my life. The last few weeks have been something really special and I’ll never forget the feeling when the final siren sounded.

“I was starting to wonder whether I’d ever get the chance to experience the elation that I have heard so many other players talk about. It’s everything they said and a little more.”

LeCras, who narrowly missed selection when the Eagles beat Sydney in the 2006 grand final, could have been excused for thinking that getting to football’s marquee day was normal, the club getting to the last day in September in his first two seasons on the list.

But he had to wait another decade before that next chance came and it was ruined by a slick and seasoned Hawthorn in 2015.

LeCras, who became the 20th Eagle to reach the 200-game milestone in round four against Gold Coast this season, stands among the finest players to represent the club across its 32 years.

Nisbett best summed up his contribution.

“Mark has been a wonderful player for our club over the last 14 seasons,” Nisbett said.

https://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2018-10-18/content-lecras-calls-time

While the dream of B2B is most certainly dead, LeGod's memory will live on forever.

Given I was quite lacklustre after round 14, I'll be putting up summaries of the rest of his performances for the year today.

Enjoy retirement Lecca!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back