Past #2: Marley Williams - delisted after 60 NM games/5 NM goals - thanks Marley

About 80% as good as he was last year. Anyone know if his back injury is a lingering issue?

I'd be curious to find this out too. He doesn't move the same way athletically as last year. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping he's just having a "recovery" year of sorts. Would love to see him back to 100% again, as he is one of my favourite players to watch when he's switched on. He's still got his agility and quick thinking in traffic, and he's had some good tackling matches, but overall I'd say his tackling and his highlight-worthy chase downs have been missing this year for the most part. Love Marley a lot, and I hope his back is okay.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is very hard to assess the output of individuals if you are not actually at the game.

Aussie Rules is not really much of a 'TV sport' if you get what I mean.

On top of this, public access to detailed statistics is woeful. Australia a backwater once again.

With that caveat out of the way, Marley seems invisible compared to his first year at the club.

What gives?

I reckon he was more invisible months ago when the defense was performing really well.

Lately I've seen more of him and it usually seems to be when things break down the way weren't earlier in the year.

So I've nearly had him in votes a few times recently.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
It is very hard to assess the output of individuals if you are not actually at the game.

Aussie Rules is not really much of a 'TV sport' if you get what I mean.

On top of this, public access to detailed statistics is woeful. Australia a backwater once again.

With that caveat out of the way, Marley seems invisible compared to his first year at the club.

What gives?

He is someone you just take for granted that he does his role without fuss. I expect we noticed him more last season as he was a new recruit.

His one on one defensive efforts are first class but finding his kicking to be a bit on the poor side.
Particularly the past fortnight.
Defence is under siege but he usually keeps it simple.
Probs has a fair bit to do with whos playing alongside him.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
His one on one defensive efforts are first class but finding his kicking to be a bit on the poor side.
Particularly the past fortnight.
Defence is under siege but he usually keeps it simple.
Probs has a fair bit to do with whos playing alongside him.

Doesn't help that everyone up the field has been so stagnant. No one is working or leading up at him at all.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's really the only one the past two weeks with some actual defence that seems to be working. Taz is a close second but only because he's seemed a bit slow. Marley's been playing with the same intensity he's had all year and I think that deserves some credit, especially when the rest of our defence has stagnated.

Arguably his best game for the year

Body lines the ball and rebounds hard. Doesn't lose one on ones

Plays game 100 against the lions next game, this guy will end up a 200 gamer
Has been average the past three or four weeks but he was excellent today
The side step slide back in the third was quality
As was the chase down on Darling in the last

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons