Past #2: Marley Williams - delisted after 60 NM games/5 NM goals - thanks Marley

Remove this Banner Ad

timthumb.php

NZ Indigenous stars to shine during AFL Round 10 Celebrations
26 May, 2017

In honour of this weekends AFL Indigenous round, AFL New Zealand celebrates New Zealand Indigenous players playing at the top level.

Dustin Martin (Richmond), Shane Savage (St Kilda) and Marley Williams (North Melbourne) all have Maori heritage and will run out for their respective clubs during Round 10. Martin will play in front of 90,000 fans on Saturday night when the Tigers take on Essendon for ‘Dreamtime at the G’.

From:http://aflnz.co.nz/blog/2017/05/26/nz-indigenous-stars-to-shine-during-afl-round-10-celebrations/

There's a good reason the All Blacks don't get beaten much. The Maori boys were born to play contact sport !

Also number 2. Coincidence?

Not many Moari people have played AFL. So it may be a deliberate thing to recognise his heritage. The club has done that with a few other numbers for indigenous players - 3, 8 and 12. There were some exceptional players who wore those numbers. Kayne Turner has 28, whatever his background he certainly plays with Choppy's hardness.

I dunno for sure. It certainly fits with other things the club has done to recognise players' heritage, and the actual heritage of numbers. 11 since Arch for example. In fact I can't imagine they didn't think about it.

One of my all time favorite North players. Underrated IMO

I reckon he's one of our greatest players and one of my all time faves as well.

(edit) That highlight reel is unreal. The way he charges at the footy or the contest, his attack on the ball is just phenomenal. he was captain of that u19 side in the late 80s. I always wonder how much that had to do with the players who remained's success at senior level.

Not many Moari people have played AFL. So it may be a deliberate thing to recognise his heritage. The club has done that with a few other numbers for indigenous players - 3, 8 and 12. There were some exceptional players who wore those numbers. Kayne Turner has 28, whatever his background he certainly plays with Choppy's hardness.

I dunno for sure. It certainly fits with other things the club has done to recognise players' heritage, and the actual heritage of numbers. 11 since Arch for example. In fact I can't imagine they didn't think about it.

There will be more and more Maori playing AFL. Lots have moved over to Aussie over the years so their kids will be coming through the ranks.
Of course most of them have gone the rugby and league route but some will be playing AFL.
Just naturally gifted people.
I played a lot of mixed touch rugby over the years and have numerous stories of being side stepped by a Maori lady and then left in their wake and I was no slouch !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably know this but Kayne requested 28 because it was his late dad's number. That it's Choppy's number too is happy coincidence I think.

There will be more and more Maori playing AFL. Lots have moved over to Aussie over the years so their kids will be coming through the ranks.
Of course most of them have gone the rugby and league route but some will be playing AFL.
I played a lot of mixed touch rugby over the years and have numerous stories of being side stepped by a Maori lady and then left in their wake and I was no slouch !

This is as deflating as the time Mrs Costanze realised Donna Chang wasn't Chinese.

Always imagined you as Jake the Muss.

Probably know this but Kayne requested 28 because it was his late dad's number. That it's Choppy's number too is happy coincidence I think.

Yeah I did know that. Its a great coincidence. I can see Kayne being as hard as Chop too,. And imagine if he'd played back then. He'd have been a weapon. He still is I spose.

Maori and Islanders are starting to dominate the NRL. Over a third of players have some Polynesian or Melanesian background. Big athletic guys are made to play League. Years ago I played some American Football in Melbourne and there was one maori guy. Tall and skinny as. We used to do this drill where we'd all link arms and stand in a circle and one guy would stand in the middle have try to break out. He was the only player to ever do it.

No chance KC...I'm a lover not a fighter.. (and not a very good one at that)

Hey heard your fellow kiwi Phil Keoghan interviewed recently.

Always imagined he was a yank.

Not sure how I arrived at that conclusion apart from him sounding American, living in America and having very white fake teeth.

Posted this in another thread, but I think it bears repeating that there is currently another Marley Williams from NZ getting around in a North jumper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back