Past #2: Marley Williams - delisted after 60 NM games/5 NM goals - thanks Marley

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Whilst this whole Marley thing is just a storm in a tea cup, I’m having serious concerns about The Albion as a hangout

Have picked up from there a few times, and it’s starting to remind me of The Tunnel of the 90s

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is both a good and a bad thing. I actually liked going to tunsafun occasionally in the day, alternatively this is why i seldom have evening public benders these days. Most of my public drinking are day/arvo events these days. The silver lining is you are also generally funtional the next day as well.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
WTF is Marley doing out drunk in a public place at 2am? Doesn’t auger well in terms of discipline, especially a bloke with priors. Might have been unlucky and maybe was just trying to stop a fight. But should not have been in that position.
What? It was a Saturday night, and it's pretty obvious the players have no drinking bans or curfews to which they must adhere. If you're not still out and drunk at 2 a.m. you're doing it wrong.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Won't judge the social implications of Marley's conduct because we only have the news article and a poster's take on it to judge by.

However purely from a football perspective, would hope our players are taking their condition more seriously than being out on the drink at 2AM. Wellness centres lol. Try getting some sleep instead.
A wellness centre run by Marley Williams sounds quite intriguing. Might have to check it out.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

What? It was a Saturday night, and it's pretty obvious the players have no drinking bans or curfews to which they must adhere. If you're not still out and drunk at 2 a.m. you're doing it wrong.

It’s a January Sat night in Melbourne. Doesn’t get dark til 9? Being out til 2 isn’t too hard this time of the year.

But if it’s at Dane Swans venue who’s retired and you’re a good mate, there’s a fair chance you’re up to some shenanigans. Fair enough too if you work hard all week, it’s the off season and you’re on good coin. I would too at that age and in that ‘form’.

Partying and a wellness centre are not mutually exclusive either. Having a good time can be relaxing and help you get focused too. Particularly if work stresses you out - and professional footballing can be a stressful game as other happenings at the club this off season have demonstrated.

The club will have rules and if he breaks them, they’ll come down on him. Simple.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
....purely from a football perspective, would hope our players are taking their condition more seriously than being out on the drink at 2AM. Wellness centres lol. Try getting some sleep instead.
Nothing good ever happens at 2AM on a Sunday morning ifd you're a professional athlete and still out at the pub/club/kebab van.
Wowsers! A bit of drinking never hurt anyone.

Idiot!

A wellness centre run by Marley Williams sounds quite intriguing. Might have to check it out.
Intriguing indeed.

Full lager face masks.
Spas with a full head on them.
Complimentary head butts, or head butt remedies (take your pick.)

In all seriouslyness, I think we're going to have to wait for Groin guru's take on this, from which we can then spend hours trying to work out what's serious and what's a - err - pisstake.

Last edited:

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In all seriouslyness, I think we're going to have to wait for Groin guru's take on this, from which we can then spend hours trying to work out what's serious and what's a - err - pisstake.
Thank you for alerting me to this serious issue Kimbo. I assure you this is a completely serious issue.

Choose your friends wisely. If they are going to get you into trouble you need to cut them and find new friends. If you get head-butted it's because you've either got a slow reaction time or you were intoxicated enough to impair your reaction time - either way that's not someone you want to be spending time with. If Marley has friends that have a better reaction time than he does it will challenge him to improve his own.

Also, choose your establishments wisely - hanging around a place operated by Dane Swan is probably going to increase your risk of getting into trouble.

During the season there should be a strict 12 am curfew. They shouldn't be getting any less than 8 hours sleep a night. If you do a 6 am recovery session down at the beach it should be lights out by 9 pm and asleep by 10 pm. Sleep hygiene is important. You can buggerise around post-football and then hang out with degenerates like Swan all you want.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What gets me is that The Prophet has been on the money twice now. Broke the story before the msm.

Normally this forum loves breaking news, scoops, inner scrotum type gossip.

Several posters here love to pretend they know things others don't know and shamelessly self-promote.

The Prophet, on the other hand, has not big-noted himself. Simply given the scoop. Twice.

And now he is being criticised for it?

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
It’s a January Sat night in Melbourne. Doesn’t get dark til 9? Being out til 2 isn’t too hard this time of the year.

But if it’s at Dane Swans venue who’s retired and you’re a good mate, there’s a fair chance you’re up to some shenanigans. Fair enough too if you work hard all week, it’s the off season and you’re on good coin. I would too at that age and in that ‘form’.

Partying and a wellness centre are not mutually exclusive either. Having a good time can be relaxing and help you get focused too. Particularly if work stresses you out - and professional footballing can be a stressful game as other happenings at the club this off season have demonstrated.

The club will have rules and if he breaks them, they’ll come down on him. Simple.
Good post.

The bolded is pretty much it, and I'm comfortable with that.

Gee we're turning into a nanny state. A 25 year old having a drink at 2am is stock standard for 25 year olds.

Carey and co would be shaking their heads hoping he kicked on until 7am and then backed it up the next day.
A 25yo drunk and in a fight according to Police. Hardly nanny state if true.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
Gee we're turning into a nanny state. A 25 year old having a drink at 2am is stock standard for 25 year olds.

Carey and co would be shaking their heads hoping he kicked on until 7am and then backed it up the next day.

Turn it up mate, Wayne Carey v Marley Williams.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Whilst this whole Marley thing is just a storm in a tea cup, I’m having serious concerns about The Albion as a hangout

Have picked up from there a few times, and it’s starting to remind me of The Tunnel of the 90s

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I take in the post before checking who the poster is, and I read this second line wrongly the first time.

Not delighted to see this story, and certainly not keen to see our list being pulled towards the old Collingwood culture, espcially the younger boys.

But to be honest, I'd have been ok with picking up "Marley Williams in 2 am fight" in the preseason sweep - it's hardly shocking news. He is not going to become a completely different person, just a somewhat more focused and disciplined version - if the positives outweigh the difficulties and his attitude to football and his teammates is generally what the club wants, I'll keep faith too. If Heath has polished this up, then I'm hoping it's because the balance of what the club sees from him makes it worthwhile, and he isn't what The Prophet suggests. He's handy at his best, but hardly a player you'd bend over backwards to accommodate if his actions were really threatening massive trouble for himself, the club and his teammates.

Fingers crossed.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The only thing nanny are the old folks that refer back to 20+ years ago and still think the same rules apply. Back then players still had full-time jobs and didn't train every day. Back then you could smoke in the change room and swig a beer and everything was fine.

The professionalism in sport has evolved and the only people that got left behind were you. You know what also changed? Player pay. They can go back to drinking til 7am if they want, but instead of an average wage of 375k they could just get 150k instead.

Where the **** have you spent your entire life? A convent?
Bless you my son. I am talking about the general reaction - given his priors I don’t think the club would be too impressed at him being pissed at 2am in a pub. Nanny state? At times absolutely, but this does not warrant that comparison.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Bless you my son. I am talking about the general reaction - given his priors I don’t think the club would be too impressed at him being pissed at 2am in a pub. Nanny state? At times absolutely, but this does not warrant that comparison.

Priors? He's not a ****en bank robber.

It's a complete nothing event.

The fact that a mature bodied AFL player didn't start decking people left, right & centre is actually cause to commend him on his restraint!!!

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Maybe so. Hope so.

I respect you GK as a good long time North poster and a staunch member of the club, but nanny statism is one thing, turning it on one of our own is another.

When it comes to a North person and an outsider, the North person is ALWAYS right, even when they're wrong!

I respect you GK as a good long time North poster and a staunch member of the club, but nanny statism is one thing, turning it on one of our own is another.

When it comes to a North person and an outsider, the North person is ALWAYS right, even when they're wrong!
Fair call. I feel ashamed. I suppose his “priors” were Collingwood issues so that absolves him of all balme.

Back