Past #2: Marley Williams - delisted after 60 NM games/5 NM goals - thanks Marley

Whilst this whole Marley thing is just a storm in a tea cup, I’m having serious concerns about The Albion as a hangout

Have picked up from there a few times, and it’s starting to remind me of The Tunnel of the 90s

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good times picking up at the tunnel...

Also ... have you lot watched Marley play? Like Tef said, he was backing up a mate who got headbutted.
I want to see that sort of thing from my team's players. Especially Marley, who is an old school contested defender who hates losing contests. And as has been noted, if he'd wanted to he could have gone the Jake da Muss route.

Also ... have you lot watched Marley play? Like Tef said, he was backing up a mate who got headbutted.
I want to see that sort of thing from my team's players. Especially Marley, who is an old school contested defender who hates losing contests. And as has been noted, if he'd wanted to he could have gone the Jake da Muss route.

Yeah, not a huge fan of violence, but I absolutely subscribe to the 'helping a mate who was headbutted' code.

And like you say, Marley could have gone full ham but he's a changed man now. From his Wellness Centre to his patented, rapidly-growing-in-popularity spoon, Marley has become a veritable poster boy for good vibes.

Leave him alone. All of you. Etc.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne

too many weights not enough speed work ?

Yeah, not a huge fan of violence, but I absolutely subscribe to the 'helping a mate who was headbutted' code.

And like you say, Marley could have gone full ham but he's a changed man now. From his Wellness Centre to his patented, rapidly-growing-in-popularity spoon, Marley has become a veritable poster boy for good vibes.

Leave him alone. All of you. Etc.

Thank you TOD!

Marley, by his own admission, has transformed into a whole new person and changed for the better due in good part to his time at North. How quickly some on here are to cast judgement on one of our own is disappointing, and a bit shocking really. To cast doubt on his integrity as a person shows a lack of faith in what our club has accomplished with respect to giving players a solid grounding to build from, both on field and off. Marley's still a good soul. An even better one, in my opinion, for standing up for a friend.

Hootini

Team Captain
Jun 9, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So, Marley Williams football ability and such, that's a s**t load less depressing to talk about in comparison than practically nothing bar fights or whatever the * snake is saying.

Where's he gotta improve? What do we need him to pick up this year? Does he even really need to? The defence as a whole is going to be juddered around a bit, is it going to create a need for him to do more or just different?

Someone on here (apologies, I can't remember who!) I think rightly pointed out that it takes about 2 years to fully recover from back surgery. I'm pinning my hopes on them being right, and us seeing the springy, quick Marley of old return. It felt to me like he only had about 80% of his physicality back last year, and he seemed a more subdued version of himself. But that's just my subjective impression of watching him.

It might end up having to be a bit of both - more and different, depending on how well he's got his body back, and the confidence of mind that comes with it. If he returns to his previous tough-as-nails lockdown defender self, with a good helping of his signature killer run down tackles, and gets that beautiful jumping bounce back to his every move, then I think he's a lock for the backline for a goodly portion of games. I sure hope so, because he's one of my favourite players to watch when he's in full Marley-mode. Fingers crossed.

50-50 as to whether he gets up to play round one. Wasn’t a tear but a mild calf strain he got in JLT2
He said yesterday he was just taken off as a precaution and should be right for next week. I guess we will see

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
1552864129627.png

<Lion in the sand>

Let's stay on topic from hereon.

Back to Marley. We need another of his type. Quick, strong one on one and a small defender that offers a bit of rebound. Hopefully pittard can solve part of that, but I feel we need to hit the draft for a genuine small defender and small forward.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Back to Marley. We need another of his type. Quick, strong one on one and a small defender that offers a bit of rebound. Hopefully pittard can solve part of that, but I feel we need to hit the draft for a genuine small defender and small forward.

Yep, Pittard.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
giphy.gif

So, Marley Williams eh?

Glad you asked.

Seniors List
Marley Williams
Height 181cm
DOB 22-07-1993
Weight 83kg
Debut 2012
Games 201822 (that's a lot of games)
Goals 20181 (averaging less than a goal per game - delist)
2018 AFL Fantasy Points Total 1180 Avg 54
WILLIAMS%20Marley.png

AT A GLANCE
Junior clubs: North Albany (WA)
Recruited from: Collingwood
Draft: #35, 2011 Rookie (COLL)
Debut: Round 9, 2012 v Adelaide (COLL)

STRENGTHS
- Line breaking
- Shutting down opposition small forwards
- Public drunkenness

JUMPER CLUB MEMBERS
- Whybrow Fabrications
- Bigfooty Marley Williams Player Thread
- John Aaron & Sam La Spina

BACKGROUND: PRE-NMFC

Williams gained a reputation as a strong, line-breaking player over five seasons at Collingwood.
The defender finished seventh in the Magpies' best and fairest in just his second season, and went on to play 68 games for the club.
He was traded to North Melbourne at the end of 2016 in exchange for pick 105.

SEASON BY SEASON
After an impressive start to his time at North in 2017, many were eager to see what Marley Williams had in store, and he didn’t disappoint.
Williams featured in all 22 games, and played an important role, often assigned to the opposition’s most dangerous small forward such as Eddie Betts and Luke Breust.

The 25-year-old played his 100th game in Round 20’s win over Brisbane.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
How likely is Marley’s selection this week?

He's in all day mate. Will take Walters (forward), and some spud (Giro, Duman, Colyer etc.) when Walters is onball.

shinboner spiggs

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Jazz, West Indies
Held Cameron magnificently until he went off with an ankle and Cameron caught some breaks.

Footy can be a cruel game.
Was the battle of the day, surpassing Andrews Brown. Marley killed him until he got hurt. But the mark of an absolute star is how he takes his opportunities when he's not having his day. Cameron is an absolute star.

Back