Past #2: Marley Williams - delisted after 60 NM games/5 NM goals - thanks Marley

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year he played a really good offensive role. Teams even started using their small forwards to stop him running out.

I wonder where that’s gone now.
No he didn't. Has always been a liability with the ball

Would be one of our higher-rated players in the goal assist and score involvement stats. Every week there are at least two goals scored directly from Williams' disposals.

Had the spatial awareness of a lemming last night.

Good player, bad night.
It was a very standard Williams game from my perspective. He's a competitive bugger that gives his all but his decision making, poise under pressure, and disposal are dreadful. Delist!

Last edited:
Just posting this as a thought. Any chance that Marley is better when our players are working better up the field to create options for him to kick to? ie More run and spread?
He’s a long way from an elite kick, so taking that risky option is always exactly that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the dilemma is lets say we get rid of him, then god forbid our lockdown defenders are either out-of-form or injured, we're screwed

Keep him on for one more year. I reckon he looks a bit chunky. Needs to have a good pre-season.

Just posting this as a thought. Any chance that Marley is better when our players are working better up the field to create options for him to kick to? ie More run and spread?
He’s a long way from an elite kick, so taking that risky option is always exactly that.

This could be said for most of our players, especially our defenders. There's just no movement forward of the ball at the moment. No options presenting. Very few people get to AFL level and are legitimately s**t kicks. It certainly makes difficult kicks even harder when there's nothing ahead of you, and can be the difference for some guys.

This could be said for most of our players, especially our defenders. There's just no movement forward of the ball at the moment. No options presenting. Very few people get to AFL level and are legitimately sh*t kicks. It certainly makes difficult kicks even harder when there's nothing ahead of you, and can be the difference for some guys.

I might be guilty of viewing Williams through the perspective that I don't rate him at all but gee he seems to hand shots on goal to the opposition on a regular basis due to lack of composure, bad decision making, and woeful skills. There were at least two on Saturday. His best disposal does nothing to hurt the opposition. My vote would be to thank him for his service and wish him well with his football future, wherever that might be.

Disagree, his rebound work for a period was top notch.

i previously rated him highly because he always won one on ones and he always used to get possessions higher up the ground and bomb to the wing, so i never really saw much of the 'terrible' disposal collingwood fans would carry on about.

This year now that north can't win a long bomb contest of out defense to save itself it's very noticeable his poor disposal and decision making. he's clearly been told that he cannot just bomb it out and he's second guessing everything. add the the fact he clearly has no confidence and this is the result.

i feel for him a bit, previous years he was given the best small forward and didn't have to think too much when coming out of defense, that seems to have changed a lot of late. he has great physical attributes that are easily AFL standard...just doesn't seem to have the smarts to adapt to need game plans. i guess that's what a defining feature of being an AFL player is these days, if you can't change in adequate time to new directives then you're a liability, no matter what natural abilities you have.

Still don't understand why we haven't given him a run in the fwd. line. No Turner, Taylor, Thomas. Jack's been out. He'd certainly scrap to keep the ball in there.

i said this about atley too, imho he played best in 2017/18 in the forward line.

marley is great one on one and his evasive skills are better than most in our team...not to mention can tackle and pressure.

Always really liked Marley.

Sat night has done him no favours to be recontracted that's for sure........

I'm not writing him off though, he is still a solid defender

Remove this Banner Ad

Back