Autopsy 2-men down on the bench Brions spank Dogs 108-67

Remove this Banner Ad

So many players had bad games tonight. What made it appear worse was that our structures completely broke down. We now can't afford to have English out of this team, he's so important for his multi-skills.
He is literally the only guy in our side that can reliably go behind the ball, take a contested marks and stop attacks dead.

With the quality in our midfield why do we need to roll an extra up to the stoppage?
Maybe that's the illusion we've created for ourselves by having the extra midfielder? Perhaps as a group they're not quite the quality we imagined. They get a lot of stats because they handball it around at lightning speed until they find an escape route with the extra player.

It's just a thought. I hadn't considered it before.

Bont, Macrae and Libba are outstanding of course. Smith was absent. Not so sure about Dunks and Treloar and whoever else rotates through the guts. Dunks and Adz have had great games at times but they don't perform as consistently well as those first three.

That game was a prime example of why backing off the mark religiously doesn’t work. Brisbane like to chip the ball out of defence then go quick from the middle, yet time and again they were given both space and the ability to kick the ball straight away before players can set up. Last week Melbourne quickly shut that space down and gave them nowhere to go, but unlike Melbourne the bulldogs also don’t hold a single defender back so there’s plenty space to work with when it does go inside. The Lions only had 50 inside 50s but took 16 marks, the territory advantage is always due to midfield winning the ball in tight which they did well again tonight.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cameron playing with Tom Hawkins rule book. Ridiculous how he shoves opponents under the ball and gets away with it.
We dont seem to push the boundaries or have players that push the boundaries like other teams do in terms of blocks and pushes etc

hence we traditionally have a better free kick differential, but currently we are not getting them and its hurting.

doesnt help that umpires now refuse to give naughton a free since Bevo's pressor

The odds were always stacked against us tonight.
Our current backline would struggle against an average VFL attack.
When we get a few of our injured players back we should still win games regardless but we will struggle against the top sides because we won't be able restrict their forward supply enough to compensate enough for our super leaky defence.

We need Zaine Cordy back in asap. Gardner continues to play horrendously when the team actually needs him to stand up and perform.

Found a player in Bedendo didn’t look out of place
Impressive in the first half. Almost invisible in the second half (2 disposals).

No disgrace. He'll learn a lot from that. We need to persist with him unless we get a bunch of stars back next week.

That game was a prime example of why backing off the mark religiously doesn’t work. Brisbane like to chip the ball out of defence then go quick from the middle, yet time and again they were given both space and the ability to kick the ball straight away before players can set up. Last week Melbourne quickly shut that space down and gave them nowhere to go, but unlike Melbourne the bulldogs also don’t hold a single defender back so there’s plenty space to work with when it does go inside. The Lions only had 50 inside 50s but took 16 marks, the territory advantage is always due to midfield winning the ball in tight which they did well again tonight.

Bev is no doubt a good coach but this one tactic has hijacked our season. Players confusion of it cost us early critical games. We understand it better now but it’s been proven as non advantageous. We need to use the rest of the year to untrain it, it’s no good!

What a bunch of sad sacks!

During the week we were saying we need to win 5 of our last 8 (yes, some were saying 6 but historically 13 wins has been enough). Some of us were also saying that this week's game at the Gabba was going to be one of the hardest, along with Melbourne and Geelong. I was fully expecting a loss of about 20 points.

So we go up there and lose as expected and everyone says pull up stumps on 2022? Crikey, where's your ticker? I wouldn't want you lot beside me in the trenches.

We'll s**t it in against my the Swans next week and you'll probably all be up and about again. Sheesh!

Come on. Context is everything. After that first quarter should we have turned our toes up like that? Should we be pragmatic about dominating key stats like inside 50s and clearances and be happy we still lost by seven goals?

If we lost those stats and lost by 20 points it’d be acceptable. The way this one was lost was ludicrous. Butchery inside 50, nightmare goal kicking yet red carpet for Brisbane to go inside 50 and kick whatever they wanted.

Honestly, it’s like I’m watching a different game.

Yeah, I know, I think Cats were using it, but selectively. We just use it forward, back, midfield, at all times. It led to goals tonight by letting the offensive player run forward, and get momentum to kick further.

There was an instance tonight where Daniher had the ball on the boundary 55m out and the player backed off instead of pinning him in which allowed him to run to 50.

I think one of the major issues is we haven’t evolved from last year. Bar our finals run, the back half of our season was average and that coincided with English and Martin being out for patches and then Bruce going down with a knee.

We then got found out against Melbourne and broken down. Both in our game plan and mentally.

I don’t see any evolution since that grand final loss. The better teams have done their homework on us. Contain and limit our midfield dominance, apply heat at the contest and to our half back users, transition quickly to get us one v one in defence and organise your best interceptor to zone off when we send the extra to the stoppage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bev is no doubt a good coach but this one tactic has hijacked our season. Players confusion of it cost us early critical games. We understand it better now but it’s been proven as non advantageous. We need to use the rest of the year to untrain it, it’s no good!
not to mention the obligatory 50m penalty we give away every week from it

I agree that our backs are limited at times and I'm not a Scott fan...but he was a sitting duck on a number of occasions. Our mids are poor defensively and struggle to put good pressure on the ball carrier.

If weightman had the ball coming in like that tonight one on one he would have kicked 4 or 5 as well...

I think one of the major issues is we haven’t evolved from last year. Bar our finals run, the back half of our season was average and that coincided with English and Martin being out for patches and then Bruce going down with a knee.

We then got found out against Melbourne and broken down. Both in our game plan and mentally.

I don’t see any evolution since that grand final loss. The better teams have done their homework on us. Contain and limit our midfield dominance, apply heat at the contest and to our half back users, transition quickly to get us one v one in defence and organise your best interceptor to zone off when we send the extra to the stoppage.
yeah, you could see how easily Brisbane adjusted at quarter time to nullify our strengths and the game was over

Didn't give us much of a chance today so the result doesn't change much in the scheme of things. The way the wheels fell off after QT was disheartening and a cause for concern. Excellent first quarter, brought the heat but we were wasteful again and didn't get the lead we deserved.

Our defense is simply awful. They all look so vulnerable one on one, every time it goes in there I expect the opposition to score at the moment. Keath was exceptional last year and he hasn't got back to that level this year, we're not the same side without him carrying the defense and its too much reliance on one guy.

Felt sorry for Scott. Started the matchup fairly well but he was fighting out of his weight class and Cameron was a real difference maker when they got going.

I think a lot of the criticism to the backline is a bit misdirected, it was the by product of a woefully imbalances team. We lost effectively our three most defensively-oriented half-back flankers in Duryea, Richards and Daniel (Daniel's hands are so clean that he's very good at mopping up balls) and replaced them with two or three attacking minded players in Croizer, Scott (who tried but fundamentally has mainly played as a wing/mid/forward this year and AFL level) and Williams (who found form at AFL level by playing on the wing again).

Obviously the numbers don't add up exactly and there's spoils and plays outside defensive 50 but Brisbane had 32 shots from 50 inside 50's. And while Keath had 5, O'Brien had 4 and Gardner had 5 intercept possessions, not great but whatever, Williams only had 2 and Croizer only had 1. Our best footy this season has been when neither have been part of out half-back rotation this year, and there's a reason for that, proven by those stats.

You expected to lose by 41 points? After having more inside 50s?

They scored on over 50% of their forward 50 entries. Reckon that’s a decent reason to be disappointed
Didn't say I wasn't disappointed. I said I expected us to lose by about 20.
I was more disappointed that we lost by 7 goals instead of 3-4 because of the impact on our percentage but that's about it.
If we'd won with the outs we had this week I'd have been stunned. And over the moon.

There's a lot went wrong - there always is when you lose by 40 - and there's quite a bit to fix, but I'm confident we can do a fair bit of that, especially if we get English and Richards back next week and Bailey Smith the week after.

Agree that defence is an intractable problem right now especially with long term injuries to Duryea and Daniel. It will probably stop us seriously challenging for a flag but we can still cause quite a bit of damage along the way.

Beveridge:

Didn’t take our chance in the first half

Skills weren’t up to scratch

Brisbanes contest went to a new level in the second half that we couldn’t go to

Our turnover game was still good

Charlie Cameron brilliance turned the game

Thinks English will be okay but not a certainty

Daniel out for 2-3 weeks

Praised Bedendos first half

Not sure what was expected.

We literally have 2 small defenders in Durea and Richards who can defend. A shock a small forward dominated.

We are at least 1 if not 2 tall defenders short.

English is miles ahead of Sweet as a first ruck and as a footballer.

Schache is there when we have no other tall forwards and as a second ruck. He is not even close to Bruce and Darcy is probably already ahead of him.

We cannot afford to have 5 to 7 of our best 22 out as the depth replacing those out is inadequate.

The main disappointment is this.year is wide open and it is highly unlikely we will be anywhere near it when the whips are cracking.

We do not need a full overhaul just a genuine concentration on upgrading where we need for the AFL and ensuring the right structures for development in the VFL.

It is nit as bad as some are making out here but we are not winning anything this year but are not far off a genuine crack next year by addressing the issues above

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its absurd when you consider the technical frees that got Brisbane on their 5 goal roll that effectively ended the game in the second.
Precisely. If they'd been split or applied more equitably we might have only lost by about the 20 pts I was expecting.

It's not that dire folks.

Every time Schache looks like he is going to improve, he tanks.
McComb, Scott, Gardner, Schache, O'Brien and our backline are not up to it.
We need to recruit a serious tall defender.
Dunkley's delivery is attrocious both by foot and hand.
Serious look at not renewing Bevo's contract.

The season was over after the Geelong game, join me in letting this season go, it feels much better.

loved Bedendo's debut, is quicker than i thought, will make it

wasnt West's best game but the kid has something

TOB is good depth but we cant play both him and /gardner

Keith is just horrible at the moment

keep playing JUH and Bedendo, get Darcy a few games for a taste then send him back.
theres an easy bottom out for us this year with our draw, and a decent draft pick and a better draw for next year as reward.

this team could easily lose a final by 100 plus if they got the wrong matchup with a few out, no thanks!

must get a second ruck and key defender in the off season, and review coaches, gameplan, outside 5 tactic
Sorry, but you just can't give that message to an elite bunch of fierce competitive footballers.

Even if it did happen to be the best thing for us in the medium to long term (which I very much doubt).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back