Universal Love #2 Nathan Jones - Retired. Thank you Chunk

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it near impossible to be objective with Jones because of how much I respect the man I'll admit that.

I wonder if he is just having some trouble transitioning to a wing role? Bloke has been in the furnace for a decade and it must be hard standing 20m off a pack letting someone else do it especially for him. Has been average of late though.

I find it near impossible to be objective with Jones because of how much I respect the man I'll admit that.

I wonder if he is just having some trouble transitioning to a wing role? Bloke has been in the furnace for a decade and it must be hard standing 20m off a pack letting someone else do it especially for him. Has been average of late though.

I'm almost certain it's that. It'd be tough playing one position for over a decade and then trying to learn something new. I'll back him to improve significantly once he gets to grips with it.

whys everybody give more *s for Jones? bloke could have left for success but i guarantee he has been getting overs at Melbourne most his career. Bloke has looked cooked this year he'd wanna pull his finger out and stop just bombing it in i swear he is the no1 campaigner who does it or id be sending all 3 old campaigners into retirement. do we actually want to be a serious team or let a player stop our growth for another 30 games. i dont give a * about looking after any player if he keeps getting worse MFC success comes first over trying to coast a player through another year same goes for Lewis.

Jonesy is by no means performing badly, he simply isn't in the best 3 players at the club for the first time in a decade so is under greater scrutiny.

I'd still have only Oliver, Gawn, TMac, Viney, Hogan, Hibberd, Jetta, Lever, Brayhsaw ahead of him in terms of their current importance to the side.

Would like to see Petracca, Salem, Harmes, ANB, Hunt, OMac overtake him in the next 12 months.

whys everybody give more ****s for Jones? bloke could have left for success but i guarantee he has been getting overs at Melbourne most his career. Bloke has looked cooked this year he'd wanna pull his finger out and stop just bombing it in i swear he is the no1 campaigner who does it or id be sending all 3 old campaigners into retirement. do we actually want to be a serious team or let a player stop our growth for another 30 games. i dont give a **** about looking after any player if he keeps getting worse MFC success comes first over trying to coast a player through another year same goes for Lewis.
If we let Jones go at seasons end the same way we arseholed Junior McDonald, the club can GAGF.
You do not treat loyal clubmen who stuck it out when it was s**t that way. Who replaces him?
There is no way in hell he won't be playing for us next year.
He's definitely been a bit indifferent this year and has slowed up a bit but I reckon there's some adjustment required when going from being the main man for 5 years to being just a bit part player. We don't require him to crack in the way he used to have to when he was literally the only tough inside mid we had. The load is far more spread and all the kids have gone straight past him.
The club owes him a large debt of gratitude in sticking it out through some diabolical times. Yes he's made some good coin, but could have made a lot more elsewhere.

Jonesy is by no means performing badly, he simply isn't in the best 3 players at the club for the first time in a decade so is under greater scrutiny.

I'd still have only Oliver, Gawn, TMac, Viney, Hogan, Hibberd, Jetta, Lever, Brayhsaw ahead of him in terms of their current importance to the side.

Would like to see Petracca, Salem, Harmes, ANB, Hunt, OMac overtake him in the next 12 months.
Would say OMac is ahead of him - bad performance on Saturday shows that

whys everybody give more ****s for Jones? bloke could have left for success but i guarantee he has been getting overs at Melbourne most his career. Bloke has looked cooked this year he'd wanna pull his finger out and stop just bombing it in i swear he is the no1 campaigner who does it or id be sending all 3 old campaigners into retirement. do we actually want to be a serious team or let a player stop our growth for another 30 games. i dont give a **** about looking after any player if he keeps getting worse MFC success comes first over trying to coast a player through another year same goes for Lewis.
WTF?

I don’t reckon anybody has suffered as much for this club in its entire 150+ year history than Nate Jones. That sort of thing clearly doesn’t mean much to some. But it does to me. Jones could play until he was 45 and only capable of 10% game time as far as I’m concerned. Dumping him before it is absolutely necessary would be a total campaigner act and would strip the last bit of soul from this club. It would be James MacDonald bad by a factor of ten.

Agree with the bombing it in, used to be a much better decision maker I thought. Disagree with the rest, he still easily in our best 22, which means he is making our team better right now and helping the development by doing that while forcing young kids to earn a game. He isn't in our best 5 anymore, but would still be close to best 10.

Lewis and Vince on the other hand are arguably not best 22. I am beginning to think neither are best 25 even.

If we let Jones go at seasons end the same way we arseholed Junior McDonald, the club can GAGF.
You do not treat loyal clubmen who stuck it out when it was s**t that way. Who replaces him?
There is no way in hell he won't be playing for us next year.
He's definitely been a bit indifferent this year and has slowed up a bit but I reckon there's some adjustment required when going from being the main man for 5 years to being just a bit part player. We don't require him to crack in the way he used to have to when he was literally the only tough inside mid we had. The load is far more spread and all the kids have gone straight past him.
The club owes him a large debt of gratitude in sticking it out through some diabolical times. Yes he's made some good coin, but could have made a lot more elsewhere.
ok say we get Gaff where does Jones play then? could he go off the HBF in Lewis or Vince role? to slow and small cant mark for a Forward role and would rather Kent and AVB given a crack way better forwards than what Jones output would be. got better mids maybe he plays 60% game time like Tyson only plays or run with role but he isnt exactly flexible with where he can play. i went overboard ill admit that just getting over our captain who should be setting the example doing the dumbest s**t with his kicks its like the pace of the game has caught up to him so its just a quick high bomb. He will go around again no doubt but surely wont be captain or be guaranteed 25 games;)

Agree with the bombing it in, used to be a much better decision maker I thought. Disagree with the rest, he still easily in our best 22, which means he is making our team better right now and helping the development by doing that while forcing young kids to earn a game. He isn't in our best 5 anymore, but would still be close to best 10.

Lewis and Vince on the other hand are arguably not best 22. I am beginning to think neither are best 25 even.
just cause he is in best 22 players doesnt mean can throw him anywhere he is pretty limited to where he can play. i went overboard haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok say we get Gaff where does Jones play then? could he go off the HBF in Lewis or Vince role? to slow and small cant mark for a Forward role and would rather Kent and AVB given a crack way better forwards than what Jones output would be. got better mids maybe he plays 60% game time like Tyson only plays or run with role but he isnt exactly flexible with where he can play. i went overboard ill admit that just getting over our captain who should be setting the example doing the dumbest s**t with his kicks its like the pace of the game has caught up to him so its just a quick high bomb. He will go around again no doubt but surely wont be captain or be guaranteed 25 games;)
If we get Gaff I think Jones would still get his 50-60% time in the middle and there's nothing wrong with depth either.
Mature hard bodies are always welcome and whilst I agree his kicking has definitely gone backwards this year, I'd have him down on a back flank with 1 of Lewis or Vince because I'd spew if they both get a game next year.
I agree he lacks flexibility but for blokes who've given the club what he has, you just find a role for him.
Imagine the culture and feeling amongst the players if we arseholed him as soon as he shows signs of passing his best ala Junior Mac!
Interesting point about the captaincy though. I reckon it goes to Jack next year on his own.

If we get Gaff I think Jones would still get his 50-60% time in the middle and there's nothing wrong with depth either.
Mature hard bodies are always welcome and whilst I agree his kicking has definitely gone backwards this year, I'd have him down on a back flank with 1 of Lewis or Vince because I'd spew if they both get a game next year.
I agree he lacks flexibility but for blokes who've given the club what he has, you just find a role for him.
Imagine the culture and feeling amongst the players if we arseholed him as soon as he shows signs of passing his best ala Junior Mac!
Interesting point about the captaincy though. I reckon it goes to Jack next year on his own.

That's Jack I've hardly been fit in 2 years Viney?

That's Jack I've hardly been fit in 2 years Viney?
Haha yeah that's the one.
Obviously it works much better if he's fit and playing senior footy.
The VC choice would be crucial in this case.
I'd say Tmac.
Hearing Gus speak today, love how he presents himself. Is captain material if the opportunity comes up in a few years but obviously too early at this stage.

Will depend on his foot I think. If he is right and ready to go and they're confident it won't be a career long thing let him keep it, otherwise give it to TMac with Gawn vice IMO.

Haha yeah that's the one.
Obviously it works much better if he's fit and playing senior footy.
The VC choice would be crucial in this case.
I'd say Tmac.
Hearing Gus speak today, love how he presents himself. Is captain material if the opportunity comes up in a few years but obviously too early at this stage.

It's why Jones probably stays as skip another year. I'd prefer him to give it up and play with a little more freedom but you can't have your only captain with a s**t foot.

the problem is the outside roles Jones could play like wing/half back flank we are already too slow in at the moment with guys like Lewis and Vince both in the side. we need to improve in those positions next year and cant have slow blokes go around again or nothing will have changed from this year. I think we definitely retire Vince, and Lewis is contracted but hopefully loses his spot before the next years out, then it wont be so bad if we can fill one or two of those roles with some younger guys who can run, then we can afford to carry Jonesy for longer.

Have to agree with this, his skills have taken a complete nosedive, need him to step up in big moments of big games because he really hasnt been.

Off the top of my head;
Kicked a goal in the third - stepped up
Kicked a lovely left foot pass into the centre of the ground to set up a goal
Sent Selwood flying after putting his body on the line to contest the footy in the last quarter

He played some HBF last year and was fine at it, and is certainly going to be an improvement on Lewis in terms of mobility. If you put him in the forward line he'd be one of the few players in the side you can guarantee won't be leaping 12th man up at the contest so that could actually work. He used to have a few games where he slotted goals in his youth, but unlikely to see that kind of impact again, I'd think.

Still gets a game, though.

Talk of retirement is premature, talk of forced retirement is pathetic. He's going nowhere for two years at least, and losing Lewis and Bernie will require a teething period. Losing Jones as well would leave us totally exposed for experience. I believe Melksham and Garlett are the only other players on the list to have played 150, and Melksham reached it against Geelong.

Talk of retirement is premature, talk of forced retirement is pathetic. He's going nowhere for two years at least, and losing Lewis and Bernie will require a teething period. Losing Jones as well would leave us totally exposed for experience. I believe Melksham and Garlett are the only other players on the list to have played 150, and Melksham reached it against Geelong.
a couple of losses and this board wants half the 22 shipped off

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back