Universal Love #2 Nathan Jones - Retired. Thank you Chunk

Remove this Banner Ad

If Jones was guilty of anything early on it was trying to bust every tackle on him , and either getting caught or just pumping it long . I just hope the team performs for him and not s**t the bed out of fear of letting him down .

He’s still underrated in general I reckon. The MFC really should think itself lucky to have had this bloke over the last decade through all the admin and coaching cluster*s, not to mention the absolute barren wasteland that the player stocks have been for a lot of that time. Super lucky to have had such a loyal, determined, strong and kind leader around the place. Not even to mention the fact that he’s been a genuine A grade mid since, what, 2012 maybe?

He’s a dead set gun, club legend and I really hope he kicks on for 300 and captains a premiership.

Been my favourite player for a while now and I can’t see that changing soon.

On ya Jonesy!

Jones is so consistent I often glaze over his contributions. Love the man and l o v e what he did/is still doing for this football club. Absolute legend of the game and should be remembered as such. He's a humble leader of men and MFC has been exceptionally fortunate to include him as one of their own.

I remember his 200th was a disaster - belted at Subi and injured his ankle. Let's hope his 250th is a reversal.

What a warrior. He’s been so consistent for so long. He’s the bloke with Viney they you want fighting for the club. I’ll be most happy for him Loren than any other player should we win a flag in the next few years.

That's doesn't fit the shitkicking I'm getting over it thought lol
It's part of the process. Every time Biff copped a whack for discounting Chunk, Chunk got that little bit better.

In the spirit of continuous improvement and fostering a learning culture, we've recognised that Jones could have been an AA player if we had just stuck the boots in a bit further.

For Gus to become the player we all want him to be you're going to have to make a few sacrifices. Perhaps a trip or two to ICU...

There would be no greater justice than us winning 3-4 flags and Jonesy ending his career with as much success as blokes like Selwood who’ve known nothing but finals, or the arrogant flogs at Hawthorn. I’m sure he’d be happy with just once, but vengeance would be nice too :p

Yep. I moved to Melbourne in 2008. Even back then Jonesy was the player, and there were plenty who didn't, who would always be going at 100%. Should have been made captain sooner, and should be sole captain now.

Absolute all time great of the club. Statue worthy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think of that opening game of 2014 where he dominated and just carried the team. He doesn't dominate like that anymore but he doesn't have to and still has a lot to offer. Bloke has been though a lot just needs some success to go with the hard work.

Biff was on point about Jones at the time. Dude was a slower Harmes without the marking and had Tyson's penchant for getting caught holding the ball.

Wasn't an inside mid, wasn't quick, couldn't kick and couldn't tag. Was a manchild who's only string was hard work. Obviously a self made champ but he really did look bog for his first few years.

Biff was on point about Jones at the time. Dude was a slower Harmes without the marking and had Tyson's penchant for getting caught holding the ball.

Wasn't an inside mid, wasn't quick, couldn't kick and couldn't tag. Was a manchild who's only string was hard work. Obviously a self made champ but he really did look bog for his first few years.
I had Jones pegged as a spud who was going nowhere. I admired his strength and effort but didn’t rate him as an AFL player at all. I just wasn’t on a forum at the time so have been protected from anyone knowing about my all time terrible call.

He always seems to pick one bloke out chokehold them on the ground for a minute and avoid a wrestling fine.
Usually the opposition captain at least when it's a midfielder. I'd say it's his best leadership trait.

The thing with those blokes who work their tail off is if they can get games despite their average talent early, they tend to end up pretty good players. Funnily its why I'm big on Harmes - there's a lot to like about his game and he does work bloody hard.

There's plenty of examples out there of middling talents who have squeezed out every drop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back