Universal Love #2 Nathan Jones - Retired. Thank you Chunk

Remove this Banner Ad

Viney played like a post-op Jack Trengove today. It was scary. Baker's a good shout. Until we recruit some quick players that can kick, getting guys like Hunt and Baker to at least run 50 metres and kick 50 metres is better than nothing.

Viney played like we are gonna hear pretty soon about a flair up in his foot that cause him to 4-6

Yeah I'm not the biggest fan of that player normally but we need to shake it up a little, think we had like 18 off season surgeries? Looked like it. Majority looked spent after quarter time

Viney played like we are gonna hear pretty soon about a flair up in his foot that cause him to 4-6
I guarantee you this will happen by Thursday at the latest.

Facebook. @ melbournefc.

NEWS: Jack Viney will miss this week's trip to Geelong after a scan on his foot picked up a minor hotspot.

High Performance Manager Dave Misson says the club is disappointed to miss Jack again after a couple of tough seasons with injury, but he's confident that we've found the flare up early in the piece.

"Yeah look, Jack went for a routine (🤥) scan on Monday after pulling up a bit (🤥) sore after the Power game. Unfortunately it looks like his foot has flared up again, so we'll have him off-legs for a couple of weeks. We're confident he'll start running again in two weeks time (🤥), and all things going well (they won't), he won't miss a too significant amount [Misson always gives vague, grammatically incorrect timeframes] of footy".

Coach Simon Goodwin says it's "really tough on Jack from a personal point of view given his interrupted pre-season", but that it's also a "really exciting time for a couple of the younger mids to maybe get an opportunity at senior level".

I guarantee you this will happen by Thursday at the latest.

Facebook. @ melbournefc.

NEWS: Jack Viney will miss this week's trip to Geelong after a scan on his foot picked up a minor hotspot.

High Performance Manager Dave Misson says the club is disappointed to miss Jack again after a couple of tough seasons with injury, but he's confident that we've found the flare up early in the piece.

"Yeah look, Jack went for a routine (🤥) scan on Monday after pulling up a bit (🤥) sore after the Power game. Unfortunately it looks like his foot has flared up again, so we'll have him off-legs for a couple of weeks. We're confident he'll start running again in two weeks time (🤥), and all things going well (they won't), he won't miss a too significant amount [Misson always gives vague, grammatically incorrect timeframes] of footy".

You copy an paste that from the Trenners articles? Lol

I completely agree, most of his season might be gone again. He had no power in his step at all, nothing. He is far more worrying than Jones

The kid gloves people have used with Viney in comparison is embarrassing. Viney declared himself fit to play and stopped running in the 2nd quarter. But apparently he 'deserves a rest' whilst many want Jones at Casey next week. Even if we were to oust Jones with pitch forks, who do people want to come in? Billy Stretch? Corey Maynard? We have little depth, and the better depth players are injured anyway.

What kid gloves? I’m worried Vineys body is ****ed, no dodging the issue here. If you guys want to pretend Jones hasn’t been very average since the 2nd half of 2018 however you’re kidding yourselves.

What kid gloves? I’m worried Vineys body is ******, no dodging the issue here. If you guys want to pretend Jones hasn’t been very average since the 2nd half of 2018 however you’re kidding yourselves.

No one is pretending, but shock.. player who plays over 10 years as almost the only inside midfielder for a team doesnt immediately become a gun winger.
People are like ' no leadership from Jones' but whats he supposed to do? Come inside an win the ball? Thats what causes that overload in the contest that kills us.

I dont think Nathan Jones is one of our best players anymore, but im not retiring him off the back of one horrible game when he was clearly underdone

No one is pretending, but shock.. player who plays over 10 years as almost the only inside midfielder for a team doesnt immediately become a gun winger.
People are like ' no leadership from Jones' but whats he supposed to do? Come inside an win the ball? Thats what causes that overload in the contest that kills us.

I dont think Nathan Jones is one of our best players anymore, but im not retiring him off the back of one horrible game when he was clearly underdone

I’m not retiring him either, it’d be a shocking look if we forced him out this year. Can’t really drop him either because we have no midfield depth. Just think he’s past it as a player.

I’m not retiring him either, it’d be a shocking look if we forced him out this year. Can’t really drop him either because we have no midfield depth. Just think he’s past it as a player.

Its gonna be interesting what role he plays this year, I dont think he adapted well to being a winner an we have other inside options now.
He cant play forward or back. He probably needs to shed some muscle an become more a runner.

I avoided most of the threads but new the masses would overreact and call for his head after today’s game. I only watched the last quarter but sounded like it was symptomatic of his entire game.

Jones has the most credits in the bank of any player on our list, to stick by this club through 2012/13 shows his character and what type of person he is.

He has had a restricted pre season, and one game of vfl to then to come into an underdone and poorly performed 21 other players in hindsight a recipe for disaster.

Those calling for his head should have some more patience and respect for the man after a disappointing and frustrating loss.

Its gonna be interesting what role he plays this year, I dont think he adapted well to being a winner an we have other inside options now.
He cant play forward or back. He probably needs to shed some muscle an become more a runner.
So he isnt best 22 is what ya saying but we should keep him in cause he stayed loyal through the s**t times. Yeah hes been a good player and all that but he played like s**t last year and started the same we arent winning a flag with him in the team. Would rather blood a youngster on the wing/outside and get games into them for this year or next and if Jones finds some form then give him a crack. Why is he any different to Vince last year?

I’m not just going off one game here, I thought he was cooked at the end of last year. His skills have dropped off which is a surprise considering he is winning a lot more uncontested footy.
Last year was his worst since 2013 stats wise(played worse than that though) when we were ******* rubbish he looked as cooked as Vince or Lewis did/does but its alright to fade them out but not Jones. He needs to find form in the VFL and get his fitness up cant be giving him free games in this first month.

What happened last time we threw out experienced players. It worked wonders didn’t it.

It was one bad game. As the saying goes “can’t put an experienced head on young shoulders”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year was his worst since 2013 stats wise(played worse than that though) when we were ******* rubbish he looked as cooked as Vince or Lewis did/does but its alright to fade them out but not Jones. He needs to find form in the VFL and get his fitness up cant be giving him free games in this first month.
Cool, so lets drop the whole team. Think it through.

Yesterday was the worst game I've seen him play in years, it happens and I don't think we can drop him off 1 game. That said, he was clearly in decline last year too and doesn't seem suited to the role he's being played in. I'm not sure where he can play now and be effective given we have quality inside mids.

Really highlights a serious flaw in our list that he's playing wing/outside in the first place.

So he isnt best 22 is what ya saying but we should keep him in cause he stayed loyal through the s**t times. Yeah hes been a good player and all that but he played like s**t last year and started the same we arent winning a flag with him in the team. Would rather blood a youngster on the wing/outside and get games into them for this year or next and if Jones finds some form then give him a crack. Why is he any different to Vince last year?

He's still in our best 22. If Stretch, Baker, JKH, etc want his spot, lets see them put together some form at VFL level.

Yesterday was the worst game I've seen him play in years, it happens and I don't think we can drop him off 1 game. That said, he was clearly in decline last year too and doesn't seem suited to the role he's being played in. I'm not sure where he can play now and be effective given we have quality inside mids.

Really highlights a serious flaw in our list that he's playing wing/outside in the first place.

Yep, we're heavy with contested players and light on for skills / pace. Bringing Preuss and May in gave us more tall optionss, but we needed someone (or a few someones) like Gaff to come in and provide outlets and link up play. Kent was only good for half the games in a season, but he had pace, put on pressure, could kick goals and provide options, but we only really brought in Wagner from the VFL and Kolodashnij from the doctor's office. We're good odds to cop a hiding from the quicker sides when we play on the bigger grounds, and we didn't do much about that during the off-season.

He's still in our best 22. If Stretch, Baker, JKH, etc want his spot, lets see them put together some form at VFL level.
If Stretchs fitness base is up to AFL standard and Jones' isnt then id rather play Stretch til Jones has got some K's into his legs as bad as Stretch is. But cant have Jones and Viney walking as soon as the ball is 3m away. I thought Jones would finish his career up forward not as a slow sloppy wingman who cant help himself but go in as well.

If Stretchs fitness base is up to AFL standard and Jones' isnt then id rather play Stretch til Jones has got some K's into his legs as bad as Stretch is. But cant have Jones and Viney walking as soon as the ball is 3m away. I thought Jones would finish his career up forward not as a slow sloppy wingman who cant help himself but go in as well.

Eh, not sure Stretch offers that much either. Maybe an example needs to be made, and if so, Viney is the one for me given he did absolutely zero as an inside mid yesterday. Jones made some mistakes and was one of many of our unidirectional midfielders, but at least he was there to drop easy chest marks and kill the game off for us.

Agree that Jones probably should be playing in a pocket somewhere. Seems with him and Lewis we will be finding a spot for them somewhere, and its because of the tunnel-visioned-recruiting that we don't have a number of pacey wing options to choose from that he keeps getting a guernsey out there.

Eh, not sure Stretch offers that much either. Maybe an example needs to be made, and if so, Viney is the one for me given he did absolutely zero as an inside mid yesterday. Jones made some mistakes and was one of many of our unidirectional midfielders, but at least he was there to drop easy chest marks and kill the game off for us.

Agree that Jones probably should be playing in a pocket somewhere. Seems with him and Lewis we will be finding a spot for them somewhere, and its because of the tunnel-visioned-recruiting that we don't have a number of pacey wing options to choose from that he keeps getting a guernsey out there.
If both arent fit i wouldnt play either til they are id rather blood some 1st gamers like every other team seems to do. i was watching Jones around ground and it was doing my head in when he just walked around then the kicks n dropped marks set me off. How is our salary cap going? If Lewis and Jones retired years end could we fit in Coniglio. * how good would he be skilled outside goalkicking mid which we seem to have none of he is a ******* jet

If both arent fit i wouldnt play either til they are id rather blood some 1st gamers like every other team seems to do. i was watching Jones around ground and it was doing my head in when he just walked around then the kicks n dropped marks set me off. How is our salary cap going? If Lewis and Jones retired years end could we fit in Coniglio. **** how good would he be skilled outside goalkicking mid which we seem to have none of he is a ******* jet

Lewis and Jones would be on around 550-650 at a guess, they're both coming to the end of lucrative 3/5 year deals.

If both arent fit i wouldnt play either til they are id rather blood some 1st gamers like every other team seems to do. i was watching Jones around ground and it was doing my head in when he just walked around then the kicks n dropped marks set me off. How is our salary cap going? If Lewis and Jones retired years end could we fit in Coniglio. **** how good would he be skilled outside goalkicking mid which we seem to have none of he is a ******* jet

We played two debutants and Corey Wagner. We don’t need anymore youngsters, ideally we needed another 2 weeks of pre season.

Don’t jump at shadows after one loss.

Collingwood were 0-2 last year.

For mine one thing that really hurt us was May being reckless and copping one week suspension. Westoff kicks 5.

But we played that bad yesterday as a collective, one player wouldn’t of made the difference

I agree with Saj, I was as disappointed as anyone with his performance yesterday, but after sleeping on it I reckon it's only fair he's given a few weeks to get his fitness up before calling for his head.

In an ideal world we wouldn't have selected him coming off that preseason, Goodwin is as much at fault for his performance as anyone.

Much more concerned with the continued shithouse performances from the likes of Petracca, he should be the one carrying our aging vets who aren't fit like Jones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back