Universal Love #2 Nathan Jones - Retired. Thank you Chunk

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Few on the Freo board saying his disposal is s**t.

I guess with all the evil that has befallen this club it’s hard to get excited about anyone right now. For example, I know in my heart of hearts that Brad Hill is a very good player and he is exactly what we need. However, I have no faith that the current coach & co would be able to fully utilise his talents. Ed Langdon is another player who cannot kick, depressing times.

Langdon is an average kick at best but you cannot argue he isn't a significant upgrade on any wingmen we have on the list right now. As long as we don't pay something stupid for him I'm all for it.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Langdon is an average kick at best but you cannot argue he isn't a significant upgrade on any wingmen we have on the list right now. As long as we don't pay something stupid for him I'm all for it.
But are we going for the best? Is it the best there is? I worry about just bringing in average players, we really need to try and set the bar high.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Just sign him up already for whatever he wants, he deserves it after sticking with us during the darks days when I’m sure better offers were around.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
But are we going for the best? Is it the best there is? I worry about just bringing in average players, we really need to try and set the bar high.

Dumb mindset Langdon is better than average and the best aren't going to come to your club every year.

Just sign him up already for whatever he wants, he deserves it after sticking with us during the darks days when I’m sure better offers were around.

We would have never had an offer we couldn't better in terms of $$$

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jokes has been payed well above worth nearly his whole career with Melbourne.

I'd like to preface this by saying I'm not knocking the bloke, as his record demands respect as a club champion, but...

Nathan Jones has never been anything better than a solid footballer who's gotten a lot out of himself and worked hard to improve his deficiencies. He will never be viewed as a great of the game, in the same breath as Joel selwood, Luke Hodge or Josh Kennedy. Under his leadership, we've had a camp called off, constant failure in high pressure matches (I'll give him 2 finals wins), and inconsistent effort plaguing the team, not only from week to week but from quarter to quarter.

Take off the Melbourne coloured glasses, if Jones was playing for any other team, he would never have been in the conversation of players we wish we had on our list. While he has had some great games in his career, he is only so adored from Melbourne supporters for being loyal when we were at our lowest- a trait I will always respect him for.

Simple fact is he has multiple best and fairest wins at a club that has been incredibly disappointing and poor for the duration of his career, sans about 30 games. He's never pulled brownlow votes of any significance, he's never even been in the all Australian squad, least the team. He's never been near the pointy end of coaches voting, media awards or even champion data ranking, for what it's worth. If he was playing at Geelong or Sydney, chances are he would be looked at being moved on well before now.

A club great? He's earned that. But he doesn't even hold a candle to the record of about 20 current day players as a leader or player.

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hope the club and him come to some agreement. Been a loyal servant/veteran of the club who stuck with us and led us through the dark times. Would hate to see his career end on a sour note.

deeco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hope the club and him come to some agreement. Been a loyal servant/veteran of the club who stuck with us and led us through the dark times. Would hate to see his career end on a sour note.
Hope he repays the faith the club has shown in him as an utterly inept on field leader and knows when to call it quits. He's been the one driving the standards for the majority of our dreadful past decade. Yes we've had s**t coaches, s**t board, crippling injuries and machette attacks to deal with. He's been a constant through the whole debacle.

But how much do we need an extra plodder on field right now?

Do you crave seeing the bloke run around and ruin a promising chain by hoofing it onto his boot without even so much as a glance up field 5-6 times a game?

As his body starts to slow down, we can't fit him in our inside mid brigade, he can't play outside, he can't defend, he isn't much chop as a forward, he isn't an inspiring figure, he doesn't lift his team mates to greater heights. I just don't know where you fit him in. He's been a great servant but hasn't exactly draped himself in glory other than being the only bloke stubborn, lucky and durable enough to have out lived all of his contemporaries. I mean for * sake, we picked 2 virtual rookies ahead of him as captain at one point.

I hope for his sake, the clubs reputation and his legacy he retires at end of year.

Oceanlabxo

Debutant
Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Simple fact is he has multiple best and fairest wins at a club that has been incredibly disappointing and poor for the duration of his career, sans about 30 games. He's never pulled brownlow votes of any significance, he's never even been in the all Australian squad, least the team. He's never been near the pointy end of coaches voting, media awards or even champion data ranking, for what it's worth. If he was playing at Geelong or Sydney, chances are he would be looked at being moved on well before now.

A club great? He's earned that. But he doesn't even hold a candle to the record of about 20 current day players as a leader or player.

Hey, he polled 27 votes over 2 years where we had a combined 8 wins. Guy might not be in the best of the best but he had some very good years.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jeez some of you lot have a short memory. Super grateful for what he has done for our club and hope we can find a fair balance with him that reflects his current position on the list, but also everything he has contributed.

He has been overpaid most of his career can we please stop pretending he turned down millions to stay with us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
He has been overpaid most of his career can we please stop pretending he turned down millions to stay with us?

If Jones is overpaid, pretty much every player we've had on the list for the last 15 years has been overpaid, with plenty of those players being paid far more than their output deserved.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
If Jones is overpaid, pretty much every player we've had on the list for the last 15 years has been overpaid, with plenty of those players being paid far more than their output deserved.
This isn't just opinion. This is a fact. Players were paid, and I'm sure I could find proof, around 2011 or so above market value.

It was done to project their worth going forward. Names like watts, blease, trengove, frawley etc

Billy Demon

Senior List
Jun 12, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think we should give him another 12 months but on the basis he may not be in our best 22 each week. He might have to spend some time providing onfield guidance in the 2nds. He has been loyal and he has been through hell playing for this club. Giving some loyalty back to N Jones is not a bad thing.

Last edited:
Am a bit disappointed this is being played out across the media .
This football club has leaked like a sieve since we changed CEO. Funny how the opposite happened at Collingwood when they changed: the club tightened up.

TheGateKeeper

Debutant
May 24, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is right on it! I believe that we should halt all player payments, and replace them with one poorly warmed black and gold meat pie and a can of room temperature rc cola. Best a field can get a voucher to a pizza shop on Sydney road that has just passed its council inspection. Because the more recognised versions would be also paying incredible overs for the utter shite I have watched for the last 15 years.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
This isn't just opinion. This is a fact. Players were paid, and I'm sure I could find proof, around 2011 or so above market value.

It was done to project their worth going forward. Names like watts, blease, trengove, frawley etc

Yes, our list was utter shite and we had to overpay many vegetables to meet the minimum cap requirements. I'd be lining up all of the above before wanting to pot shot Jones for being compensated for playing with Sam Blease, James Sellar and Dean Terlich.

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves
This football club has leaked like a sieve since we changed CEO. Funny how the opposite happened at Collingwood when they changed: the club tightened up.

There is no way this is coming from the club - especially in a week where we've basically confirmed 17th and fans are ready to punch on - it's straight from manager to journo to put heat on the club.

indevelopment

Debutant
Sep 27, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
take the captaincy of jones next year for sure but give him the chance to hit 300 games. it will be good for the club in the long run, even if they come to an agreement that he perhaps should retire mid season once he hits 300. just to have one other name in the record along side neita to have actually made it to the milestone will mean a lot to future supporters and melbourne (always) has to look to the future supporters. i'm 46 and have seen some good times, my kid is 15 and has maybe seen a positive win ratio twice in her life. little postive milestones do matter in the long run, not just to the player involved.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back