Universal Love #2 Nathan Jones - Retired. Thank you Chunk

Won't play beyond 2020 at this stage. The club won't force him out this year but geez he is slowing down. Clangers at critical moments just like the 2nd half of 2018. Respect what the guy has done for the club but feel a lot of our fans are ignoring how average he is looking atm.

If he keeps that up he will be in trouble, but he's had a poor preparation and that showed yesterday.

I think he'll respond well this week.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
I agree with Saj, I was as disappointed as anyone with his performance yesterday, but after sleeping on it I reckon it's only fair he's given a few weeks to get his fitness up before calling for his head.

In an ideal world we wouldn't have selected him coming off that preseason, Goodwin is as much at fault for his performance as anyone.

Much more concerned with the continued shithouse performances from the likes of Petracca, he should be the one carrying our aging vets who aren't fit like Jones.

He definitely on the way down / out though, probably pocket is the way to go. I'm inclined to let him get fit as Blitz says, it's not like he provides any intangibles that make him worth keeping on the field when unfit.

Agree on Petracca, He is a decent B grader, and will never be more. Hope he can get a bit more even and become a decent contributor though.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The match committee who decided that he an Viney were ready for the intensity of round 1 based off of half a game at Casey have alot to answer for.

Trying to base your decisions off that game around him are as futile as the 1st pre season game, thats clearly not a fit persons game.
The real issue was both of them can only play in the midfield which is the worst place for someone to find fitness, Viney cant play forward I dont know why people think its an option, he has terrible vision and goal sense.

The match committee who decided that he an Viney were ready for the intensity of round 1 based off of half a game at Casey have alot to answer for.

Trying to base your decisions off that game around him are as futile as the 1st pre season game, thats clearly not a fit persons game.
The real issue was both of them can only play in the midfield which is the worst place for someone to find fitness, Viney cant play forward I dont know why people think its an option, he has terrible vision and goal sense.
The value in Viney playing forward pocket is that his pressure is superb. But that's less of an advantage when he's flat-footed.

Do they have too much say in regards to playing?

Makes me think of;

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

I don't know, Melksham played well and he had very similar preparation. Maybe Viney should have had another hit out at Casey, but i feel Jones simply had a shocker. That was probably the worst game by a captain I've ever seen.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I don't know, Melksham played well and he had very similar preparation. Maybe Viney should have had another hit out at Casey, but i feel Jones simply had a shocker. That was probably the worst game by a captain I've ever seen.

Mate that's such an over exaggeration.
Melksham play ok, he also kicked 4 into the man on the mark.
Viney had 0 clearances
Jones didn't play well but the hyperbole around his game has been crazy.
Viney was worse than Jones

Trengove and Grimes played a 2 seasons of worse games than that, Brad Green was shithouse as captain.

Last edited:

Demons Advocate

Senior List
Jul 11, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
He made some comments on radio along the lines of "I made some clangers, I'm embarrassed but s**t happens. It's round 1 and we will redeem ourselves" and frankly that is all this is. He is not the player he once was, that is obvious. He was never Judd lol he was an honest trier and still is. As stated above he was better than Viney and at least lifted in the second half when we needed someone to.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
F@&$ the haters

Love ya Jonesy

3 goals, actually thought he still wasn't great and had a fair few howlers with ball in hand, but was definitely better tonight.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
From what I saw looked like both captains found some touch. Also kicked a 'captains' goal. Hopefully he can keep building towards his best footy. May not be as good as he was 5 years ago but he's a lot better player than what he's shown this year.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Season high 12 pressure acts(3 since 1/2 way through second), season high tackles with 3(1 since 1/2 way through 2nd), season high goals with 3, season high 6 turnovers, season low de57%. Without the 3 goals was another average game but either way im glad his positioning was better tonight and went into the middle abit more

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Season high 12 pressure acts(3 since 1/2 way through second), season high tackles with 3(1 since 1/2 way through 2nd), season high goals with 3, season high 6 turnovers, season low de57%. Without the 3 goals was another average game but either way im glad his positioning was better tonight and went into the middle abit more

But he kicked 3 goals. All at crucial times.

If your Aunty had balls she’d be your uncle.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
What a ******* shock that after no pre season it took him a couple weeks to get going. People questioning his leadership should front up in here

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
I'll front up. He had a great game by the sounds of it (i only watched the last quarter) Did he spend more time forward, as I suggested previously?

I'll also stand by my view. I think he's a fantastic bloke and has been a fantastic player (on the way down no obviously), but has not been a fantastic captain, and I don't think he brings a tonne of leadership. One game here or there not gonna change that for me.

I'm not a hater, love the bloke, just don't think he's a great captain (and probably not the worst we had either, in fact it's impossible for anyone to ever take that mantle from the Co-captains)

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
What a ******* shock that after no pre season it took him a couple weeks to get going. People questioning his leadership should front up in here
Wont kick 3 goals next week and his game will be back to rubbish but you campaigners can have this week. His role did look to change abit though whether it has or hes just doing it better * knows. Hopefully it is the start of returning to form but it wasnt based off of 3 games it was the second 1/2 of last year as well

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Don't bag a bloke for one bad game but don't go over the top after one good one either (and it wasn't that good). We're back at the G with St Kilda next week - let's see the effort backed up before people start getting told to "front up".

Back