Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Don't bag a bloke for one bad game but don't go over the top after one good one either (and it wasn't that good). We're back at the G with St Kilda next week - let's see the effort backed up before people start getting told to "front up".

Nah when you say s**t like 'he never shows leadership' then you can't miss a chance to rub it in.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nah when you say s**t like 'he never shows leadership' then you can't miss a chance to rub it in.

And if Jones goes back to being mediocre next week, I don't want to read more "YOU ******* SEE Topkent YOU ******* campaigner, I WAS ******* RIGHT YOU ******* NONCE PIGDRIBBLING MIDGET". Who wants to read through pages of pages of tit for tat I Told You So as a guy's form fluctuates?

Edit: Not me, I should have added.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
And if Jones goes back to being mediocre next week, I don't want to read more "YOU ******* SEE Topkent YOU ******* campaigner, I WAS ******* RIGHT YOU ******* NONCE PIGDRIBBLING MIDGET". Who wants to read through pages of pages of tit for tat I Told You So as a guy's form fluctuates?

Edit: Not me, I should have added.

That blitznu impression is good enough for me to lower my sword.

Season high 12 pressure acts(3 since 1/2 way through second), season high tackles with 3(1 since 1/2 way through 2nd), season high goals with 3, season high 6 turnovers, season low de57%. Without the 3 goals was another average game but either way im glad his positioning was better tonight and went into the middle abit more
But imagine how good he would have been if he'd kicked six! The sky's the limit for young Jonesy.

I'll front up. He had a great game by the sounds of it (i only watched the last quarter) Did he spend more time forward, as I suggested previously?

I'll also stand by my view. I think he's a fantastic bloke and has been a fantastic player (on the way down no obviously), but has not been a fantastic captain, and I don't think he brings a tonne of leadership. One game here or there not gonna change that for me.

I'm not a hater, love the bloke, just don't think he's a great captain (and probably not the worst we had either, in fact it's impossible for anyone to ever take that mantle from the Co-captains)
Do...do you not remember where we were as a club when he took over as captain in 2014?

Do...do you not remember where we were as a club when he took over as captain in 2014?

I admire Jones for his loyalty, that doesn't make him a good leader necessarily though.

I reckon there are two sides that need to meet in the middle here, those that critise Jones far too heavily for a stalwart in the twighlight of his career, and those that refuse to fault him for anything and overlook his foibles just cause of his loyalty.

Paul Roos was the key to the clubs resurgence imo. Jones is no more or less admired by the playing group with or without the captaincy.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
I admire Jones for his loyalty, that doesn't make him a good leader necessarily though.

I reckon there are two sides that need to meet in the middle here, those that critise Jones far too heavily for a stalwart in the twighlight of his career, and those that refuse to fault him for anything and overlook his foibles just cause of his loyalty.

Paul Roos was the key to the clubs resurgence imo. Jones is no more or less admired by the playing group with or without the captaincy.

Couldn’t have said it better

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

I'm just razzing mostly, 95% of leadership is done behind close doors. A players skill seems to determine his leadership i.e if you play well in the last quarter you've shown leadership.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
But imagine how good he would have been if he'd kicked six! The sky's the limit for young Jonesy.
If he went 1goal 2 none of you campaigners could pipe up just lucky only spot he didnt shank it was at goal

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Loved Jones in this one. But we have to admit he seemed slow/old going for that loose ball halfway between the pocket and goal late in the game.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Does anybody reckon coming up against his bro had anything to do with him finding some form? Cause i know id be damned if my 2 lil bros are beating me at anything. Always find extra to beat those campaigners. Probably a stupid thing but just seeing him out there getting into Zac then the commentry after the game and the social media post. Seems bloody stoked about making his bro his bitch

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Does anybody reckon coming up against his bro had anything to do with him finding some form? Cause i know id be damned if my 2 lil bros are beating me at anything. Always find extra to beat those campaigners. Probably a stupid thing but just seeing him out there getting into Zac then the commentry after the game and the social media post. Seems bloody stoked about making his bro his bitch

I’m sure there was some extra motivation.

It was definitely a fun aspect to the game.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jones goes to equal third all-time games played for Melbourne this week. He then goes to equal second the week after.

If he plays out the year, he'll finish on 285 games. Assuming we don't play finals, and if he plays every game next season, he'd pass Neitz for outright first in the last round of next season.

I doesn't feel like he has been captain for that amount of games tbh
I know, funny to think back on. Started off as a Co Captain with Grimes in 2014, including this year that's 6 seasons as captain

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Willing to carry him to 300, but he's lucky that Neitz's record is only six more games bc he's on his last legs
All our blokes with younger and theoretically better legs are out injured or in deeply terrible form. I would post stats, but to save time you could just watch our s**t for any game in 2019.

He is best 22 and while I would love a young gun to come up behind and threaten his and others position, it’s not exactly on the cards at the moment

Back