Universal Love #2 Nathan Jones - Retired. Thank you Chunk

If he wants to play next year needs to accept most of it will be in the VFL unless we have a **** injury run.
Unless this is just a down year and he comes good? Would be silly to say "you will be playing VFL next year".

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
If he wants to play next year needs to accept most of it will be in the VFL unless we have a **** injury run.
It’s Jones. He will play wherever he is told is best for the team. That’s his thing - he’s never been an ego or a show pony so he’s hardly going to become one now.

Also we always have a s**t injury run.

Deelighted

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Seems to have regained his composure since switching position, not just blasting it forward. Been really good the last few weeks, knows when to take an extra moment with the ball to find a good option.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Another that had an interrupted pre season and is finding form now. Love his kicking off half back and composure - some of those side steps were vintage Jonesy. Hes so strong over the ball which I think makes up for his limited ability overhead.

The more optimistic side of me is hoping for a Bulldogs Matty Boyd type revival off half back, using his experience and composure to set up our attacks from the back half. Dees flag 2020 for Jonesy pls

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Also more inspo for Jonesy, Boak has had a ripping year at Port without the burden of the captaincy. From memory they're the same draft? Very similar players really, hovering around that B+/A- midfielder position for years.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Another that had an interrupted pre season and is finding form now. Love his kicking off half back and composure - some of those side steps were vintage Jonesy. Hes so strong over the ball which I think makes up for his limited ability overhead.

The more optimistic side of me is hoping for a Bulldogs Matty Boyd type revival off half back, using his experience and composure to set up our attacks from the back half. Dees flag 2020 for Jonesy pls
Hi side step thingy has been spot on the last few weeks. Amazing how someone with a footy brain and good balance can get himself time and space without being even remotely quick.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Hi side step thingy has been spot on the last few weeks. Amazing how someone with a footy brain and good balance can get himself time and space without being even remotely quick.
Agree with all that and he's also just powerful through the core.

Also more inspo for Jonesy, Boak has had a ripping year at Port without the burden of the captaincy. From memory they're the same draft? Very similar players really, hovering around that B+/A- midfielder position for years.
Boak also got moved back into the midfield for the first time in a couple of years, something that Jones won't get.

Boak has been a 2 time AA midfielder and will probably make that 3 times this year. Bloke is the epitome of an under rated player imo

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Boak also got moved back into the midfield for the first time in a couple of years, something that Jones won't get.

Boak has been a 2 time AA midfielder and will probably make that 3 times this year. Bloke is the epitome of an under rated player imo
I'm a bit of a Boak fan. Just a really good, tough player. Certainly doesn't get the attention he should.

Boak is a significantly better player than Jones. I don't think Chunk can improve too much more form wise than he has in the past month, and I think he's best suited to taking the burden of the captaincy. Not sure who else you give it to without compromising their performance.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't think any Port fans saw Boak's form as turning around as sharply as it did.

I agree he's probably the better player but he's also had the luxury of playing in better teams over the journey too. Depends how Viney goes in the 2nd half of the year, I think he's been much better in the last month or so. Maybe co-captain with Gawn with Jonesy stepping down and just concentrating on his game could be the best outcome for the club.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't think any Port fans saw Boak's form as turning around as sharply as it did.

I agree he's probably the better player but he's also had the luxury of playing in better teams over the journey too. Depends how Viney goes in the 2nd half of the year, I think he's been much better in the last month or so. Maybe co-captain with Gawn with Jonesy stepping down and just concentrating on his game could be the best outcome for the club.
I think we have one captain and that’s Gawn

Back