Right now, against the Bulldogs, I’d like to see this;

Jetta May Lever
Jones Frost Hibberd
Salem Oliver Fritsch
Harmes Weidemann Hunt
Petracca Preuss Lockhart
Gawn Viney Brayshaw
I/C Lewis, Dunkley, Hannan, ANB

Swap Oliver with Harmes and you have my vote.

Harmes has to sit on their best mid and I think Oliver has the versatility to provide something up forward.

Why has this forum collectively written off Hibberd? Every chance he has two good years left in him. Started in the system late. Having an ordinary year but that doesn’t mean it’s the end. Has to be an injury reason his kicking has lost penetration.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
In that case put Fritsch to HF. You like Oliver as a forward?

Either way is fine for me tbh.

I'm looking at it more from a midfield balance perspective. Viney and Brayshaw trusted to win the hard ball and Salem and Fritsch on the outside.

I think Oliver can play any of wing, inside and forward and I think we need him to in order to get the balance right in the long term.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Either way is fine for me tbh.

I'm looking at it more from a midfield balance perspective. Viney and Brayshaw trusted to win the hard ball and Salem and Fritsch on the outside.

I think Oliver can play any of wing, inside and forward and I think we need him to in order to get the balance right in the long term.
Yeah good thinking. We probably underrate how much better our midfield would be with Salem and Fritsch in there.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think you need to understand that players will play their best footy in pretty consistent positions. There’s really no point in moving anyone around bar Salem and Fritsch, purely because they can play other positions well.

Putting guys into the team (Jordan, Chandler and Bedford) just to look at them doesn’t reward form. Unless they’re banging the door down, yes, but even if we are losing I’d prefer our core group losing together, in the positions best befitting them. Elevating kids ‘just because’ rewards mediocrity if they don’t deserve it. We have to keep standards high.

Tim Smith in the middle? Mate? Come on. Bull Smith I love, but he is one thing and one thing only; an old school hit the pack hard FF or CHF. Keep him where he belongs.
I haven't said to put kids in to look at them without them displaying the form required, for a chance.
If they aren't yet up to a standard, then the experience would possibly hurt them.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
Swap Oliver with Harmes and you have my vote.

Harmes has to sit on their best mid and I think Oliver has the versatility to provide something up forward.
There's that word again, careful.
You know, maybe soon, the club might put him in defence for a short stint, to sharpen up his defensive side in his mind. So to improve his attitude to two way running.
I think Our mids could do with some reshaping in the defensive efforts and looking after the team mates in defence. Having to chase an opponent might be good for them, to understand what thats like.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
You know, maybe soon, the club might put him in defence for a short stint, to sharpen up his defensive side in his mind. So to improve his attitude to two way running.
I think Our mids could do with some reshaping in the defensive efforts and looking after the team mates in defence. Having to chase an opponent might be good for them, to understand what thats like.
I’d prefer them in the midfield and learning how to two way run there.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
You’re a bit mad aren’t you.

Not a judgement, just a casual observation

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
You’re a bit mad aren’t you.

Not a judgement, just a casual observation
No, but I'm into teaching them, training them the right way. And to get the most from our team in the Long Run. I'm not interested in short term trimmings.
Week to week doesn't interest me.

Only a flag is my ambition nowadays. actually has been since the late 80's. since '87.
List build, and teach the right way, for a flag. This club has stuffed up so much since Barass and Jordans work. They haven't known what they were doing. and the results are thus.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I'd say look at Jack Ziebell as an example. Tried to turn him into a forwsrd and through him around. Shaw has just put him back where he belongs same as their other players and wow North is playing well.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Most successful coaches have a touch of madness. Think outside the norm. Thats the difference to those who think they can, but don't.
Otherwise every coach would be winning premierships. and not fail. It's the difference.
In the previous seasons i would agree , but with the AFL intent on ******* with the rules every season , i think it doesn't matter how good a coach is ( the modern game almost makes them managers instead ) its the ability to adjust that seems to be more important than actually innovate that is defining a successful coach these days . Have no idea what this has to do with the Jones thread , but thought i would stick it here anyway .

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Club is trying to stiff him in contract talks ... nice.

He's not playing particularly well, and his captaincy leaves a bit to be desired when the going gets tough, but $265k for your captain is a bit rough, depending on incentives etc

I'd say fair chance he won't be captain next year.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
He should be offered another contract at a fair price for one season with trigger clauses for it to roll into two. Obviously with the understanding that there are no guarantees he will be captain and no guarantees he is a definite selection. If this club botches Jones’ exit after giving J Wagner and Nibbler multi year deals they can EAD and kiss my membership goodbye.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
We could be keeping room in the cap for a trade in. I don’t know what the fuss with Langdon is personally.

He is a significant upgrade on any outside option we have. Don't get everyone expecting us to trade in only A graders, Langdon isn't winning a brownlow but he is a good option on the wing and miles ahead of what we have right now.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
He is a significant upgrade on any outside option we have. Don't get everyone expecting us to trade in only A graders, Langdon isn't winning a brownlow but he is a good option on the wing and miles ahead of what we have right now.
I guess with all the evil that has befallen this club it’s hard to get excited about anyone right now. For example, I know in my heart of hearts that Brad Hill is a very good player and he is exactly what we need. However, I have no faith that the current coach & co would be able to fully utilise his talents. Ed Langdon is another player who cannot kick, depressing times.

Back