Universal Love #2 Nathan Jones - Retired. Thank you Chunk

Remove this Banner Ad

You people are toxic. What exactly do you support the club for? To see 22 strangers stand on a dais in matching jumpers? Or to form some kind of connecction with the people who represent the club. Regardless of whether Jones stays, he deserves better than the sh*t in here after carrying us on his shoulders for five sh*t years.

I support the club in the hope we one day finally win a ******* flag. Who the players and coaches are doesn't bother me because in 20 years time we'll have completely new coaches and players but all us suckers will still be diehard fans.

Not sure why you're whiteknighting a bloke who has already been carried for two years and paid extremely well for his service.

Does keeping players around who aren't up to it stifle the development of the next generation? What position does Jones play, who would we play instead?
This is really the critical issue. If his presence on the list is denying someone their share of development opportunities then retaining him is probably not the greatest idea. If his absence leaves a hole we can’t fill yet, retaining him is a good idea.

Or... the in between model. If he is content to remain on the list for lower pay then previously, and on the understanding that like Bernie Vince or similar might find himself playing 2nds rather than selected each week, and he has something to offer in terms of his training standards as an example, presence around the club or even a spot of coaching then it might be a great idea. There seems to be stuff said about lowering the soft cap around footy department spend anyways

I don't get the Jones is selfish and has been gifted games over the last 2 years talk. Who did he keep out of the squad, the immortal Corey Wagner?

It does seem that he is finished, he was super durable early in his career, but body seems cooked last couple of years. Should hopefully pick up some payers who can offer more next year this offseason.

I don't get the Jones is selfish and has been gifted games over the last 2 years talk. Who did he keep out of the squad, the immortal Corey Wagner?
Hard for me to answer this because I don't really know what role Jones was supposed to play. I'd rather the club backed in one of Hunt, Spargo, Hannan, ANB, Rivers or someone.

Hard for me to answer this because I don't really know what role Jones was supposed to play. I'd rather the club backed in one of Hunt, Spargo, Hannan, ANB, Rivers or someone.
Sadly agree. He's not gonna get much midfield time anymore and isn't much chop outside the guts. Too old to reinvent himself somewhere else, probably.
Those you've listed aren't much chop themselves but have some flexibility and scope to improve with consistent games. Not so for Nathan, sadly.

It does seem that he is finished, he was super durable early in his career, but body seems cooked last couple of years. Should hopefully pick up some payers who can offer more next year this offseason.
Yeah, I think calling him selfish is over the line. Feel like it's easier for players who have had some fulfilment (flags etc.) in their career to step away. Can't begrudge Jones for wanting to be around for some success after all the tough years.

Says a bit about our drafting/development that we don't have an obvious replacement in a wing/outside role, but we began addressing this last offseason (Langdon) and hopefully can pick up another this offseason. Jones is not the answer, sadly.

Sadly agree. He's not gonna get much midfield time anymore and isn't much chop outside the guts. Too old to reinvent himself somewhere else, probably.Those you've listed aren't much chop themselves but have some flexibility and scope to improve with consistent games. Not so for Nathan, sadly.
Agree there's some spuds there.
Hannan's regressed massively though. Kicked 22 goals in his first year from 20 games, and the same amount from 15 in his second. Elsewhere we've got Jackson, Spargo (hopefully), Pickett, Fritsch, Weed and probably Melksham (for better or for worse) in the forward line, and the backline already stuffed with players like Harmes that shouldn't be playing there.

We are far from being a top 4 team so whether Jones plays next year or not probably will not make any difference. But a strong case can be made that he should not play on. But to throw around words like “s**t” and “arsehole” about a guy who has played 290 plus games for our club makes me think some of the guys giving it to Jones would be the same kind of guys who would turn on you in a flash and bitch about you behind your back rather than mouth off to your face.

Last edited:
Wow , some really nasty s**t written in this thread . While i agree he is past his best , do we really need to slag off a bloke who played a season with a ****ed neck. If the club is silly enough to offer him a contract , why yell at him for accepting it. I really don't care one way or the other . we have bigger issues than if Jones is re-signed or not !!

There is no doubt in my mind that Corey Wagner would have played better than Jones if he was given the same opportunities last season. That's the point. He's now not as good as Corey Wagner. Sad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so happy for the club and player. anybody know how far behind Kade Simpson he is for being biggest ******* loser ever? may as well knock that off while he reaches the worst 300 game player ever

Last edited:
His returns are diminishing but 1 yr not the end of the world if they prefer to turnover that spot next yr rather than this yr.
Yep especially since most of our picks will be rubbish

so happy for the club and player. anybody know how far behind Kade Simpson he is for being biggest ******* loser ever? may as well knock that off while he reaches the worst 300 game player ever

838353.jpg

Hardly surprising.

Let's hope his experience and leadership helps us finish outside the 8 again next year
Are you really disappointed that he is going to keep some kid who would have been drafted in the rookie draft with no exposed form for 12 months off the list?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back