Universal Love #2 Nathan Jones - Retired. Thank you Chunk

Remove this Banner Ad

Still hard to believe that in my life time i would have seen the Second Most Melb games of all time and Most of all time in Neita.
Wonderfull effort for Chunk and his persistence and resilience with a rabble of a club( at the time of course) when we were s**t, but not now obviously

Last edited:
Potentially I'm making this all up then if my math is off.
Hey Crimson!

I’m his player sponsor this year! On the Gus and Gawn podcast it came up that he didn’t have a bronze sponsor and I decided (a bit pissed) that this was an unacceptable situation for a club champion. So I’m his sponsor.

I‘m literally meeting him tonight (Thursday night) at a sponsor event, so if you have any questions for Nathan or good wishes etc. go for it now and I’ll do my best

Had never finished a round 2nd on the ladder until this weekend either.

I am fairly sure our record of finishing on top of the ladder is putrid more broadly. Think Rd18 2004 was last time but before that you had to go back to the 60s.

The time before that was 1994 but before that would be a long time. Unless we thumped a team in round one or something it's hard to imagine we finding us finishing on top of the ladder since 65.
Wasn't that the game where Tom Bugg trolled Johannisen? I think it was a ten goal win.
We played the dogs twice that year the 250th was a 49 point win at the docklands which I'm pretty sure was the Johannisen one.

Bugg and JJ was 2017, Jones 250th was 2018.

I think it was the game where Gus and Clarry went absolutely nuts

Found it:

It's ridiculous how easy we were able to waltz into open goals that year.

Last edited:

Found it:

Oh yeah that's when Lever did his knee again a big out in retrospect. Melksham also injured for a period of time but look like he came good. Tory Dixon going down evened it up but still a great effort to win by 49. McDonald was clucking everything. I liked that tackle Daniels laid on Hogan even though it cost a goal perfect tackle.

After some incredibly depressing research I think the highest position we have been on the ladder throughout Jonesy's career is 3rd, which was at Round 10 - 2018. And I didn't want to check to see if was playing or out injured at that time.

Although he could almost claim equal 1st (ignoring %) after Round 2 - 2017 when we were 4th, taking into account aforesaid %, although 7 other teams could also claim that. Very depressing reading.

Hey Crimson!

I’m his player sponsor this year! On the Gus and Gawn podcast it came up that he didn’t have a bronze sponsor and I decided (a bit pissed) that this was an unacceptable situation for a club champion. So I’m his sponsor.

I‘m literally meeting him tonight (Thursday night) at a sponsor event, so if you have any questions for Nathan or good wishes etc. go for it now and I’ll do my best
What are his post football plans?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Crimson!

Who is his favourite poster on BF and why is it blitznu

Sure. That won’t be awkward at all.

I wouldn't expect you to ask it. But it would be ******* amusing.

Nathan being introduced to his sponsor " so, why are you a selfish bastard? " 😂

I wouldn't expect you to ask it. But it would be ******* amusing.

Nathan being introduced to his sponsor " so, why are you a selfish bastard? " 😂
I actually quite like the notion of some nutter becoming a player sponsor specifically for the purpose of being able to insult them repeatedly at close quarters. We should all pitch in to send you off to a sponsor event with Zach Merrett

What are his post football plans?
The Herald Scum has a real estate section that is pretty much just how much money footballers make selling houses. They mentioned Jones made a couple of mil from selling his home in Black Rock.

If I was him I'd just sit on the couch and get fat(ter).

I actually quite like the notion of some nutter becoming a player sponsor specifically for the purpose of being able to insult them repeatedly at close quarters. We should all pitch in to send you off to a sponsor event with Zach Merrett

Yes, I'm down to going halves with you next year if he comes. First time I meet him "why don't you just * off back to essendon mate, your kind isn't welcome here"

Last edited:
The Herald Scum has a real estate section that is pretty much just how much money footballers make selling houses. They mentioned Jones made a couple of mil from selling his home in Black Rock.

If I was him I'd just sit on the couch and get fat(ter).
Me too. Wouldn’t even hesitate over the decision

Found it:

I still remember the goal scored at the 4:50 mark on this one. Jackson Trengove basically had his back to the ball and ignored the fact that Hogan was 5m behind him and snapping a goal. One weird bit of play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back