Autopsy 2 point loss to Giants. - Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relevance? Have you seen how they're playing this season? They're massively down on personnel. Loss of Hickey won't be an issue since they have no ruckman either.

Theyve always been mediocre. Yet they kill us on the outside. If we dish up the same, another L

We should beat GC next week. They look putrid. I'm more worried about the games after that one. It feels like we'll lose a few in a row without a recognised ruck and the kids reverting to mean. McDonald in particular is becoming a worry.

Last few games theyve enjoyed killing us on the outside like gws even when theyre down because theyve got no one pressuring

We should beat GC next week. They look putrid. I'm more worried about the games after that one. It feels like we'll lose a few in a row without a recognised ruck and the kids reverting to mean. McDonald in particular is becoming a worry.

Its quite possible to see us dropping the Geelong and Melbourne game we have a tricky game against Fremantle at WA and the annual Collingwood at the SCG(not looking forward to that slog) Carlton and Hawthorn at the SCG and Saints at Marvel.

At worse case scenario we go into the round 14 bye with a record of 7-6 thats worst case stuff still not that bad.

I just don’t get the hewett move , he is playing like a mid in defence and that’s understandable.
I think Horse is desperately looking for a role for certain players to have in this team that appeated to be flyong. Hewitt is one of them. Unfortubately now, our team will resemble exactly what we had last year without Rampe, Heeney & a decent tap ruckman.

Theyve always been mediocre. Yet they kill us on the outside. If we dish up the same, another L

No they haven't always been mediocre.

Have you watched them this season?

Should have lost by 6 goals or more. Poor decisions across the group and I just couldn't see the urgency needed in that last quarter.
Yep. We were always second to the ball. And the defence when Kelly kicked the winner!!!!!! OMG I lost it then. Before the ball was bounced I was yelling "What the * are you doing!!!!" :D There was about 6 Swans all on the top of the goal square line. That was deplorable

last 3 mins..Hayward shoulda got 2 frees in sight of goals..ok, Ima go back to youtube, there some truth there..
hahahha nooo! Do not mention the umpires. How could they not pay Buddy's mark. One grab and only came out once he hit the ground. A mark everyday of the week except on the 17th of April 2021. So the umpire was correct

Its quite possible to see us dropping the Geelong and Melbourne game we have a tricky game against Fremantle at WA and the annual Collingwood at the SCG(not looking forward to that slog) Carlton and Hawthorn at the SCG and Saints at Marvel.

At worse case scenario we go into the round 14 bye with a record of 7-6 thats worst case stuff still not that bad.
We'll be 4 & 5, maybe 5 & 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong are old and slow, they get run over in the final term, we'll knock them off.

Dees at the G I'd back us in, think we're going to be quite strong in games there this year.

GCS obviously we'll knock off too. We'll be 8-1 or 7-2.

Agreed. Too many defenders who arent traditional defenders. Yes we have a great track record of turning forwards into defenders.. but as it stands we have Campbell, Hewett, Mccartin, Cunningham in the back six. Not enough true defenders. Would love to see us steady the ship down back and bring in COR or Ling. Both are good defenders and also relatively quick.
Would definitely move Hewett out. Thought Campbell was ok yesterday but was guilty (like many swans) of bombing long down the wings. We need more composure.
It was good to see Hayward come in and contribute, just as its been good to see McLean come in and contribute.. showing forward depth
Rowbum to come in to the mids next week.. Seems there's good depth (although young and developing) through the midfield

but yep, our back 6????
Not sure I understand the structure back there.?
McCartin, Campbell, Hewett, Cunningham playing out of position - Reckon Cunningham and McCartin are keepers
I dont reckon any of these blokes are playing poorly and the new team defence strategy is hurting the back 6 when it gets down there. It seems theres less opportunity to flood the defensive 50 like the Swans have done over the years, therefore less support.

Id like to see Cunningham playing Lloyds role
- Im a fan of Harrys. Hes quicker and a better 1 on 1 defender than Loyd. Hes also got the ability to use the ball well with short and medium kicks (like Lloyd), and has the ability to wrack up 25-30 possessions per game (when not injured used to do this on the wing)
Ling playing Cunninghams role
- might as well get him in there and give him some experience in prep for 2022 and beyond. Talented footy player, just needs game time
McCartin and Melican as KPDs
- Big fan of 2 KPDs.
Rampe and Dawson as intercepting / 3rd tall / distributing defenders
So.. 2 x smalls, 2 x medium and 2 x tall defenders

That leaves Lloyd and Campbell somewhere else. Campbell up to the wing is obvious.
I put (and shoot me down for this thought) Lloyd in the same place as Hewett. Think both were part of an older Swans strategy. Also think both can be replaced with players on the list. Wouldn't be upset if they were both traded at years end. I reckon the biggest (maybe only) loss would be experience.

Looking forward to Rampe coming back, and would love to see OConner play games with Rampe some time. Thats a quality young sponge and teacher combo.

Tedeski are you reading this?
Yep I find the Buddy hate astounding anyone who suggests he is only playing for marketing reasons is just talking rubbish now that the Buddy will never play again card can't be thrown around, he was great last night and his contested marking was awesome (even one that was not payed). The problem last night was our spread and use of the ball from stoppages didn't allow us time and space to use the ball effectively, we did not tackle and pressure without the ball as we did in rounds 1 - 3 allowing the ball to waltz from one end to the other too easily ( Buddy pressured and tackled better than anyone in our forward half). Young team will be inconsistent at times but on the whole its glass half full at 4 and 1.

You'll be disappointed to learn that Buddy will be 'rested ' in our now time of need next week. The guy couldn't move in the last. We are parading him out at SCG games for pure marketing purposes to win tge crowds.
He won't play next week in order to be right for the next SCG game.
In the mean time, the other forwards have been drained of their confidence by having to move out of the way of the Buddy Show.
I only hope they can find it again next week.
You surely cant think this way? i do agree he wont travel and will only play SCG games but to think the coaches instruct other players to get out of the way for the "buddy show" is ludicrous.

The club lost 6million last season of course they want to maximise SCG revenue.
If Buddys fit and trains this week.. he'll play

I think this team is still one that is building in different positions.

I reckon Hewett will finish his career at a different club and is an interim solution in the back line insofar as the coaches must see him as being more value adding than the other players they are still developing (Ling, O'Connor etc) - At this point in time.

Same goes with the midfield - Expect to see Stephens playing an outside role there when he is ready for it. He's quick. Warner has a bit of speed too.

Until the other players in the reserves are ready..there's no point adding them to the team if its a moderate detriment to being competitive.

Was great to see Hayward and not Rohan play yesterday!!
Hayward got 18 touches marks, tackles, goals, goal assists - good game. If he averages around 15 touches / game (and not the 5-6 Rohanesque), he'll have a bloody good year.
Somebody said on this board recently he's a depth player lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back