Autopsy 2 point loss to Giants. - Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talk about Aliir Aliir having an All Australian type of season. 10 intercept marks on the weekend to help Power win.

Still love to know why we traded this guy away so easily
Personally I think it was a failure on our part.
Not in trading Hickey who has been great, but in not solving our ruck problem earlier. We backed the wrong guy in Naismith and suffered the consequences.

That said, if we had been allowed to draft Ryder, we would have had a solid ruck for all that time AND one of the best defenders in the comp.

Mark of the Week
Will Hayward

Personally I think it was a failure on our part.
Not in trading Hickey who has been great, but in not solving our ruck problem earlier. We backed the wrong guy in Naismith and suffered the consequences.

That said, if we had been allowed to draft Ryder, we would have had a solid ruck for all that time AND one of the best defenders in the comp.

Makes you believe all the rumours of our cap imploding.

Goal of the Week
Will Hayward

I think what that game really showed was the lack of a really good outside mid. We ended up losing it on the inside but we got our hands on it plenty, but were lacking running players to dish it out to.

It's telling that Our two best disposal getters were Lloyd and Dawson, all of our inside mids got around 20 possessions, and Blakely Warner McInerney and Florent only got around a dozen touches.

It's easy to blame our inside players.for hack kicking it forward, but it was often from a lack of options imo. Our inside possession chains often ended with a kick for distance, whereas theirs ended with a handball to an unmarked runner. A good two way running outside player which is hopefully that's what Blakely and Stephens Florent etc can become would make a real difference to these sorts of games where we are t on top inside imo

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Couldn’t agree more.

Sorry!
But I get mentioned in other people's posts about him so I'm entitled to a right of reply don't you think, or is that not the world we live in any more.
You want me to not respond?
Sorry Ted I didn't mean that to sound as personal as it ended up by sounding. I hadn't read anything on here since before the match and was getting a bit frustrated at some of the comments, I should have known better than to post when feeling like that.
My apologies if I offended.

But to the bloke that disrespects JPK all the time, no such apology :rage:
He is my all time favourite and a true champion of the club and no one is allowed to take his name in vain :rage:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talk about Aliir Aliir having an All Australian type of season. 10 intercept marks on the weekend to help Power win.

Still love to know why we traded this guy away so easily
Attitude, $, didn’t want to stay .. there’s a multitude of possible reasons.

In any event, he’s no world beater. Players always look better in a quality side. If he was traded to Norf, he’d be looking really ordinary.

The kid is knackered. We've asked a lot of our 18 year olds. He shouldn't play this week & neither should Campbell. They need to go back & absolutely smash the twos for a week or two & they'll come back huge for us. I think Ling has shown he can absorb pressure & has earned his time. McLean has done absolutely nothing wrong either & will offer more than McDonald will this week. Time to introduce COR. He is tough as nails & can defend, unlike Lloyd, Harry & Hewitt. I think Hewitt is in strife. He has no role in our fast moving game plan of the first 3 rounds.
Hewett had no role?!

Other than negating a bloke called Dustin Martin?

Wish I'd never seen the replay now. Outplayed or not, we should have won from there.
Dawson was definately in range too. Where are the senior players telling him to back himself in. All I saw was Buddy pointing to the pack of 15 GWS players at the top of the goal square...
Shame, would have been nice to just about bury GWS's finals hopes

Wish I'd never seen the replay now. Outplayed or not, we should have won from there.
Dawson was definately in range too. Where are the senior players telling him to back himself in. All I saw was Buddy pointing to the pack of 15 GWS players at the top of the goal square...
Shame, would have been nice to just about bury GWS's finals hopes
Lots of wotifs and ifonlys. If the umps had paid the mark to Buddy...

After a loss I prefer to sit off the board until the ranting stops. I've heard everything from Buddy's the problem, to dump Kennedy to Why did we trade Aliir. The reality is we didn't have an even spread of contributors and we lost Hickey when he was dominating. We're struggled twice now on the SCG as teams can more effectively shut down our space. We were forced back to the old kick inside in hope rather than pinpoint passes. Some of our kids seemed knackered or struggling with the pressure. Warner, Wicks, Gulden and Campbell were some of our worst users of the ball, with only Stephens' 0% disposal rate worse than Campbell & Wicks' 50% effective disposals. When we have a defender disposing of the ball at 50% they're just not contributing. I'd rather see Campbell rested or given a run on the ball, with the space to use his skills. Gulden also struggled. Lloyd and Dawson were kicking at under 70%, and Parker was hurried and inaccurate too. We certainly missed our best ball user in Rampe. The positives are that Hayward played Heeney's role probably as well as Heeney himself could have played it. Welcome back to form Will. I hope all your knockers heaped praise your way. Reid continued his good form, ranked 3rd for effective disposals, going at 94% effectiveness, goalless but kicking 6 lace-out inside 50s, laid 5 tackles and equalled or beat Mumford in the ruck duels when Hickey went down, the highlight being his lovely tap to a Hayward goal. I was surprised not to see Reid in the coaches votes, narrowly squeezed out by Buddy and Hayward. Kennedy was also hugely influential again. The trouble was we had some real stars but we didn't have enough contributors. McDonald was too well held, we had a lot of hack kicks forward instead of picking out a target. Anyone who watched the Ressies match would have seen Bell in fine form and Rowbum not far off. McLean is good to go too. Add Sinkers and we can cover the injuries and get back to our good form.

Sorry Ted I didn't mean that to sound as personal as it ended up by sounding. I hadn't read anything on here since before the match and was getting a bit frustrated at some of the comments, I should have known better than to post when feeling like that.
My apologies if I offended.

But to the bloke that disrespects JPK all the time, no such apology :rage:
He is my all time favourite and a true champion of the club and no one is allowed to take his name in vain :rage:
Not offended at all Jewelsbon. Don't concern yourself about that.

I thought it was all a bit of a perfect storm.
Much relief after a scrambling win over the Bombers on a 5 day turnaround, followed by a long time to focus on a wounded but dangerous opponent in a Derby.
Its not hard to imagine much discussion and analysis into the respect Taranto, Hopper, Kelly and Ward still command in the midfield, and also the threat still posed by their attacking unit led by Green, Himmelberg and Finlayson, with the loss of Rampe compounding the issue. Also not hard to imagine the impact of that focus on the psyche of the core group of young players that had been the catalyst for an outstanding start to the season. With so much emphasis being placed on negating their stars, it really would be horrible for one of their talented lesser lights to have a blinder a steal the game and so it all got really reactive imo.
For all their experience, Horse, Cox, Pyke, JPK and Luke have never been at the helm of such a youthful team that had seemingly become a contender in just 5 short weeks. I hope they have the wisdom to turn it into a learning experience and treat it as a development year without expectations.
We were off the pace for much of the game... that cautious split second of hesitation while considering the potential cost of running off an opponent... the difference between getting to the ball to be the 4th or 5th link in the handball chain and our ball-winners rushing a speculative hack forward.... the difference between Wicksy finding that open space and not having to hope for a crumb to fall his way... the difference between finding a safe outlet coming out of D50 and kicking to a contest only to yield a repeat entry.
For mine it is a real positive that, despite playing poorly, we were in a position to win the game until Hickey’s injury broke the camel’s back. Having said that, it was possibly a good loss for our long term prospects.
I’m bullish about our chances this year... certainly not fearful of tackling the Tiges again and I think that says we’re going ok.
I would like to see us concentrate on playing our football... forming good proactive habits and building cohesion, confident that we can post a good enough score to win... accepting that it doesn’t always click will be part of our development and that includes the coaching group.
Let the defensive group develop organically... there is enough talent back there and in the twos to eventually become as potently frugal as our attack is dangerous.
Hickey was again sensational until his injury and I’m hopeful Sinkers is inspired by Tom’s determination.
Reidy continues to shine... really rolling up the sleeves and setting a very good example for our young blokes.
Hayward’s return was good but he is capable of a howler when trying to do the simple things hey?
Thought The Chad was good again. Couple of blunders but it seemed nothing was going to alter the way he goes about it.
I go on about Mills I know, but I thought he showed more composure than Josh and Luke in a midfield that held its own in the contest but struggled to produce anything constructive due to the aforementioned lack of support play. The Giants just seemed to have endless numbers looking for the handball receive.
Back 6 was pretty disheveled... who was leading them... the big guy with only a handful of games down back or the guy who has more experience but barring injury can’t crack the 22? While none of the others is born with that defender mentality. Tom Mc looked frustrated out of his brain but I thought he did well along with Melican.
Lloyd and Harry, while both seemingly play their role capably, are like handbrakes when it comes to fluid movement out of defence... might take some time for them to regrow some attacking flair.
Really hated losing it and think we are much better side man for man but they are a strong side who, if they can get their act together can’t be taken lightly.
On to the Gold Coast... please Horse... just let ‘em play... no instructions... “Just do your stuff!”
Pretty sure the results will look after themselves if the lads are playing like they did for the first 3 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back