Shield 2 rounds left, who can make the final?

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, there are really only 4 sides who can make it, Tassie and SA are too far behind.

1. Queensland. 29.14 points. Remaining games:

vs SA (6th) at Allan Border Field, 23-26 March
vs NSW (2nd) at North Dalton Park (Wollongong), 3-7 April

If they win either match they get through. Two draws or losses and they need WA vs Victoria to be a draw, or both fail to win their last game.

2. New South Wales. 28.31 points. Remaining games:

vs Tas (5th) at Bellerive Oval, 20-23 March
vs Qld (1st) at North Dalton Park (Wollongong), 3-7 April

Basically the same equation as above, win one and they're through, lose or draw both and they could fall out.

3. Western Australia. 19.7 points. Remaining games:

vs Vic (4th) at WACA, 25-28 March
vs Tas (5th) at WACA, 3-7 April

Need to win both and hope one of the first two don't win either game.

4. Victoria. 18.38 points. Remaining games:

vs WA (3rd) at WACA, 25-28 March
vs SA (6th) at Junction Oval, 3-7 April

Same as WA, need to win both and pray NSW/Qld lose or draw their first match

Basically echos what I said above. Tassie can't make it though, they can influence it depending on the Victoria vs WA result. The Queensland vs SA game will end in a draw, they won't get any play tomorrow based on the 25+ mm of rain, and they'll barely get any on Wednesday too.

Victoria vs WA is the most important game this season.

Victoria vs WA is the most important game this season.
Yep, think NSW will be a bit shell shocked after last game. Going to take a lot to bounce back against top of the table.

Home game against either Tassie or South Australia to leap frog NSW is now well on the cards for winner of Vic/WA.

Yep, think NSW will be a bit shell shocked after last game. Going to take a lot to bounce back against top of the table.

Home game against either Tassie or South Australia to leap frog NSW is now well on the cards for winner of Vic/WA.
It'll be fascinating to see the tactics. And the deck. Especially seeing as they won't get much play tomorrow either. I'd honestly love to see both spots up for grabs come April 3.

No play again today lends the idea that it'll be a draw. They'll probably try to get 110 overs each day, which probably isn't enough for Queensland to win.

Can't wait for WA vs Victoria to start

Queensland 30.84 points
New South Wales 29.01 points

Whoever wins hosts. Whoever loses could miss out. If it's a draw, Queensland get through but might not host depending on WA vs Vic and either WA vs Tas or Vic vs SA

is it mathematically possible for SA to avoid the spoon vs Vic?
They need to be 0/400 after 100 and roll us for under 200

WA have got themselves into a position where a win over Tassie will see them into the final.

If WA win with no bonus points (unlikely), Qld would need 2.84 and NSW 4.67 bonus points to be level in the event of a loss. I guess mathematically possible, but realistically the Qld scenario is unlikely and the NSW scenario is a 1 in a 1,000,000 chance. WA are going to score some bonus points themselves, so those would also need to be caught.

I knew WA hadn't won in a while, but must admit I didn't think it had been 22 years. That's a long time between drinks, and I definitely didn't realise they'd only made the final twice in that time. Interestingly, they are also the only state that hasn't won a wooden spoon in that time frame, and actually haven't finished last since 1963/64 which is a hell of a long streak in a six (previously five) team competition.

It's a race in three. If WA win they make it, if the other game is a draw they host.
Not completely out of the question that if NSW won, WA could haul down the 1.33 bonus points. Would be a pretty good performance for sure.

I was a bit sceptical about the change in point scoring system in 14/15 but I must admit it has thrown up some great finishes to the H&A season's since.

I don't know where else to put this but it's hard to see Mitch Swepson not making the TOTY still, even though he's played 3 games, he's 4th on the wickets list with the best average this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know where else to put this but it's hard to see Mitch Swepson not making the TOTY still, even though he's played 3 games, he's 4th on the wickets list with the best average this season.
Back for the next shield match. Good to see the injury hasn't kept him out as long as it sounded it would.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back