AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

And that is a reason why I think he could be the best young ruck in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He’s almost this bizarre mix of Mumford and Naitanui. I expect him to physically monster blokes but that burst out of the middle wasn’t something I’d seen before, he’s got wheels. Adding in the deft tap work with either hand and I just hope we can avoid more injuries because I think you could get rid of the word young from your statement in the next season or so.

He’s almost this bizarre mix of Mumford and Naitanui. I expect him to physically monster blokes but that burst out of the middle wasn’t something I’d seen before, he’s got wheels. Adding in the deft tap work with either hand and I just hope we can avoid more injuries because I think you could get rid of the word young from your statement in the next season or so.
His tap work has Tom Bellchambers written all over it. When he first came down he had seriously hard hands in the middle

He's very physical in the same sense as those two are.

Someone like Grundy is a bit of a creampuff at times, whereas Draper has more bulldozer to him. Adding some decent tapwork and willingness to run the ball out of a stoppage is very pleasing.

Just has to stay on the park.

Draper's future role should involve being moved to FF in place of Hooker and played in a Salmon type role (primary forward who can also play ruck).

Draper's would give us what Hooker currently gives us: A big body, an overhead marking target, someone who crashes packs, someone who brings the ball to ground etc.

But with Draper's athleticism and youth, he also brings an attack on the ball at ground level helping to lock the ball into our F50, 2nd and 3rd efforts, a defensive effort on the turn over etc.

Bryan would then be our #1 ruckman - who is the more natural tap ruckman and mobile around the ground as well.

Draper's future role should involve being moved to FF in place of Hooker and played in a Salmon type role (primary forward who can also play ruck).

Draper's would give us what Hooker currently gives us: A big body, an overhead marking target, someone who crashes packs, someone who brings the ball to ground etc.

But with Draper's athleticism and youth, he also brings an attack on the ball at ground level helping to lock the ball into our F50, 2nd and 3rd efforts, a defensive effort on the turn over etc.

Bryan would then be our #1 ruckman - who is the more natural tap ruckman and mobile around the ground as well.
Draper needs to work on his ball drop to even think about spending serious time forward.
He picked up the game late in life so ill give him the benefit of the doubt to work it out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Like it.

Draper needs to work on his ball drop to even think about spending serious time forward.
He picked up the game late in life so ill give him the benefit of the doubt to work it out
From memory most of his set shots in the VFL where good with the odd total shocker. Agree he needs some work on consistency as far as his ball drop goes.

From memory most of his set shots in the VFL where good with the odd total shocker. Agree he needs some work on consistency as far as his ball drop goes.
I would say the opposite. He's never showed much as a forward and I can really only remember him kicking a good goal in the VFL once or twice.

Let's see if Bryan can play any meaningful time forward in the VFL this year IMO. He was decent there against Casey for patches

I would say the opposite. He's never showed much as a forward and I can really only remember him kicking a good goal in the VFL once or twice.

Let's see if Bryan can play any meaningful time forward in the VFL this year IMO. He was decent there against Casey for patches
I have one advantage. I keep notes :cool:
He was not a high goal kicker but his set shot kicking routine was okay apart from the odd high ball drop kick. Took a few good grabs in the small amount of time he played forward.
By the way my comments where on his set shots at goal only. Not on his forwards craft.

Cannot be anywhere but in the middle most of the time if we’re to do anything. The make up of the rest of the midfield is such that we need his physicality and bulk around the ball.

Agree that he has struggled with ‘jumpers’ thus far that he did last night

Disappointing last night against the Cats makeshift rucks. Both were getting over him pretty regularly at bounces.

He’ll build over the rest of the season as his power, timing and fitness start to return.

Yep, just a bit rusty. Was excellent against the Hawks, but that initial adrenaline has worn off. Just needs game time.

Definitely not opposed to this.

I doubt he makes a serious impact for a year or two tbh, guys like him take time and there’s clearly a few aspects to his game that need work if he’s to become one of the better rucks in the competition.
Hes 22 and Bryan is 19. Very few Ruckmen come on strong in the first 4-5 years of their career. I think for the future Ruck is definitely a position we don't have a worry in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back