AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - Back in the side against Sydney for 10 hitouts and a goal - 24/3

Remove this Banner Ad

02 - draper.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2025
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 20, TheUnicorn

Last edited by a moderator:

wichidi

Senior List
Jun 15, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Can't wait to see the big fella on the park again. Anyone got the GIF from last year, playing the Doggies, where he grabbed English by the jumper in the center square, and basically rag dolled him to the ground and knocked the wind out of him? Would make my Friday to see that again..

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Can't wait to see the big fella on the park again. Anyone got the GIF from last year, playing the Doggies, where he grabbed English by the jumper in the center square, and basically rag dolled him to the ground and knocked the wind out of him? Would make my Friday to see that again..
Draper didn't play against Bulldogs. Maybe it was against Brisbane

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
A bull of a man.

He's dominated Cegler and McEcoy physically.

Phillips has a solid presence around the ball and ground. I even thought that the difference bringing Draper back wouldn't be huge, that it would come down to some sharper ruck work but his physical work has been next level so far.

Also his ruck work is sublime. I think half the time he doesn't know which hand he is going to use until the last second and he can still hit it 360 degrees and down a team mates throat with the left or the right.

Clean marking has been a thing of beauty. That means tightening up the kicking action may now be the final frontier.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Really good game. One area he could improve on was rucking to boundary throw ins. He would take the front position a lot, but had eyes a fair bit on his opponent, who was stepping inside him and judging the ball a bit better. It was generally dropping short and he didn't really adjust. But great game and we are going to really enjoy the ride with him. He seemed to tire a bit and was more dominant early. Going to be more of a beast as fitness and endurance improves. I like it when he runs and jumps at it rather than wrestling for taps.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Really good game. One area he could improve on was rucking to boundary throw ins. He would take the front position a lot, but had eyes a fair bit on his opponent, who was stepping inside him and judging the ball a bit better. It was generally dropping short and he didn't really adjust. But great game and we are going to really enjoy the ride with him. He seemed to tire a bit and was more dominant early. Going to be more of a beast as fitness and endurance improves. I like it when he runs and jumps at it rather than wrestling for taps.

Good call. It's not something I've noticed before.

I think it was an energy conservation thing. There were a few throwins he barely contested in the second half.

If the grand final stays in it's slated date/time of 25th September, our boy is actually eligible for the 22under22 team.

Could overthrow Sean Darcy as the ruck if todays performance is just the start for our man.
Nah. Darcy has been probably the third best ruck this year, period. But then again, given it's a popularity contest, he might get in.

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
my hypothesis is that Draper's game was the best game by an Essendon ruckman that did not involve hitting the scoreboard since the days of Hille/Ryder. I will investigate later

I have started doing this. In hindsight, while I still think my statement is true or approaching true, I regret stating it as investigating it is gonna be a pain in the arse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back