AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

He was up against the terrfying ruck pair of Soldo and Finlayson.

He actually needs to look at Soldo, despite a pretty limited ruckman, and take a leaf out of his book.
Finlayson is good at calling people names. :thumbsu:

I thought he was better on Friday.
Against port he didn’t present well. Wasn’t the option down the line a lot. Friday he worked hard to consistently be an option down the line or block space. Took a few grabs too.

Still tries to run with the ball too much. Need to temper it and dispose of the ball quicker.
Also tries to kick the miracle goal rather than handball it off too often.

One issue with Sam , other than dropped marks , is his around the ground IQ has not progressed at all. Yes he does have the unpredictable X factor and a bit of speed for a big man but the general run of the mill stuff like out working your opposition and getting to dangerous spots does not happen. He is often a second behind what the opposition ruck is doing. Has a few tricks in the forward half and out of stoppage but that is where it ends and he is actually just above average as far as the tap work goes. Too bad we can not combine Sam and Nick and make one ruck.

Has to remember he is ruck. Kicking on the run not needed.
Nah, it's a good thing. Forcing the opposition to prepare for the possibility they're going to suddenly have 110kg go galloping out of a stoppage hinders their preparation for other plays.

If he can maintain the X factor stuff while elevating his output of other, run of the mill ruck tasks even a little bit he'd be a vastly better player

He needs to remember he is not 180cm and therefore isn't that mobile.

How many times does he attempt to kick the ball from the ground like he's a striker in a soccer game? It's like he always tries to recreate the goal-of-the-year moment. Keep it simple.

I do love when he charges out of the centre with the ball always a highlight for me. He had a couple of marks dropped when they just were bouncing off his chest. I was shocked when one stuck in the last quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back