Maddogm

Premium Platinum
Feb 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Red Wings
Not as break glass, no. But Belly hasn't got long left as it is.
Well I think Draper was on track for a relatively smooth transition. The ACL may have thrown a spanner in the works there. Of course well still need to find a ruck to come in behind Draper to act as backup/No. 2 (Assuming Draper works out as expected)

P. Ryder out of contract this year. Go after him with a 2 yr deal. Or is he done and dusted?
He'd be useful for the remainder of this year but not what we'll need for next year (with the possible exception of a month or 2) let alone the year after

Old Campaigner

Premium Gold
Nov 22, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
I feel like our ruck depth was fine, we had Bellchambers, Draper, Daniher, Stewart, Clark and McKernan. If anyone had said at round 1 that all bar 2 were going to suffer season ending injuries they’d be told to stop being so gloomy.

Maybe the conditioning staff have a bit to answer for with some of those injuries but at the end of the day I don’t think you can base list management decisions on the possibility of two thirds of your rucks getting season ending injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rumply

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, 76ers
They were saying season ending achilles on Sen during my drive home tonight, so it is a calf?

Cold Sober

Premiership Player
Suspended
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
I recall mentioning Mumford, would have been perfect fit for us, so now we should chase Ryder.
We had a chance to pick a ruckman at the last draft and we chose a midget didn't we.

ghostdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
This one will bite hard.

Do we go with:
  • Smack as 1st ruck and Hooker forward, bringing in someone like Hartley to play defence?
or
  • Clarke as 1st ruck, play Hooker in defence and Smack forward?
I vote for the first choice. I almost have no doubt Woosh will go with the second choice.

Smack as the ruckman might be the silver lining that was spoken of. He can be very agile. If this causes him to work on his craft and win more taps, maybe he's able to ruck like he's another mid. Not sure about his endurance though.

CBombers17

Club Legend
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Big opportunity for Zac. I wasn't overwhelmed with his performances either but I though he showed some good ability at times as well.

I'm actually quite hopeful for the big unit.

naraku

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
6 weeks for a " strain"?

Well, time for the Smack and Zac show.... And we opted not to take another ruckman after the Snelling pick.

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
Confirmed what we already knew but more detail

“Tom has a high-grade calf tear, it’s of his gastrocnemius (muscle) in the musculotendinous junction.

“The grade of the injury means he’s going to miss six weeks, particularly given Tom’s size. We think he’ll go two weeks without running and then build up from there.

Top Bottom