Retired # 2: Tom Bellchambers - Knocks Cam Mooney the **** out - 24/5

A free hit that will most likely end up in a delsting wish the club would stop persisting with players like McNiece
Why is that a problem? Having McNiece didn't prevent us from taking anyone in the mid-season draft. All we had to do was add another of our three season ending injuries to the LTI list.

He's on the Category B rookie list, so he's not taking up any space on the main list or the rookie list. His salary is not even in the cap unless he is upgraded.

Why whine about that? What do we have to lose?

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
Why is that a problem? Having McNiece didn't prevent us from taking anyone in the mid-season draft. All we had to do was add another of our three season ending injuries to the LTI list.

He's on the Category B rookie list, so he's not taking up any space on the main list or the rookie list. His salary is not even in the cap unless he is upgraded.

Why whine about that? What do we have to lose?
It was the reason Dodoro gave for not using the second pick in the mid-season draft which was really a cover up for the fact they ****ed up IMO.

It was the reason Dodoro gave for not using the second pick in the mid-season draft which was really a cover up for the fact they f’ed up IMO.
More likely the ruckman we wanted went before our pick and not much else to choose from. Most clubs left picks on the table

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
More likely the ruckman we wanted went before our pick and not much else to choose from. Most clubs left picks on the table
Yes no doubt, although I think we could afford to have a look at a ruck regardless given Daniher and Draper were out for the season and Stewart was injured. They already knew Clarke wasn’t providing a lot and TBell is getting on.

Hamez

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Update on Tom:
“Tom Bellchambers has been pretty slow to get going so far. Given we’re estimating a six-week injury, he’s not quite at the point where he could run yet.

“We’ll just be seeing his progress over the next week or two and making the best decision about how to bring him up towards the end of the season.

The 6 weeks from the last update we got would be a return in round 21. This doesn't make it sound like he's progressing as quickly as they might have hoped... though it's only really been two and a half weeks.

The club is maintaining its patience with the rehabilitation of regular ruckman Tom Bellchambers, who is continuing to recover from a calf injury suffered in the side’s victory over Greater Western Sydney in round 15.

“With Tom Bellchambers, we’re still waiting for the point where he can test clinically well enough where he can run pain-free and he’s not quite yet at that point.

“We’re just being patient and working with Tom to build him up once he’s ready to.”

Still five weeks away. Not running yet. Getting old, doesn't heal as well?

Regular ruckman Tom Bellchambers continues to make steady progress in his rehabilitation from a calf strain suffered in the Bombers’ defeat of Greater Western Sydney in round 15.

“We re-scanned Tom’s calf, it shows that it’s healing.

“He’s been slow, he’s still not running – he’ll do that when he’s able – but he’s showing some progression in terms of his ability to take weight through those legs.”

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm pretty annoyed that we didn't pick up a backup ruck in the midseason draft after Draper had already gone down and Stewart/Daniher were already cooked. If Clarke goes down we are going to really suffer the next few weeks and possibly into finals.

Bellchambers isn't the sort of player you'd bring into a final after missing like 6 weeks of footy. Well you could but he'd be so bad you'd regret it.

I'm pretty annoyed that we didn't pick up a backup ruck in the midseason draft after Draper had already gone down and Stewart/Daniher were already cooked. If Clarke goes down we are going to really suffer the next few weeks and possibly into finals.

Bellchambers isn't the sort of player you'd bring into a final after missing like 6 weeks of footy. Well you could but he'd be so bad you'd regret it.
I think if he misses round 23 but is fit for the week after he can play VFL. I'm personally annoyed that the rule is there but it is a thing.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I think if he misses round 23 but is fit for the week after he can play VFL. I'm personally annoyed that the rule is there but it is a thing.

True a VFL match may be a realistic option. The issue whether the rule should be there is completely separate to criticism over our use of it. There have been tons of rather exploitative rules over the years and premierships have been won and lost over how well teams abused them. Hawks abused priority picks to set the groundwork for their flags. Hawks may not have got Franklin since they prioritised Roughead. Geelong took fine advantage of 3rd round picks for father/sons for their flags, they may not have got Selwood as I reckon they would have prioritised Hawkins. I don't blame them, the rules were there and you've got to make the best of your chances within the rules. Sydney and COLA etc.

It just irks me that we had an opportunity to get some ruck cover when we needed it, at no real cost and we decided "nah we're all good". McKernan is an important forward option for us and we may end up playing him in the ruck where he kind of sucks because of this decision.

60sbomber

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2011
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
It just irks me that we had an opportunity to get some ruck cover when we needed it, at no real cost and we decided "nah we're all good". McKernan is an important forward option for us and we may end up playing him in the ruck where he kind of sucks because of this decision.

There were not any ruckmen left after Sydney took the guy we wanted. No-one you would play at AFL level ahead of McKernan, or even Hartley, as a ruckman.

Back