Retired # 2: Tom Bellchambers - Knocks Cam Mooney the **** out - 24/5

Yeah but that’s not described as “traditional” I don’t think. A player at another club used a cadaver and it was considered cutting edge and idk brave or heroic or something because it meant he might get back sooner according to an article on the AFL website.

Whereas I’m fairly certain Crow said Draper is having a traditional one and will be out for 12 months.
I thought 'traditional' referred to repairing the tendon with another tendon, be it one of the patient's own tendons or from a dead guy. The alternative being LARS with the synthetic tendon, which doesn't seem to be used much anymore.

I thought 'traditional' referred to repairing the tendon with another tendon, be it one of the patient's own tendons or from a dead guy. The alternative being LARS with the synthetic tendon, which doesn't seem to be used much anymore.
https://m.essendonfc.com.au/video/2019-05-07/btv-skins-injury-update-rd-8

Right at the start of the video, first question.

Looks like LARS has a high rate of failure so knee surgeons don’t like it;
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018...l-the-miracle-cure-that-was-too-good/10129102

And this is Lynden Dunn exploring a non-traditional use of a cadaver donor tendon;
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/lynden-dunn.1149942/page-39#post-60148771

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
He’s battling really well and his ruckwork is good but I actually think the end is nigh... he’s just getting slower and slower and slower. When we come up against a mobile ruckman we get badly exposed. Aside from ruck contests it’s honestly like playing with 17 men.

I don’t see how he’s first ruck next year. We’re gonna need another solution because Draper won’t be ready

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He’s battling really well and his ruckwork is good but I actually think the end is nigh... he’s just getting slower and slower and slower. When we come up against a mobile ruckman we get badly exposed. Aside from ruck contests it’s honestly like playing with 17 men.

I don’t see how he’s first ruck next year. We’re gonna need another solution because Draper won’t be ready

He makes it look like an incredible feat of athleticism just to get to the ball on some occasions. That lunge he does to make a mark is the result of moving so slowly to the ball that everyone is going past him.

Would take him into next year but not without 2 genuine backups. Zac Clark is not my idea of genuine backup...

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
He makes it look like an incredible feat of athleticism just to get to the ball on some occasions. That lunge he does to make a mark is the result of moving so slowly to the ball that everyone is going past him.

Would take him into next year but not without 2 genuine backups. Zac Clark is not my idea of genuine backup...

He basically can take the hit out, and then just kinda sit behind the play like a really old school ruck. Then make it to the next ball up or throw in because there’s a break in play which gives him time.

Other than that, if the ball comes near him it’s dumb luck. He just can’t get anywhere near the play.

I don’t know about next year. Somebody for a year or two to bring Draper through would be ideal.

Out of contract options:

Sam Jacobs
Stefan Martin
Matthew Lobbe
Aaron Sandilands
Zac Smith
Dawson Simpson
Ben McEvoy
Jon Ceglar
Todd Goldstein
Paddy Ryder
Peter Ladhams

He basically can take the hit out, and then just kinda sit behind the play like a really old school ruck. Then make it to the next ball up or throw in because there’s a break in play which gives him time.

Other than that, if the ball comes near him it’s dumb luck. He just can’t get anywhere near the play.

I don’t know about next year. Somebody for a year or two to bring Draper through would be ideal.

Out of contract options:

Sam Jacobs
Stefan Martin
Matthew Lobbe
Aaron Sandilands
Zac Smith
Dawson Simpson
Ben McEvoy
Jon Ceglar
Todd Goldstein
Paddy Ryder
Peter Ladhams
Would be interested in a Cat B giant also (preferably someone who is quick to get angry).

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
See I haven’t even noticed his lack of speed because I’m happy with his contribution.

His ruckwork is fine but aside from that he can’t get anywhere near the play or make a contribution. It’s not lack of effort or anything, he’s just so incredibly slow.

The worry is whether you can carry that in today’s game.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

Out of contract options:

Sam Jacobs
Stefan Martin
Matthew Lobbe
Aaron Sandilands
Zac Smith
Dawson Simpson
Ben McEvoy
Jon Ceglar
Todd Goldstein
Paddy Ryder
Peter Ladhams
Zac Smith would be cheap as chips and while not great may actually be better than Belcho next year.
I'll take Stefan Martin tho please. Swoon.

Zac Smith would be cheap as chips and while not great may actually be better than Belcho next year.
I'll take Stefan Martin tho please. Swoon.
You called?

Well on Anzac day that was an issue for first quarter only. After that we made some adjustments (IIRC it was something like swapping the matchup after the ruck contest) and Grundy wasn't an issue for the rest of the game.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Well on Anzac day that was an issue for first quarter only. After that we made some adjustments (IIRC it was something like swapping the matchup after the ruck contest) and Grundy wasn't an issue for the rest of the game.

Bunk is not being as critical as he is making the observation that Bellchambers is so slow now that we need to be planning around the end (which is closer than it is just because he is 30).

He can barely keep up as it is. He's not being exploited yet but there are only so many ways we can hide it.

Admittedly he could also be carrying something and/or badly in need of a rest but the signs are that he doesnt have 50 games in him.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Bunk is not being as critical as he is making the observation that Bellchambers is so slow now that we need to be planning around the end (which is closer than it is just because he is 30).

He can barely keep up as it is. He's not being exploited yet but there are only so many ways we can hide it.

Admittedly he could also be carrying something and/or badly in need of a rest but the signs are that he doesnt have 50 games in him.

Pretty much.

I really don’t think the (probably planned) Bellchambers to Draper transition is now going to work given Draper will have a very difficult and interrupted 2020.

We’re short on rucks as it is - you ideally need four I think - and personally I don’t think Clarke should be anywhere near an AFL ground.

Basically think we need somebody to be #1 ruck in 2020 and then bring Draper through.

Luckily, as above there’s a few OOC ruck options this year.

Yeah it's a hard one to pick as part of his game is "elite": his tapwork - his #1 job, but his mobility is struggling. But even at his peak mobility you wouldn't want him trying to match it with the mobile ruck types as that would be playing to their strengths.

The "hiding" is also playing to his strengths (marking forward)

So for now we're trading off his tapwork vs mobility as to which provides the greater benefit to the team as a whole and the question is when are the scales going to tip.

For me the greater concern than his mobility is I've had the impression he's been unwilling to take his shots at goal at times this year and if he's less threatening as a forward, he's less likely to neutralise a mobile ruckman by dragging them into the forward line.

hopefully some of that rambling makes sense :p

Out of contract options:

Sam Jacobs
Stefan Martin
Matthew Lobbe
Aaron Sandilands
Zac Smith
Dawson Simpson
Ben McEvoy
Jon Ceglar
Todd Goldstein
Paddy Ryder