Retired # 2: Tom Bellchambers - Knocks Cam Mooney the **** out - 24/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 44. Tom Bellchambers

when i see bellchambers he looks a lot more enthusiastic than laycock but he still has a while to go before he can take his place

I was again very impressed with Tom's game. He was very competitive in the ruck (although Wood and Bryan are shite) and was not too bad around the ground. I already have him ahead of Laycock. The only thing Laycock has that Bellchambers does not is match fitness and this is changing quickly with Chook's injury situation.

A lot more in '09
Bellchambers to step up, says Hille

12:02 PM Tue 17 March, 2009
bellchambers_ruck_a.jpg

TEENAGER Tom Bellchambers is set to play a larger role supporting David Hille in the ruck for Essendon in 2009.
Bellchambers, 19, was recruited from the Tassie Mariners and played three games in a promising debut season last year.
But Hille hinted his progress could be hastened this year as a back-up alongside Jason Laycock who is recovering from a foot injury.
Hille has played a varied role, alternating between the ruck and the forward line during the pre-season.
And he is expecting plenty of support from Bellchambers this year.
"I would have thought Tom is going to play his fair share of football this year and obviously with the progression of Jason those two will come in and out of the team for the rest of the season," Hille said.
"Tommy has had a fantastic pre-season and that's certainly going to go a long way towards helping him this year.
"He's still only very young so we've got to give him the time to develop."
Laycock will have a delayed start, possibly along with Mark McVeigh (ankle) and injury-plagued young key-position player Scott Gumbleton (back), but Hille is confident he will play a solid part of the season.
"I would expect him to," he said.
"He's got to get his body right as the coach has said but he's a fantastically talented player and he will certainly help us no doubt at some stage throughout the year."
Hille had no objection to playing as a forward in bursts but his preference was to spend most of his time on the ball.
"I don't really have a problem with doing that. I enjoy it, it's good for our rotations and I'm happy to do that.
"But obviously my role is to play in the ruck for this team and we have got a tall forward line this year so I may even spend a little less time down there," he said.
Hille was hopeful McVeigh could line up in the opening round against Port Adelaide despite injury concerns.
"He's not training yet so it's going to depend on how much training he gets in before round one," he said.
"I would have thought that if he trained next week then he'd be a chance but we'll have to wait and see."
Although the Bombers have several fitness concerns, it is nowhere near the carnage of 2008 when they were decimated by injuries.
"Compared to last year we're not doing too badly but having said that it's not ideal in our preparation," Hille said.
"We're not that far away, with Mark coming back soon and even if Scott can get up for round one that would be great."
Tom Bellchambers is rated a $176,000 ruckman in Toyota AFL Dream Team 2009

Link

2008_BELLCHAMBERS_Tom_Profile_medium.jpg

Date of Birth: 9/7/1989

Height: 201cm

Weight: 102kg

Position: Ruck

Former Club: Tassie Mariners

AFL Debut: 2008

Games Played: 3

More about Bellchambers:

In 2008 Tom Bellchambers showed enough ability, football smarts and strength in the ruck to suggest he is equipped to support David Hille and Jason Laycock for many years to come. The 201cm Tasmanian, who played three senior games last year, has a natural ability to lose his man and find space. His 2008 debut came ahead of schedule but provided invaluable experience for 2009. The 19-year-old has had an encouraging pre-season - significantly improving his fitness base - and should further improve in 2009.

Don't really watch much or any Bendigo games.
How has Tom been doing lately?
With Hille out and all.

Thomas Bellchambers

Will try and keep this a little shorter this time.
Mods: should I just post these as I make them, or should I wait so as to not crowd the front page?

Bellchambers, Thomas
Height: 201cm
Weight: 102kg
BMI ([W(kg)]/[H(m)^2]): 25.2
DOB: 09/07/1989
Age as of 01/01/2010: 20.5
Games: 9
Goals: 1
Contracted until the end of: 2011
Taken in 2007 PSD, selection 8

2009 Stats:
6 matches
36 disposals
Ave: 6
0 long kicks
6 short kicks
3 ineffective kicks
2 clanger kicks
25 handballs
21 effective handballs
8 handballs received
2 contested marks
13 uncontested marks
6 hard-ball gets
3 loose-ball gets
0 intended-ball gets
5 frees for
6 frees against
55 hit-outs
Ave: 9.2
8 clearances
2 inside 50s
2 rebound 50s
1 goal
2 behinds

Description:
Tom Bellchambers is a project player, looking to develop into the ruckman that can take over from Hille once he retires. As a ruckman he possesses a good ability to tap the ball in a desired direction, but does need to bulk up so that he may match it with some of the bigger bodies at the AFL level. He has a good set of hands, and can take a mark. 2009 was his second year at the Bombers, and there weren’t large expectations on him, as ruckman don’t commonly reach their prime until their mid 20s. He has a good ability to make space and get away from his direct opponent. He can also go forward, but isn’t as effective there.

Season Review:
After the loss of Hille early in the season and Laycock’s inability to get on the park, big T-Bell was given a few opportunities in 2009. He was able to play as the second ruckman with the emergence of Ryder, but also was forced to play as first ruck when Ryder was unavailable against one of the best ruckman in the game in Sandilands. He did struggle with the difference in strength and weight, but he put up a valiant effort. Over the course of 2009 he was able to build up some more muscle that will be required for him if he is to ever become a ruckman at AFL level. The change in his body shape was evident through 2009 and he lifted his intensity from 2008, which was a positive. He was given little game time when he did get the chance in the squad, and so we didn’t get to witness his fitness, but whilst he was on the ground he had fairly good intensity, and was able to go forward when needed. At times he let the opposition ruckman manhandle him, and he did give him a little too much space at times, but it is a learning curve for him and he will benefit from the experience quite a lot. Failed to poll any votes out of a possible 240 votes in the Crichton medal, but due to lack of games and on-field time, this isn’t really surprising. Fractured his fibula at one stage during the season, but recovered well.

2010 Aims:
Obviously needs to work on beefing up more, and when he does push forward, he needs to have a bit more of an effect on the game. He is able to take a pack mark, but his kicking, both at goal and around the ground leaves a little to be desired. As a project player he may not be looking at too many games at AFL level in 2009, but that has been said the last 2 years. As far as ruck stocks go, I would think that he would be behind Hille and Ryder, about even if not slightly ahead of Laycock, and ahead of fellow project ruckman Bock.
Will need to continue to work on his work ethic when needing to find his man and getting back to help when defending, but is pretty good at getting to contests around the ground and can direct the ball pretty well with his tap. He has a natural footy brain, and shows that he knows where to position himself around contests.

Overview:
Good year from Tom, great in terms of development and I think his time in the team would have been immensely beneficial for him. Once he fills out and improves his fitness base, he should be a handy ruckman. Only 20, he has a bright future ahead of him if he can continue his progression.

My rating: 3.5/10

Please Note: As Tom only played 6 AFL games, and I didn’t see enough of trainings and VFL matches to, I probably cannot gauge him very well. Others that go to the VFL and training more may be able to add more than I can offer.

[YOUTUBE]qX781i_uJKI[/YOUTUBE]
shows good tap work and second effort, as well as a good mark.

Any more footage/photos of him from this year would be good.

Re: Thomas Bellchambers

Mods: should I just post these as I make them, or should I wait so as to not crowd the front page?

Firstly, great summary again.

I'd suggest posting every second day, or even a bit longer between if you can't be bothered posting them that often.

I might leave the Atkinson one until the next one comes up, so there'll always be two on the main board.

Personally I'm a big fan of Bellchambers.

I see him as a guy that needs some work thats for sure. He's far from being what we need but he is still a second season ruckman and he will take a long while.

There was a couple of moments last season where he showed some glimpses of just what he can do. One in particular was a big strong grab and goal against Hawthorn the first time we played them (???) .

He's in a good position that we don't have to rush him along. We have a few options in that area provided we get some luck. Realistically, he's 4th choice but considering the fact that we will probably play 3 ruckman (Hille, Laycock, Ryder) he'll get some development time in the VFL playing 1st ruck.

when you go into a final with no ruckman signs not looking good. Tom will not play senior football 2010 and will be delisted. they didin't give him an oppurtunity against Adelaide cause the coach don't rate him.

when you go into a final with no ruckman signs not looking good.

Ever thought of match-ups? Maybe Adelaide didn't have any star ruckman? Plus maybe a way of exploting their weaknesses was thought to be throwing a utility in the ruck?

I don't think he was ready, quite simply, for finals footy either. Young ruckman with a limited engine, it would have been a dog act to throw him in and play him as the no.1 ruckman. Maric isn't quick, either is Moran, and Tippett isn't a ruckman. I can see why we didn't opt to put him in, we thought there was a certain weakness there.

Bellchambers though if you have read up on some of the training reports this preseason, is one of the big improvers on the track. I know it means very little, but signs are looking good for considerable improvement next season. Chest/upper body bigger & his seems to be running a little more freely, might have dropped some weight or possibly turned most of it into muscle. Lets hope Tommy can turn it up a notch next season!

when you go into a final with no ruckman signs not looking good. Tom will not play senior football 2010 and will be delisted. they didin't give him an oppurtunity against Adelaide cause the coach don't rate him.

Or maybe he was seen as too inexperienced, not suited for the match, not ready for finals footy. Maybe he wasn't expected to play at all in 2008, or 2009. Maybe he hasn't ever run out an entire game, and Adelaide worked us over in the last quarter the first time, so we needed players to run it out.
Bit harsh on a bloke that is only in his 2nd year, is only 20, and plays the position that is usually dominated by players 25yo+.

Absoloutely Rediculous!... That is all that needs to be said about that.

I am not a huge fan of T-Bell either. I personally don't see much potential, and seems out of place on the footy field. But I do hope I am wrong and that he will improve with more experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he's a 20 year old ruckman. Plenty of time for him.

I reckon a lot of people here would have written of Hille up until 1-2 years ago
E.F.A.

It wasn't until Hille's 2008 breakout season that all of the pessimists stopped bagging him. In 2007, many on here were claiming Laycock was ahead.

Or maybe he was seen as too inexperienced, not suited for the match, not ready for finals footy. Maybe he wasn't expected to play at all in 2008, or 2009. Maybe he hasn't ever run out an entire game, and Adelaide worked us over in the last quarter the first time, so we needed players to run it out.
Bit harsh on a bloke that is only in his 2nd year, is only 20, and plays the position that is usually dominated by players 25yo+.

Great point, for Bellchambers to play as much as he did last year and show a bit means the signs for him are all positive for the future.

Any reason these can't just be posted in the player watch threads? Save cluttering the main board.

Anyway, I am quite excited about Bellys future. Not sure that Laycock is going to make it realistically, so any strides Belly makes each year are crucial. As we have seen the last two seasons, it only took a couple of injuries to expose the ruck thinness. Now with Belly and the emergence of Ryder, I am not so concerned.

Any reason these can't just be posted in the player watch threads? Save cluttering the main board.

Ben the Gooner has said that he will merge the eldest thread with the one in player watch once there are 3 on the main board. I am happy to just put them straight in the Player Watch thread, but as has been found previously, many people are a little too lazy to click on the Player Watch forum and so not as much discussion is generated. My main reason for posting in the main board was because there was a call for more footy related discussion, and so I thought that it would be a good idea... I guess I can stop with these threads if you would like though.

We're cluttering it with good s**t/discussion though. That's the kind of s**t I like.

People's expectations of Bellchambers are unrealistic.

He was one of 9 rucks drafted in the 2007 - ND,PSD and Rookie Draft.

He is currently the third best performed ruckman from the 2007 NB, albeit a long way from kreuzer and McEvoy.

Ben the Gooner has said that he will merge the eldest thread with the one in player watch once there are 3 on the main board. I am happy to just put them straight in the Player Watch thread, but as has been found previously, many people are a little too lazy to click on the Player Watch forum and so not as much discussion is generated. My main reason for posting in the main board was because there was a call for more footy related discussion, and so I thought that it would be a good idea... I guess I can stop with these threads if you would like though.

No, that sounds like a good way to do it. I was not meaning to sound like I was having a go or anything like that. Guess I was just picturing the main board looking like the player watch board all of a sudden. What Ben has proposed sounds reasonable. Cheers Teak. They are good reviews. :thumbsu:

No, that sounds like a good way to do it. I was not meaning to sound like I was having a go or anything like that. Guess I was just picturing the main board looking like the player watch board all of a sudden. What Ben has proposed sounds reasonable. Cheers Teak. They are good reviews. :thumbsu:

Sorry, just read my post - seemed more aggressive/dismissive than I intended. I was going for my P's so I was a little edgy... Don't worry I got them:thumbsu:
I had better post Bock's one then...

He is currently the third best performed ruckman from the 2007 NB, albeit a long way from kreuzer and McEvoy.

I wouldn't say he was a long way from McEvoy at all. McEvoy hasn't done a hell of a lot either.

Here we go lads. My boy Bellchambers is BACK! Sit back, relax and watch the magic happen baby :thumbsu: BOG :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back