Retired # 2: Tom Bellchambers - Knocks Cam Mooney the **** out - 24/5

Remove this Banner Ad

The entire reason Smack has played 50 games in 9 years of AFL isn't exactly due to lack of talent.
Yes it is haha. Everyone calls him a spud, he tries his heart out. He is a foot soldier that can't quite make it as either a ruckman or forward so he tries to be both at varying levels of success.

Yes it is haha. Everyone calls him a spud, he tries his heart out. He is a foot soldier that can't quite make it as either a ruckman or forward so he tries to be both at varying levels of success.
It really isn't. It's entirely mental with Smack.

It really isn't. It's entirely mental with Smack.

Yeah agree here, although not with the third string ruckman comment. Think he is a better ruckman than Smack, although Im not 100% confident he'll get back to that level. Think its a mute point about their ruck abilities because their role in the team will be primarily as a fwd who rucks 20-30% of game time since Luey is our clear 1st choice and can't play more than 30% fwd. Because of this, I think Bellchambers at his best would be a better option than Smack.

Bellchambers is soft, terrible below his knees and is a one trick pony as a forward. McKernan goes hard and is like having an additional mid/CHF running around. If McKernan plays the next couple of weeks, like he did last week, he may very well find himself fighting Leuenberger for the number 1 ruck spot.

Leuenberger is clearly the best ruckman at the club - a standout for no.1. Sure he may not be as good forward but it's about being a ruckman for 80% of the game.

McKernan is our best choice for no.2 ruckman - playing 20% ruck, forward and running up the ground on occasions should be ideal for him.

Bellchambers is inferior in ruck compared to Leuenberger but long term is a better no.1 ruck fit than McKernan as smack won't hold up playing there week after week. McKernan is far superior around the ground and provides a more mobile forward setup. So IMO Bellchambers only plays if Leuenberger is injured.

Leuenberger is clearly the best ruckman at the club - a standout for no.1. Sure he may not be as good forward but it's about being a ruckman for 80% of the game.

McKernan is our best choice for no.2 ruckman - playing 20% ruck, forward and running up the ground on occasions should be ideal for him.

Bellchambers is inferior in ruck compared to Leuenberger but long term is a better no.1 ruck fit than McKernan as smack won't hold up playing there week after week. McKernan is far superior around the ground and provides a more mobile forward setup. So IMO Bellchambers only plays if Leuenberger is injured.

The issue with Smack isn't when he is ruck, its when he cant be in the middle for a majority of the game. He does fine when he is the main man, he just gets lost when playing as mainly a forward and pinch hitting.

Bellchambers is comfortably ahead of Smack in the ruck and up forward. Smack is lucky to be on an AFL list, even though he did play well on the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think between Smack, TBC and Luey its a week by week thing. Sometimes It could be just Luey with Daniher doing 10%, others it could be Luey and Smack, others it could be Luey and TBC... I would like to see TBC dominate in the VFL before coming in, especially if Smack plays this week like he did last week.

I think ideally Luey is our 80% ruck every week and then Smack or Stewart can turn into a 20% ruck and 1.5 goal a game forward. I don't ever want to see TBC as a 20% ruck and 80% forward, it completely ruins the advantage we have with Fantasia, Green, Colyer and Walla as high pressure forwards. If Smack or Stewart can't become good enough to be the 20% ruck and 80% forward then we should continue playing smalls like we did last week and have daniher give Luey a chop out. I know some don't want Joe rucking but he lifts a little when he gets five minutes in the ruck, good for his game I believe.

Bellchambers is comfortably ahead of Smack in the ruck and up forward. Smack is lucky to be on an AFL list, even though he did play well on the weekend.

Ah so that's who you have moved onto from Ambrose.

Ah so that's who you have moved onto from Ambrose.
"Moved onto". I'm just stating facts. After last season he is extremely lucky to be on an AFL list.

I have him as the third string ruck - He will need injuries to play senior footy - A poor fit for our structure.

I have no idea how we go from a preferred structure of 2 key forwards and a ruck, with three small forwards, to playing two lumbering rucks along side two key forwards.

Stewart and McKernan fit alongside Luenberger but Bellchambers does not.

will probably get a shot because of the short back-up and the likely heavy, wet conditions on tuesday. but i just get nauseous thinking of him and leuenberger in the same team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back