Remove this Banner Ad

Claythesmiths

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Contracted until he’s eligible for free agency. That scares me a little. Still relieved it’s been done though.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I won’t sleep between now and 31 Oct 2021. I understand from the player’s perspective, would have preferred the club to push harder/offer more to have an outcome in the 5 year range. I blame Sam Power, obviously over-awed by rays of Bont-ness during negotiations and failed to say or do anything meaningful. 2021 will be a roller coaster if Bont doesn’t renew again before the end of that season. Must sign Lin Jong to 10-year deal as a fall-back option now.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For some perspective on anyone worried by it being just 2 years, Patrick Cripps (who's just been named Carlton's captain) did exactly the same thing earlier this year.

It's not a cause for concern. This is good news.

Agree and it’s a 2 year extension so contracted for 3 and didn’t have to extend for another year so shows he wants to stay.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Puts pressure on the club to gear back up for finals and push for a flag in the next 1-3 years. Not a bad thing imo.

From a player perspective it’s a no brainer - sign a juicy extension but maximise your earning potential and choice if destination in your prime. Exactly what I’d expect from Bontempelli, or indeed any other great young player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yea, we would have all preferred to sign him for life but there is no way his manager would have allowed that.
Don't go bagging Sam Power for not getting him on a longer contract - He's done what he needed to and got him to extend to free agency which is all we could have hoped for.
He will get millions thrown at him by rival clubs at that stage and if he goes we will be compensated with some juicy draft picks.
The reality is that whilst he is a rare talent, he has been All-Australian once. He needs to, and I have no doubt he will, take his game to another level.
The other thing to consider is that the club will make him captain before he has to make a free-agency decision - makes it a little bit harder to leave when you're a captain with everyone looking up to you.

The club wanted 5 and they got 2 - we need to make that 2 count with another flag.

Jun 5, 2013
The Stoop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MCFC, Lakers, Phillies, NY Rangers
Get used to this. Players will always want to explore free agency. It doesn't mean he is even thinking about leaving, but they will want to negotiate contracts to give them this flexibility regardless.
I'd say this is the the strong advice every player would get from their management now.

Bemoreboyddog

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would have preferred longer but in the little video put up by the club with Marcus speaking throughout its one line that gets me. And puts me back at ease.

“I want and NEED to be a part of this.”

This is like a movie where I get attached to the good guy and it’s just got to that part of the movie where he’s about to kick the bad guys ass. Now I’m giddy.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Time to be captain now. Co-captain at the very least. This is his team. His and Bevos. As a club, the board and managerment have to be accountable and prosperous and professional and help create the culture that Bont and those under him want to be part of.

webbo

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Time to be captain now. Co-captain at the very least. This is his team. His and Bevos. As a club, the board and managerment have to be accountable and prosperous and professional and help create the culture that Bont and those under him want to be part of.
I'd say it's still Wood's team. He is a premiership captain after all. Bont is only 22 and can serve a worthwhile apprenticeship from Wood for a couple of more years I think. He has already captained the team at times, which is invaluable leadership experience.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
You have had the same thoughts as me (I posted them in the other thread :)).
He should be made captain before his current contract is over.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
Smart play by Power

Get some good picks when Bont goes (as he will be in his primie) to GWS on a 7 year deal

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back