Player Watch #20: Adam Tomlinson – The Best Adam In MFC History

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s great that he’s playing well down back but it’s so ironic we grabbed him as a wingman cos we had none and now he’s playing KPD despite us having a handful more not getting a game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I dont think the club said he was a straight up wing did they? Alot of people recognised he was better as a 3rd tall in defence and it's not like we are flush with talls who are playing well.

Funnily enough, I think his contract was similar to that of Frosty's , the man he has now replaced in our backline. xD

On a related note, have you considered changing your username to something more David King friendly instead? ImissPremiershipKryptonite perhaps?
How dare you compare these two. Could've just given frosty the 50-100k more he wanted and we would have held onto a future all-australian. Also, David King wouldn't know talent if it him in the face the useless prick.

I dont think the club said he was a straight up wing did they? Alot of people recognised he was better as a 3rd tall in defence and it's not like we are flush with talls who are playing well.

I think the club acknowledged his versatility but basically came out and said we wanted to play him as a winger... From The Age, after Tomlinson's signing:

Adam Tomlinson is looking forward to some consistency in his playing role after being earmarked for a spot on the wing at Melbourne.

During his time at GWS, Tomlinson was used as a utility, spending time both in attack and defence, on the wing, and even pinch-hitting as an undersized 194-centimetre ruckman.

However Melbourne have identified Tomlinson primarily as a wingman.

"[My versatility is] something that's been really good for me, but at the same time, it might have left me out of the side at times," Tomlinson said.

"[Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin] spoke about playing a consistent role, having a purpose over pre-season and once games start, being cemented in that spot and getting some continuity with my footy.

"Steve May's got a ripping left foot out of the backline, I won't mind getting hit on the wing with that, it's pretty good."

"[My versatility is] something that's been really good for me, but at the same time, it might have left me out of the side at times," Tomlinson said.
He missed two games between 2017-2019. Seems like this is a bit of an acute reaction to being dropped for the elimination final last year.

His role is to make his teammates more than the sum of their parts. Is doing that at the moment. Long may it continue. But it's not as though he's ever been some kind of star on the wing. His versatility adds to his price as a role player, but he's still v much a role player at best.

He missed two games between 2017-2019. Seems like this is a bit of an acute reaction to being dropped for the elimination final last year.

His role is to make his teammates more than the sum of their parts. Is doing that at the moment. Long may it continue. But it's not as though he's ever been some kind of star on the wing. His versatility adds to his price as a role player, but he's still v much a role player at best.

Yeah for sure. He's been no star on the wing (or anywhere) - just a very handy and versatile role player.

I think, however, he and Langdon were recruited to 'fix' our wing problems and it's obvious that Langdon is a natural winger, and Tomlinson hasn't been able to perform on the other wing. Thankfully, he's been decent down back.

Yeah for sure. He's been no star on the wing (or anywhere) - just a very handy and versatile role player.

I think, however, he and Langdon were recruited to 'fix' our wing problems and it's obvious that Langdon is a natural winger, and Tomlinson hasn't been able to perform on the other wing. Thankfully, he's been decent down back.
I think we were trying to fix one wing problem - the offensive winger position. The defensive winger problem is actually relatively easy to fix by putting someone like vandenBerg or Jones in that position (I still don’t see why Harmes can’t do it), especially now that the back 6 is more well set up than the past two years anyway. Don’t need to import in a star to play that role.

I think the club acknowledged his versatility but basically came out and said we wanted to play him as a winger... From The Age, after Tomlinson's signing:

Adam Tomlinson is looking forward to some consistency in his playing role after being earmarked for a spot on the wing at Melbourne.

During his time at GWS, Tomlinson was used as a utility, spending time both in attack and defence, on the wing, and even pinch-hitting as an undersized 194-centimetre ruckman.

However Melbourne have identified Tomlinson primarily as a wingman.

"[Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin] spoke about playing a consistent role, having a purpose over pre-season and once games start, being cemented in that spot and getting some continuity with my footy.

"Steve May's got a ripping left foot out of the backline, I won't mind getting hit on the wing with that, it's pretty good."
Yeah well this is the same coaching staff thar recruited Jake Melksham to play in defence.
I'm not really sure the point of this discussion anyways I've forgotten but atleast instead of Pidgeon holing him they've moved him back to his natural position

Found his spot for sure, solid as a rock. Been excellent since we moved him back from the wing half way thru last season really. Good to see him getting his credit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While talking Goody, has anyone noticed any new catch phrases or buzz words added to the repertoire this year? Always keen to add more to my signature if they are out there.

While talking Goody, has anyone noticed any new catch phrases or buzz words added to the repertoire this year? Always keen to add more to my signature if they are out there.
No. He’s been hitting ordinary numbers on pleasing and learnings. I’m expecting something new from him 2021, and I sense it could be big

Our backline is possibly the best I've seen at the club. Tomlinson compliments May and Lever beautifully. He allows Lever to do Lever things. Great move by Goodwin which is paying off.

Yes, we definitely need someone in the backline politely praising and congratulating May and Lever

Just quietly how great has this bit of recruitment been? FA on a good to average salary whos become a very very reliable 3rd tall defender. Moving him to defence has been a stroke of genius and a big part of why we are 4-0

Just quietly how great has this bit of recruitment been? FA on a good to average salary whos become a very very reliable 3rd tall defender. Moving him to defence has been a stroke of genius and a big part of why we are 4-0
I was very happy with him stepping up when May went down.

As a side note, it reminds me of that 12th man bit about Peter Craven viciously head-butting Tony Lockett's elbow. The tribunal gave him 16 weeks, while Lockett will be off for 12 with an elbow injury ;)

Hope they put the bits of his skull back together quickly and send Hawkins some skating elbow pads in the mail

Doesn't lose many one on ones and there is never any poor disposals or decisions made with him with the ball in his hands

Remove this Banner Ad

Back