Yabby Medal votes: 15 (eighth)

Averages

Kicks: 10.5 per game
Handballs: 8.0 per game
Disposals: 18.5 per game
Marks: 3.2 per game
Tackles: 4.3 per game

Milestones

Played first game for Hawthorn (round 3, 2019 versus North Melbourne)

Standout

Round 23, 2019 (versus West Coast Eagles): After having shown glimpses of his best form earlier in the season, Wingard finally demonstrated why Hawthorn was prepared to pay up to trade for the mercurial genius during the 2018 trade period. Wingard dominated the midfield, picking up 28 disposals and laying five tackles, as well as having 10 inside 50s for the Hawks as the Hawks upset the Eagles by 48 points at Optus Stadium and knocking the Eagles out of the top four. It was the culmination of a rich month of form for Wingard, who averaged 26.5 disposals per game over the last month of the season as Clarkson used Wingard predominantly through the midfield.

Shocker

Round 11, 2019 (versus Brisbane Lions): Having had a delayed preseason due to a persistent calf injury, the lack of match conditioning caught up with Wingard and he suffered an injury during the game that restricted him to just eight disposals and forced him out of the Hawthorn side for six weeks.

First game was good, kicked 3 and sealed the game for us.

Then had a bad patch with injuries, couldn't string many together and wasn't kicking many goals up forward.

Then came into the midfield after building up some fitness and started to really consistently influence games in the middle towards the end of the year.

Our best footy was played with chad as a midfielder.

Really creative in the midfield and has that second, third, fourth, fifth and... effort to his game. Be interesting to see where he fits alongside Tom. I want to still see him in the midfield with stints up forward next year. He could end up being a club favourite...easily. Can’t wait to see him turn a big game on it’s head and get us a massive win

Champion

And > Shiel :fire:

It's funny that despite a 'disappointing' season i am even higher on him as a player than i was going in to this season.

I was always in the he should play majority midfield but i didn't know how good he could be as a mid. With a full pre season and Mitchell coming back allowing Chad to be a more creative mid he is going to be a nightmare for opposition coaches. Who do you stop? Chad? Tom? Going to let Jaeger and Worpel get off the leash?

He adds a different dynamic to our midfield and will still hit the scoreboard as well, i am very excited to see what he will bring in 2020.

The turning point in the season was Wingard’s move in the midfield.

Last six games; 21, 21, 29, 27, 22, 28
I was overseas for everyone of those last 6 games so never actually got to see much of him in that period.

Looking forward to him winning me over in 2020 because I have been underwhelmed so far.

As you pointed out his last 6 weeks were a big improvement, so I hope to see a fair bit of that next year.

Was a prodigy at 19 for us.
Pure match-winner and hungry for the footy... natural competitive streak and talent for days.
Dangerous up forward and crafty anywhere near the pill.
Unfortunately we watched him drift further and further away from his best over the years that followed...
Still unreal talent, but he'd lost interest/2nd efforts/hardwork dropped off/soft tissue injuries and not enough work behind the scenes to fix this.
His demeanour screamed arrogance on the field and he just looked fustrated... seemed to want it all and wanted it easy... and when it wasnt happened, looked to be a whinger.
Argument could be made he was at odds with the club too but strangely he NEVER wanted to leave until told to explore options, his social media & interviews following tell the story.
All of the above, plus his self admitted lack of interest with footy in general now shows us it was a heaven sent trading him when we did.
Hope he stays fit and we can see him at his best again but i know as a longtime fan; there is slim chance of this.
As a port man, i am glad hes moved on.
Enjoy.
So you sign up to Big Footy two months ago and only a few posts in, you come on the Hawks board and talk about how Wingard won't get back to his best and you're glad you traded him?

This is going to go down well. :rolleyes:

Was a prodigy at 19 for us.
Pure match-winner and hungry for the footy... natural competitive streak and talent for days.
Dangerous up forward and crafty anywhere near the pill.
Unfortunately we watched him drift further and further away from his best over the years that followed...
Still unreal talent, but he'd lost interest/2nd efforts/hardwork dropped off/soft tissue injuries and not enough work behind the scenes to fix this.
His demeanour screamed arrogance on the field and he just looked fustrated... seemed to want it all and wanted it easy... and when it wasnt happened, looked to be a whinger.
Argument could be made he was at odds with the club too but strangely he NEVER wanted to leave until told to explore options, his social media & interviews following tell the story.
All of the above, plus his self admitted lack of interest with footy in general now shows us it was a heaven sent trading him when we did.
Hope he stays fit and we can see him at his best again but i know as a longtime fan; there is slim chance of this.
As a port man, i am glad hes moved on.
Enjoy.
Maybe says more about the club than the player because injuries are the only thing that held him back this season. When fit late in the year his second efforts and application the the defensive side of the game were as good as anyone for us. His attitude around the club has been great, is extremely popular with the fans and his team mates and has shown a real drive to get back to his best.

He was arguably our best player over the last 6 games of the season and it is no coincidence that we played much better footy over that period of time. Hope he can stay fit to shut up a lot of the haters he has which comes across as nothing more than tall poppy syndrome because he is a really really great person from everything i have seen.

Never realised how good his tackling was. Makes them feel it as well.

Was playing like he had a point to prove.
Media was licking their lips at every opportunity to label him a 'flop'.
Stuck it right up them in that last half of the year.

Just needs to back it up for a whole season.

thanks exactly whats happened here.
your a dweeb for investigating my online history.
geek.
Were you referring to me here? Because your join date and post count is literally written under your username. Some real detective s**t right there, dickhead!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Above posts are a poor attempt at trolling.

Chad's first half of the year was frustrating. Injury and fitness relegated him to a forward pocket and limited his impact. Having to learn a new system while being given horrible delivery did him no favours either. He struggled to influence games and due to the price we paid copped quite a bit. An injury against Brisbane saw him miss six weeks but also gave him a solid training block to get his body right.

With some more confidence in his body we started playing Chad as a pure midfielder in the back half of the year where he was one of our biggest shining lights. His speed and ability to win the contested ball was elite and made a massive difference to the midfield. The biggest surprise was his tackling and effort. He really put his head down and started doing the tough stuff which was something Port Adelaide supporters constantly said he didn't do (see above). His dedication and application in the last 6/7 games made me think he can be an absolutely elite midfielder. He formed a partnership with Worpel that was amazing to watch and took on some of the best midfields in the game.

He has the ability to be our gamebreaker and he adds pace, X-factor and scoreboard impact. With a full preseason and a starting midfield position I expect Chad to flourish in 2020.

Had a mixed year but finished well. Seemed to grow closer to his team mates and understand the Hawthorn way of team acts, rather than flying for marks etc the whole time like he did at Port,a s the year progressed.

Expect, if he is has an injury free pre season, he will have a massive year i.e. 25 possie average and 20+ goals.

It's funny that despite a 'disappointing' season i am even higher on him as a player than i was going in to this season.

I was always in the he should play majority midfield but i didn't know how good he could be as a mid. With a full pre season and Mitchell coming back allowing Chad to be a more creative mid he is going to be a nightmare for opposition coaches. Who do you stop? Chad? Tom? Going to let Jaeger and Worpel get off the leash?

He adds a different dynamic to our midfield and will still hit the scoreboard as well, i am very excited to see what he will bring in 2020.

Mitchell, Worps, JOM and Big Boy with Wingard rotating through.... pretty awesome....

Last edited:
Prediction: Burgoyne and Wingard will run a chicken burger chain called Wingerz Burgers with favours so good it will inspire everyone to agree on world peace as a priority
There’s a real lack of “dingerz” in this post. Shame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back