Player Watch #20 Corey Maynard - R

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you refresh my memory mate, what's this blokes name again?
Sat next to him at the ANZAC Day eve game, had his binoculars and knew I recognised him but couldn't put my finger on it.
Tim Harrington, think he was made redundant around the time Roos came in.

Good luck to him, and not just for my Supercoach team where his old basketball teammate Greenwood has done me a power of good ;)

Just read some of the family history on afl.com and connected the dots. Didn't realize his pop was Graham Campbell who after his career with Fitzroy coached Glenelg in SA for two years in the 1980s. His dad Peter Maynard played under him and won over the coach's daughter at the same time which shows a certain lack of regard for personal safety in the contest. Peter won back to back flags with Glenelg in 1985-86 and may also have played in up to 3 losing grand finals between 1982 and 1990. Graham was also a *very* distinctive commentator on SANFL footy telecasts. Tiny bloke, definitely with a 100 miles an hour voice. Cheers!

Turns 26 in October, I honestly didn't know until fairly recently that he was so old. Thought he'd be like 20 or something.

Good luck to the guy. I dunno about you guys but 'Corey Maynard' just sounds like a good footballer's name to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did he play today? He had being putting in a few good ones in the VFL
Looked ok, but looks like the exact player we already have a heap of. Hard at it, inside kid who lacks a little in the skill department. We really need to start recruiting blokes who can run, spread and use the ball.

Looked ok, but looks like the exact player we already have a heap of. Hard at it, inside kid who lacks a little in the skill department. We really need to start recruiting blokes who can run, spread and use the ball.

I wonder how Blease, Strauss and Morton would go in the current climate. All could run, carry and kick on paper.

For those who were able to watch him closely, how'd he go? Is he a pure inside bull or is there scope to add more strings to his bow?

I reckon Maynard will only improve on that too. He looked very shaken after that Mumford tackle. He will be much better with a clear head.

I wonder how Blease, Strauss and Morton would go in the current climate. All could run, carry and kick on paper.
This is a good call. All had big potential. All outside runners with a decent kick. Hard to say how they would go, but I feel every kid coming though our system now is better off than when these guys came through. Poor buggers didn't have a chance unfortunately. Chances are though, one if not all would have been best 22 atm with the proper development. We are so desperate for a couple of outside runners. We won't get near GWS in the coming years unless we get a couple into the best 22. As comfortable as Maynard looked on the weekend, he's not the answer. We cannot have him, Jones, Oliver, Viney, Lewis, Vince all in the same side. They are all basically the same player. We lack variety in our midfield and for us to take the next step into finals and possibly a flag, we need some running receivers who are elite users of the ball. Really really surprised we aren't throwing the kitchen sink at Josh Kelly. He'd compliment our list perfectly. Same with Gaff and Whitfield. We can find and win the ball, we just can't use it going forward. Big big problem in the coming years unless we find a balance in the midfield.

This is a good call. All had big potential. All outside runners with a decent kick. Hard to say how they would go, but I feel every kid coming though our system now is better off than when these guys came through. Poor buggers didn't have a chance unfortunately. Chances are though, one if not all would have been best 22 atm with the proper development. We are so desperate for a couple of outside runners. We won't get near GWS in the coming years unless we get a couple into the best 22. As comfortable as Maynard looked on the weekend, he's not the answer. We cannot have him, Jones, Oliver, Viney, Lewis, Vince all in the same side. They are all basically the same player. We lack variety in our midfield and for us to take the next step into finals and possibly a flag, we need some running receivers who are elite users of the ball. Really really surprised we aren't throwing the kitchen sink at Josh Kelly. He'd compliment our list perfectly. Same with Gaff and Whitfield. We can find and win the ball, we just can't use it going forward. Big big problem in the coming years unless we find a balance in the midfield.

That's pretty much what I wrote in the D&T thread, and why we should put Dom on the trade table, as much as I like him. We have too many pure inside mids.

If we could get a good deal from a team needing a solid B+ extractor/contested ball winner, and use that to draft or trade for an outside runner, it'll give our midfield a much better balance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thought Maynard was a bit stuff not to get a run this week
He was ok. Let's not get carried away. We have 10 other players who play the exact same way as him. Will need to add some dimensions to his game to be consistently getting a senior call up..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back