Past #20: Drew Petrie - NM '01-'16 (324gms/428gls) - WCE '17 (8gms/16gls) - thx for everything Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

Its up to him - If someone wants him, then sure its not skin of norths nose. Hes a club legend, a great bloke, and he would be welcomed back with open arms straight after his stint there. Its a pretty rare situation, and for a team looking at finals perhaps his experience is a plus, his tank is a plus, and his age probably doesn't matter with him being required for just the year. I can see why they are considering him, though I'm surprised west coast finds itself in this position.

Problem all along was the match committee not dropping him and others when they were out of for and having the coach blow smoke up your arse to make you feel good.
I have never seen a club with 3 mid 30yr old guys think they can play on when they get delisted (boomer is the exception to that he still performed week in week out.

Drew Petrie wants to coach if potential move to West Coast falls through
8a1372ae707e179fade176146ff5fc40

GILBERT GARDINER, Herald Sun
September 28, 2016 8:10pm

8a1372ae707e179fade176146ff5fc40

DELISTED North Melbourne spearhead Drew Petrie wants to coach should a potential move to West Coast not happen.

Petrie, 33, confirmed his interest to play on next year, but he hasn’t got any guarantees.

The Eagles sounded out Petrie to help boost their dwindling tall stocks with Nic Naitanui (knee) and Scott Lycett (knee) set to miss most of the 2017 campaign.

“It’s certainly no guarantees from them, they’ve got their eye on, I think, another player or two possibly ahead of me,” Petrie told the Herald Sun.

“They’re still working out what exactly they want to do for next season, but with Nic Naitanui going down for the year they have identified (a need) to replace that and I’m one of a few in contention.”

Petrie said he still has the desire to play on despite struggling to find form this season.

“That’s (fire) the most important thing I had to ask myself the question of, and asked a few people of, is the fire still there in the first place and it is,” Petrie said.

“My go over the years is my marking, and contesting in packs, and around the ground, so I’ve got to make sure that should the move west happen that I can bring that.”

Should the move fall through, Petrie will look to enter the coaching or player development ranks after getting a taste at Arden St.

940050-left.gif
It’s a big interest. I love the football industry and … I like that working with younger players.

Drew Petrie
940141-right.gif

Petrie helped mentor what would ultimately become his replacements, including Ben Brown, Mason Wood and Majak Daw.

“It’s a big interest. I love the football industry and … I like that working with younger players and I got some practice this year again with Ben (Brown),” Petrie said.

Petrie, who holds no animosity towards the Roos, said Daw and Jarrad Waite both deserving of recent contract extensions.

“I was so happy about how (Majak) played in that last game against Adelaide, kicking four goals, he just looked like that real dominant forward that can take 2017 by the grasp,” Petrie said.

“I don’t think the club’s moving us all on to go one step back (now and) to go two steps forward in a couple of years’ time.

“I just see it as transitioning on the run for the club and I never wanted to prevent the club from doing that, I’ve had 16 brilliant years there and they’ve been fantastic to me.

“When I started at North I had to get games to become a better player, and probably saw other senior players move out of the way, so I’m in that boat at the moment and understanding of why the club are doing it.”

Petrie will wear his beloved Roos guernsey one more time in a bid to defend his crown as Fox Footy’s Longest Kick on Grand Final Day against the game’s biggest names and a wildcard contender.

Gold Coast-based punter James Pennycuick, 25, who qualified with two barrels of 73.9m and 69.8m, looms as the biggest threat to Petrie and AFL stars including Taylor Walker, Alex Rance, Tom Hawkins and AFL Women’s superboot Tayla Harris.

“The wildcard has just upped the ante this year, James launched a couple of beauties a few weeks ago … if any of the AFL guys and girls want to win on Saturday morning then you need to be hitting 70 metres,” Petrie said.

“I haven’t kicked a footy since we finished so before Saturday morning comes around I’ll have to get a footy and just make sure the quads and hamstrings are able to (go the distance).”

Petrie won the inaugural Fox Footy Longest Kick with a 60.4m torpedo punt across the Yarra River.

Fire also needs to correlate with ability.

I have the fire to play Wimbledon nek year but I have no ability.
you dont have the fire, you have the dream'. I you had the fire you would be out there training everyday. There is no question Drew has the ability, he needs to find form. So if the fire is there then he may well find the form.

If he wants to coach we should be providing that opportunity. Hate to see another quality roo lost to the club forever.

We probably won't though.
I would love to get Blakey back.

You would have to think WCE are offering him a Stevie J type deal with a transition to coaching. He might be up ending his family to the West for the next few years and get to develop his coaching under Simmo and Rawlings.

He has done wonders for Ben Brown so I really wish him well

I would love to get Blakey back.

There's a bit of Blakey talk around. What are you/people basing this on? Him being an assistant to Horse at a well performed club?

Never found him the sharpest tool in the shed or particularly charismatic to be a leader. I don't mean he has to be Brad but never observed anything in him that screamed follow me. Not dismissing the idea because his playing career being founded on discipline and preparation is a good base as well as his Pagan tutelage but just not sure.

Last edited:
There's a bit of Blakey talk around. What are you/people basing this on? Him being an assistant to Horse at a well performed club?

Never found him the sharpest tool in the shed or particularly charismatic to be a leader. I don't mean he has to be Brad but never observed anything in him that screamed follow me. Not dismissing the idea because his playing career being founded on discipline and preparation is a good base as well as his Pagan tutelage but just not sure.

And as far as I know, he has never put his hand up for senior role.

Not sure what that says about him, does he have the desire for a head job? Or is happy just sitting in the back of the room watching someone else do it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he wants to coach we should be providing that opportunity. Hate to see another quality roo lost to the club forever.

We probably won't though.

Only the inner scrotum know if Drew would be a good coach. I'm sure if the club felt he would be good in the role, we'd offer him something...

How do you know they wanted to coach at North?
If i were an AFL player who wanted to move into coaching I would not be interested in coaching at the club I played at. How much new s**t you gonna learn from the coaches you have been playing under for years?

If Drew has got any desire to move into coaching he should be looking elsewhere.

If i were an AFL player who wanted to move into coaching I would not be interested in coaching at the club I played at. How much new s**t you gonna learn from the coaches you have been playing under for years?

If Drew has got any desire to move into coaching he should be looking elsewhere.

My point exactly. It's an inner scrotum decision, we've got no idea what the club or retiree is thinking.

Reckon it boils down to Nick tbh.

you dont have the fire, you have the dream'. I you had the fire you would be out there training everyday. There is no question Drew has the ability, he needs to find form. So if the fire is there then he may well find the form.
He's not training everyday because he said that he has no ability.;)

Gaso = :fire:.

I had the fire, the dream and the arm to throw in the Majors.

2 shoulder surgeries later the dream was shattered and the ability gone.

But the fire it still rages.....

Last edited:
I had the fire, the dream and the arm to throw in the Majors.

2 shoulder surgeries later the dream was shattered and the ability gone.

But the fire it still rages.....
If the fire still rages you'd learn to hit!! People with fire don't let injuries get in way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back