Past #20: Drew Petrie - NM '01-'16 (324gms/428gls) - WCE '17 (8gms/16gls) - thx for everything Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

Shane Casley dampens expectations - Drew is one of three or four players they are thinking about, nowhere near a firm offer, but if they decide they do want him Drew is open to the idea. Thinks his body and mind are up for more football, this year was a roller coaster, and he is open to discussions. No other club has indicated any interest.

I had the fire, the dream and the arm to throw in the Majors.

2 shoulder surgeries later the dream was shattered and the ability gone.

But the fire it still rages.....
I had the batting eye, good line drive power and speed on the bases ...

and discovered Uni life and girls and would have a hard time convincing anyone who knew me now how quick I was as a youngster.

Also fielded a bit worse than Bill Buckner and had a bag of chips for a throwing arm.

Never pitched until I was about 30 and ended up a slop-throwing, spot-hitting sinkerballer in the lower grades. Good fun.

Pretty obvious that Drew is only going to be picked up if WCE can't get a Billy Longer or such elsewhere. Of course they would also have to consider a VFL or WAFL ready made ruckman.

Pretty obvious that Drew is only going to be picked up if WCE can't get a Billy Longer or such elsewhere. Of course they would also have to consider a VFL or WAFL ready made ruckman.
Looks like they are targeting a VFL ruckman according to Terry Wallace.

Pretty laughable he thinks can go on. Too much pissing in his pocket this year I suspect.

With a fit list he doesn't even play our final this year, let alone next year when key players are getting fitter/stronger.

I'd really like to say good luck to him, but it just leaves a sour taste for a very likeable North player to not just go out gracefully ala Spud who was three times the player Drew was in 2016.

I had the batting eye, good line drive power and speed on the bases ...

and discovered Uni life and girls and would have a hard time convincing anyone who knew me now how quick I was as a youngster.

Also fielded a bit worse than Bill Buckner and had a bag of chips for a throwing arm.

Never pitched until I was about 30 and ended up a slop-throwing, spot-hitting sinkerballer in the lower grades. Good fun.

I lol'd!

Control was an issue for me having a howitzer for an arm. Walk a couple. Throw a couple up the back-net. Drill a fastball in someones ribs. Strike-out 3.

Had a 12 to 6 curveball and an elusive slider. Hadn't quite harnessed the spot-hitting before the surgeries ended it.

Played the lower grades too after where I hit like Mr. Burns off the Simpsons with the odd bleeder or grounder gapfinder and an average of about $2.50. (above the "Mendoza Line" at least!). Fist-pump to self whenever I laid bat on a curveball.

The arm became a defensive liability. Had to resort to playing 1st or 2nd base as couldn't make a quick throw from 3rd or Short or the outfield.

Fortunately I had a golden glove and could field like Roberto Alomar. Cat-like reactions. Never made an error in my career (even on the mound) and got airborne regularly to make a diving stop or take "catch of the year". Sometimes I'd dive even when it wasn't necessary just to make a catch look better than it was (channelling LT!)!

Yep, good fun.

Bloody hell now I want to get out and play again!

I lol'd!

Control was an issue for me having a howitzer for an arm. Walk a couple. Throw a couple up the back-net. Drill a fastball in someones ribs. Strike-out 3.

Had a 12 to 6 curveball and an elusive slider. Hadn't quite harnessed the spot-hitting before the surgeries ended it.

Played the lower grades too after where I hit like Mr. Burns off the Simpsons with the odd bleeder or grounder gapfinder and an average of about $2.50. (above the "Mendoza Line" at least!). Fist-pump to self whenever I laid bat on a curveball.

The arm became a defensive liability. Had to resort to playing 1st or 2nd base as couldn't make a quick throw from 3rd or Short or the outfield.

Fortunately I had a golden glove and could field like Roberto Alomar. Cat-like reactions. Never made an error in my career (even on the mound) and got airborne regularly to make a diving stop or take "catch of the year". Sometimes I'd dive even when it wasn't necessary just to make a catch look better than it was (channelling LT!)!

Yep, good fun.

Bloody hell now I want to get out and play again!
Yeah, I play once a year these days in an annual "legends" game, where "legend" is "anyone whose email address they have who is in town at the time", and help out a little bit with #2 son's junior team. I still have the gear bag and kid myself that I could still turn out for a club 9 - I think St Kilda (one of my old clubs) might have an appropriate team. It's the kids' sport you see, chauffeuring them around from Thursday to Sunday from basketball to aths to footy to baseball is what stops me doing it, sure I'd still be great.

Without getting all soppy Field Of Dreams, Just turning up, putting on the cleats and glove and getting out for the warmup, feeling the first throw hit sweetly into the pocket, the shoulder gradually creaking back to life and a little bit more zip going into each throw, brings back all these memories of well-practised skills that I knew took time and dedication to acquire, they're satisfying for nothing but their own sake, even if in the end I was never that great.

Pretty laughable he thinks can go on. Too much pissing in his pocket this year I suspect.

With a fit list he doesn't even play our final this year, let alone next year when key players are getting fitter/stronger.

I'd really like to say good luck to him, but it just leaves a sour taste for a very likeable North player to not just go out gracefully ala Spud who was three times the player Drew was in 2016.

You are dead right. We've always liked Drew and even if he was never going to be the next Carey, we saw him as a decent player who gave what he had. He played at least one season too long though, and even though he made 300 that achievement also shone a light on him in a bad way.

Why is it that north no longer has the ability to make honest calls? Surely somebody at the club can be straight with these guys?

But as you say, too much pissing in pockets, and players 30 plus still believe in the easter bunny, the tooth fairy and Santa.

I don't actually believe that west coast want Drew next year. If they do they are crazy. Sure, they have a one year gap to fill, but with all due respect, Drew, look for a coaching or development role if you need to stay involved.

Age was catching up to Drew in 2014 and it just got harder from there.
Yep.

The Boomer record game was good. But that kind of output was rare in the last couple of seasons. Would have been great if he'd been able to get his body right to put in a few more like that. Would have been a fitting end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DFA period is over though... Rookie?

Not exactly the definition of a rookie though is he.
Not quite.

Saturday November 26 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) begins

Sunday November 27, 2pm - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) closes

Monday November 30, 2pm - Final AFL club list lodgement

Delisted players can also nominate for the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft.

Not quite.

Saturday November 26 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) begins

Sunday November 27, 2pm - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (3) closes

Monday November 30, 2pm - Final AFL club list lodgement

Delisted players can also nominate for the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft.
Huh, weird. Media outlets have been running with the "official" draft order as "DFA has closed".

What the. So clubs can pick up guys post draft that may have impacted their draft order?

The best part about this is Greg Denham was adamant Drew would not be going to the Eagles. He said he'd cancel his membership if they picked him up. KB will get stuck into him big time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back