Past #20: Drew Petrie - NM '01-'16 (324gms/428gls) - WCE '17 (8gms/16gls) - thx for everything Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bring Back Roo Ruckle
What pick did we take young Drew with???

I am glad we picked him up.. thats for sure..

Gonna be a lil champ.. a lil champion I tell you! (With D.Motlop)

Go Roos

National 23
(Draft choice 23 traded by Adelaide for Evan Hewitt)

Drew Petrie North Ballarat U18 U18 VCFL 9

I reckon this bloke is our next big thing. He has been getting scant regard by some posters, and quite frankly I can't understand it. This kid will be a gun. His work ethic is second to none and he's the type of kid you'd like your daughter to... (oops some habits die hard!)
I cant believe some people (admittedly a small minority) haven't got him in their best 22. I am a big big fan of the boy!! The one to watch...

windsock i agree
he marks the ball cleanley,great 2nd efforts is tough and has some genuine size about hime.
great pedigree in being ron andrews nephew.
no wonder essendon went so hard at him in the offseason.
definitly one to watch
fruitbat

Originally posted by windsock
I reckon this bloke is our next big thing. He has been getting scant regard by some posters, and quite frankly I can't understand it.

Point some fingers Windsock....

I dont think anyone doubts he is a future star of the club....he's just a little raw still.

There are some players at North that when the ball goes near them Im not confident at all, but this definately isnt the case with Drew.....If he doesnt get the ball first up he always follows up with second and third efforts....He has all the hallmarks of a champion.

From what i've seen of him so far this pre-season, we wont be waiting long to see this kid take that "next step".

Fighting fit, looks very strong and is moving very well and probably better than 198cm bloke should!

And he looks very committed so far. For the majority of the drills i've seen, he is playing forward and has been making huge efforts to get to loose balls or make those extra hard yards to mark errant passes.

And i say with no exaggeration that he now has some of the best hands at our club in terms of one grab marking. Add this to his natural work ethic and developing confidence, and i think Windsock wont be too far of the mark here.

He certainly defies the good old "tall players take longer" fable.

Loved watching him in the Magoos before he got his seniors call up. He left Pagan with no choice but to play him, his performances were too good for VFL grade footy.
He's got great agility and marking prowess, but it's his toughness that impresses me the most.

who would honestly doubt the kid there is one game that sticks out in my mind that he played really well it was at colonial forgotten who it was against but he played full forward for most of the game kicked 3 goals but what stood out the most was that he is a great mark has a heap of agility very quick for someone that tall and is a very smart footballer.whoever was playing on him couldnt keep up with him on the lead and he ended up having 2 or 3 opponents for the day.hopefully he will go on to bigger and better things this year.

Originally posted by pevas_02
who would honestly doubt the kid there is one game that sticks out in my mind that he played really well it was at colonial forgotten who it was against but he played full forward for most of the game kicked 3 goals but what stood out the most was that he is a great mark has a heap of agility very quick for someone that tall and is a very smart footballer.whoever was playing on him couldnt keep up with him on the lead and he ended up having 2 or 3 opponents for the day.hopefully he will go on to bigger and better things this year.

The game that sticks out for me was the one in Canberra against Fremantle. We were holding onto a 1 point lead and Petrie took three one grab marks in defence during time on in the last quarter. Had he misjudged or spilt any of those marks, there would have been a 50/50 contest for the ball and you would have expected Freo to get a goal out of one of them.

Originally posted by pevas_02
That'd be our game against St Kilda last year. He could have kicked 5 or 6 had he converted all his chances. Didnt miss them by too much either.

That was definately a bit of a coming of age for Drew. I have absolutely no doubt we will be seeing ALOT more of that this year, if his form on the training track is anything to go by.

And at the risk of getting ahead of myself, add a developing David Hale into that mix, along with the usual suspects (Sav and Diggers) and all of a sudden we have a group of key possie types who can stretch alot of defenses. I dont know of too many 196 plus cm CHBs running around in the comp ATM.

Originally posted by Shinboners
The game that sticks out for me was the one in Canberra against Fremantle. We were holding onto a 1 point lead and Petrie took three one grab marks in defence during time on in the last quarter. Had he misjudged or spilt any of those marks, there would have been a 50/50 contest for the ball and you would have expected Freo to get a goal out of one of them.

Yeah I remember that game too (Redback hotel? I think I was actually sitting next to you at the time), he really saved our bacon that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only concern I have about him is where to play him. I'd say he might move around a bit to help team balance. With Burton And Porter in the ruck ,big Sav at FF, possibly Morrel at CHF where do we put Petrie?
Will probably depend on the team we play against. Too many talls can make a team look slow and predictable while at other times it can give you more targets to aim for.
Burton and Porter may get rested a lot on the bench to make way for a more mobile Petrie. If we need him up forward then he can handle that as well.
He could probably play CHB at times although that would interfere with Colbert.

I think in a couple of years Petrie will be in the AFL's top 3 ruckmen.

Originally posted by Carlos
That'd be our game against St Kilda last year. He could have kicked 5 or 6 had he converted all his chances. Didnt miss them by too much either.

Drew was really good in this game and gave notice that he has a big future ahead of him. I can remember watching the replay on Foxtel later in the week and Kevin Bartlett was commentating. After taking a couple of very strong marks in the forward line Bartlett's comment was "WOW" then something along the lines of "this kid can really play". Pretty much summed up how I felt

Drew has played very well in a number of games now. The first game where he was really impressive was a game against Richmond at Colonial in 2001 when he played in the ruck. As long as he continues to devlop he has a very bright future indeed.

I personally feel he is our best young talent. He works hard, he has a heap of talent and potential to get better. He's leagues ahead and better than both Porter and Burton maybe not as a ruckman but as a player because he adds so much more to the team than both of them put together.

He has fantastic poise, a great kick and mark, is very mobile and supportive. I'm so glad that we drafted him. I hope we make the decision, and it's already made in my mind to either have him take over porter or burton's places in the side. Then he could be a part-time forward. I feel he needs the experience to learn his position of the future which is the ruck. He's already physically developed enough to play there he just needs some experience at AFL grade because he's already tearing people up in VFL.

I feel a couple of hard decisions need to be made to accomodate the future, and I think Laidley is the man to make those decisions and I hope he makes those decisions. Firstly Petrie needs to play in the team and start. He's good enough to be there, and likewise for Harris.

Petrie is going to be a champion- perhaps bias- but he is such a huge talent.

He is going to take the competition by surprise- because we are the Kangaroos and nobody notices our youngsters very much (accept Wells) But he tore up the VFL big time and forced the Budgie (Now The Budgie cant be forced into many things and he was definetely forced into this) to play him- because he was ripping the VFL to shreds..

Definetely going to be a champion.

Just give him this year and he will be starting to rip up the competition.

He was very good in the saints game, cant comment on the Freo game but did hear about his marking in the last qtr which saved the game for us.

:D

Go Roos

Yep.

Definately the St Kilda game last year.

That was one of the two I was over in Meblourne for last year.

I think Sav was on the bench for a while in that game......Mighty Mick definately was after Stewie Lowe decked him.Bloody Stewie even got off at the tribunal the next week!

A real talent who has shown that he has the makings.

Originally posted by windsock
... I cant believe some people (admittedly a small minority) haven't got him in their best 22. I am a big big fan of the boy!! The one to watch...

I am one of those small minority. Of my best 22, i already have Brown, Colby, Diggers, Sav, Burton, Porter, and Baird. I can't fit Drew in IMO i think thas enuff in terms of talls, ie otherwise too tall.

Re: Re: Drew Petrie

Originally posted by myee8
I am one of those small minority. Of my best 22, i already have Brown, Colby, Diggers, Sav, Burton, Porter, and Baird. I can't fit Drew in IMO i think thas enuff in terms of talls, ie otherwise too tall.

You will learn:p Just got to wait till the Wizard cup (Grrr.. how long does it f'n take for hte wizard cup to start- I am feeling impatient)

Go Roos

Shinners did what to your bacon while sitting next to you?!?! :eek:

Bloody Shinners! Cant take him anywhere!! :rolleyes:

:p I can assure you that there was no pork related action to speak of :D :rolleyes:

Drew Petrie- the more I think about him the more I know hes going to be a champion.. he is enough of a reason for wanting the season to start

Petrie & Hale... :D

Go Roos

I too see a big future for Petrie. Maybe the answer of where he will play and whether he makes our best 22 comes into whether or no JYD employs the "Malthouse" loose man in defence tactic. I would think that out of Burton, Baird, Porter, Morell, Sav, Colbert, Petrie would be one that can both play back and forward as the game required.

He might end up being groomed for a very important role at the Rooboys.

I have read with interest the on-going opinions on Drew, both positive and negative since the end of our season.....

I pose the question's - Are we to harsh ??
- Why do people still compare him to Wayne Carey ??

I have done a bit of research of Drew's statistical performances from the last 2 years. Have a read below, then be interested in peoples opinions:

Stats - 2003

Averages: 8 Kicks - 3 Handballs - 2 Contested Marks - 3 Uncontested Marks
28 Goals 19 Behinds

Stats - 2004

Averages: 8 Kicks - 3 Handballs - 1 Contested Mark - 3 Uncontested Marks
20 Goals 18 Behinds

It is also relevant to note that in 2004, Drew played 2 games at CHB on Riewoldt & Brown and at least 2/3 predominantly in the Ruck

Also, in 2003 Sav Rocca got the opposition's best defender and kicked 25 goals. In 2004 Drew or Leigh Brown got the best defender each week, and Sav Rocca kicked 49 goals.

I hope this gives everyone a chance to rate Drew's performance more objectively, not just on pure emotion !!!

That is extraordinary, if the statistical difference between 2003 and 2004 was an average 1 mark a game and 8 goals over the season. I know stats aren't everything, but wouldn't everyone have sworn he was significantly more influential the year before last? Just goes to show how strong perception is, when he's an up and comer he walks tall and he looks like a hero, but when our expectations rise he looks like he's struggling, for actually doing pretty much the same thing.

Out of interest, how did his tackling stats compare? as this was certainly a big part of his impressive contribution in 2003.

And fair point about Sav - in the end it's not only the individual's performance but how the team performs.

Anyway, I like Drew a lot and look forward to seeing him continue developing at North for years to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back