Past #20: Drew Petrie - NM '01-'16 (324gms/428gls) - WCE '17 (8gms/16gls) - thx for everything Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

Hoping that Daw learns to stop getting camped under the ball and becomes the player we all know he has the potential to be. Next year, Ben Brown will be our only reliable tall foward (not holding out hopes for an oft injured and old Jarrad Waite). We need Daw to step up and/or acquire another key forward. Not sure who on the list is ready to step up.

We will restructure and it is probably due, the game has moved on a bit and we don't need 2-3 genuine talls all the time.

Even leaving aside Daw we have Wood (who plays tall as a genuine FF/CHF type IMO) along with JZ who can also and probably should play as a CHF / utility player. There might also be space for developing talls like McKay to have the odd game next year as a second or 3rd tall.

For our 2nd highest games played player almost a forgotten man.

Drew has become an immense part of North Melbourne over 16 years. While he has faded in 2017 I hope he bring his best for his last 5 games and leave us with memories of the champion player he's been.

He leaves a big, big hole on and off field and withno excuses left for the next tier to complain of a lack of opportunity to take a forward spot.

Drew has become an immense part of North Melbourne over 16 years. While he has faded in 2017 I hope he bring his best for his last 5 games and leave us with memories of the champion player he's been.

He leaves a big, big hole on and off field and withno excuses left for the next tier to complain of a lack of opportunity to take a forward spot.

I see what you did there. Nice. Fingers crossed!

Believe!

I would normally write something similar to this but it aint gonna happen. The boys might get up this weekend, though I very much doubt it.

But they won't in a fortnights time.

They will be well and truly emotionally cooked. Season finishes on the second weekend in September.

Has been the heart and soul of the club for over 15 years. Love this bloke. The amount of times he has selflessly put his body on the line for the team, ran his heart out to present at contests, been three on one to create a contest, moved to the back line towards end of games to save the team and kicked countless goals under pressure, taken countless towering marks. Will be irreplaceable. I was there the day he kicked 6 goals in the first quarter for Archer's 300th. Unfortunately overseas in Mexico when he gave us Frank the Tank against * in that epic Elimination final but I was huddled in the darkness in the middle of the night screaming with joy as Drewy kicked those winning goals. Something I'll never forget. I had electricity running through my veins and I was 12,000 kilometres away.

Will be sad to see a North next year without the big fella but he'll always be North, will always be Shinboner.

I reckon this bloke is our next big thing. He has been getting scant regard by some posters, and quite frankly I can't understand it. This kid will be a gun. His work ethic is second to none and he's the type of kid you'd like your daughter to... (oops some habits die hard!)
I cant believe some people (admittedly a small minority) haven't got him in their best 22. I am a big big fan of the boy!! The one to watch...

Fell onto this when I opened the thread. Who knew he would be the other record-breaker as a North Melbourne player. A positive, hard-working and at times truly inspirational figure - times now including today.

That is extraordinary, if the statistical difference between 2003 and 2004 was an average 1 mark a game and 8 goals over the season. I know stats aren't everything, but wouldn't everyone have sworn he was significantly more influential the year before last? Just goes to show how strong perception is, when he's an up and comer he walks tall and he looks like a hero, but when our expectations rise he looks like he's struggling, for actually doing pretty much the same thing.

Out of interest, how did his tackling stats compare? as this was certainly a big part of his impressive contribution in 2003.

And fair point about Sav - in the end it's not only the individual's performance but how the team performs.

Anyway, I like Drew a lot and look forward to seeing him continue developing at North for years to come.
Oh, and I agree with me.

Watching his presser today only reaffirms the high regard in which I hold Drew. What a genuine ******* champ!

He will undoubtedly go down as one of the great North Melbourne people. He should be immediately inducted into the HoF when he's eligible.

Watching his presser today only reaffirms the high regard in which I hold Drew. What a genuine ******* champ!

He will undoubtedly go down as one of the great North Melbourne people. He should be immediately inducted into the HoF when he's eligible.

That presser nearly brought a tear to my eye. Absolute legend of the club.

Looked like he had the world on his shoulders tonight. Really felt for the bloke. Couldn't get into it at all and was obviously carrying the burden of a very emotional week, and the GWS having a loose player close by to double team him didn't help either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked like he had the world on his shoulders tonight. Really felt for the bloke. Couldn't get into it at all and was obviously carrying the burden of a very emotional week, and the GWS having a loose player close by to double team him didn't help either.
He should have been told months ago. Shocking management of a legend of the club. This week has well and truly f***ed our season. No fairytales for Drew.

Thanks for everything Drew!

Will never forget the 6 goal quarter against the Doggies in Arch's milestone game and the Frank the Tank as he kicked those goals in the final against Essendon.

Truly great clubman and always put the club first.

Time gets us all buddy!

Last edited:
almost a forgotten man.

My heart broke for poor Drewy on Saturday night. Boomer did a semi-lap of honour thanking the crowd, while some supporters started chanting 'Boomer, Boomer'. It was hard to watch a downtrodden Drew walk off for the last time in front of his home crowd, with almost no acknowledgement :'(

My heart broke for poor Drewy on Saturday night. Boomer did a semi-lap of honour thanking the crowd, while some supporters started chanting 'Boomer, Boomer'. It was hard to watch a downtrodden Drew walk off for the last time in front of his home crowd, with almost no acknowledgement :'(

All 3 of the other retirees must be laughing at the hypocrisy of people getting into the club about respect but then receiving more disrespect by those very people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back