Past #20: Drew Petrie - NM '01-'16 (324gms/428gls) - WCE '17 (8gms/16gls) - thx for everything Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone else hear Drew on SEN this morning. He pretty much admitted that WCE are going to let him know if there is a spot for him in about 3 weeks time and it sounded like he would be taking it.

Guess Simmo and Rawlings have some plan in mind for him but I cant really understand it.

Good luck to him

Did anyone else hear Drew on SEN this morning. He pretty much admitted that WCE are going to let him know if there is a spot for him in about 3 weeks time and it sounded like he would be taking it.

Guess Simmo and Rawlings have some plan in mind for him but I cant really understand it.

Good luck to him
Working Holiday over the west perhaps?

Good luck to him

so sad if Drew plays on, surely he knows and people close to him told him he was average all year and best to retire....

I've got no doubt he will be a good signing for West Coast.
So do i. People forget he was nearly AA ruck before he injured his foot. He was pipped by probably the best two rucks in the last 15 years (cox and sandi). I think he'd be a good stop gap option. Can play back, forward or ruck. Not bad. That cam pederson role.

LOL *.

But he didn't pass up the opportunity to have one back at the club after he was released alongside fellow veterans Brent Harvey, Nick Dal Santo and Michael Firrito last month.

Petrie indicated the club would forever remain close to his heart, even if he didn't remain close to theirs.

"I'll bleed and blue and white," he said.

"But the club was great, they took me off the website about three minutes after I got the flick. They've been quick to take all those things."

Whack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so sad if Drew plays on, surely he knows and people close to him told him he was average all year and best to retire....
You have to remember that all AFL players are surrounded by people on the gravy train - management who get 15% (or whatever it is) of your salary, a wife or girlfriend who gets invited to lots of functions, mates and other family members who probably haven't paid for a footy ticket in years. There's no incentive for them to tell the player it's over.

Audio here:

I heard it this morning - it was completely tongue in cheek. He was just having a laugh as he said it

Maybe. But you don't even mention these things, especially in the media, unless they have hit a bit of a nerve.

Maybe. But you don't even mention these things, especially in the media, unless they have hit a bit of a nerve.
Yeah I do agree. Guys like Drew and Boomer know exactly what they are saying after years of media practice so I have no doubt they are hurting about being told their time was up.

Yeah I do agree. Guys like Drew and Boomer know exactly what they are saying after years of media practice so I have no doubt they are hurting about being told their time was up.
They'll be hurting - but they still have a sense of humour! It's a joke - probably aimed at good mates at the club.

So do i. People forget he was nearly AA ruck before he injured his foot. He was pipped by probably the best two rucks in the last 15 years (cox and sandi). I think he'd be a good stop gap option. Can play back, forward or ruck. Not bad. That cam pederson role.
If West Coast want someone to play the Cam Pedersen role then, on form, they'd be better off going after Mr Bubbles himself.

It will be good to see him line up for east perth.

Simmo : "Drew, why don't you come West, we need an experienced Forward/Ruck".
Petrie : "I would love to come".
Simmo: " So tell me bout this boys club, what's it like" ?
Petrie: " Oh Simmo you'll love it"

You have to remember that all AFL players are surrounded by people on the gravy train - management who get 15% (or whatever it is) of your salary, a wife or girlfriend who gets invited to lots of functions, mates and other family members who probably haven't paid for a footy ticket in years. There's no incentive for them to tell the player it's over.

and i would consider those people not real friends as real and true friends tell you how it is not just what you want to hear...

What even is the point? I mean seriously. I am generally all for players earning as much as they can before retirement, but this is taking the piss.

He's going to up-end his young family for 10 months to play WAFL? Does he still pay his mortgage in Melbourne (provided he still has one), as he wouldn't sell? Does being over there hurt any potential media opportunities he has in Melbourne? Does it delay, for a year, any possible coaching career he may have?

I mean seriously Drew, it's time for you to start thinking about the next stage in your life. Dragging your family over to WA for ten months (not a future) to play in suburbia doesn't seem worth it to me, and as supportive as your wife must be, I think deep down she would be saying the same.

The sands of time catch up with everyone. You've been a warrior and a fantastic ambassador for the game. Don't let your ego get the best of you. You have nothing left to prove.

And Adam Simpson - you should be ashamed of yourself, taking advantage of a vulnerable old man like that...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back