Player Watch #20: Ivan Maric

Remove this Banner Ad

Love this man

CM_4xuRU8AAU4qi.jpg

nice we can then hang onto Hammer and get Burger and have Hammer Burger as our rucks next year.

Then we can recruit Relton Roberts to run after them..
Brilliant! The first post that made me laugh since yesterday.

nice we can then hang onto Hammer and get Burger and have Hammer Burger as our rucks next year.

Then we can recruit Relton Roberts to run after them..

How did the magician manage less games than Burger?

I love the bloke but he just isn't good enough to go with the elite ruckman.

I would be targeting a Lycett/Sinclair type who isn't necessarily player 1's all year but is probably good enough to be. Maric can probably contribute for one more season but I think his shelf life wouldn't be too further then that.

Hampson isn't the answer.

I think the removal of the sub vest could save Ivan, as I woud hope we recruit another decent ruckman to help him. He will always give 100%, yet when he has to go up against the premium ruckmen, his weaknesses standout. I think their is still room for him in the team, but he can't carry the workload on his own.

I wont be a smart arse and bump my thread from a couple of months ago but as much as we all love Ivan, he does look very immobile against the athletic rucks and also, come September action after a long season he is well and truly cooked.
That's why I questioned back then if he could be our next premiership ruckman and if not, would it be Hammer or Soldo! :eek:

Clearly none of these and if we want to challenge in the next year or two I cant see a high quality ruckman NOT being our number one trade target.

Sorry mullet... :hearts:

Should also add that we are lamenting how we got smashed in clearances / stoppages but unfortunately Ivan really battled to halve the rucking contest and so Norf mids were always on the front foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Maric but I don't think he's going to get better in 2016 and beyond. The reality is he most likely will regress further.

Sadly I don't think he's a premiership or even top 4 quality ruckman at the moment which suggests we might need to consider looking elsewhere if we want to find improvement for 2016.

The difference Maric made when he took over from Graham was phenomenal. We all love him because he provides a contest in ruck duels and all around the ground. On Sunday he was shown up again. Unfortunately, as Jakey King found out, determination and work only gets you so far. I'm certain the club understands this too which is why we recruited Hampson in an effort to combat these taller/athletic ruckmen moving forward. He succeeded but was then promptly embarrassed around stoppages and the ground. If only we would combine the two we would have our Goldstein or Nic Nat.

I agree we need to find a taller option and Kruezer could be the answer.

The change in the sub rule has come at a great time. We can now pick up another ruckman without having Ivan rot in the reserves all year. Leuenberger should be the first preference. He's got an extra 2 inches on Kreuzer so won't be giving away any size to the real big boys. Kreuzer's only advantage of Leuenberger is his greater mobility, but he still gets less of the ball than Leuenberger, who average 15+ possesions a game when played as first ruck in 2011 and 2013.

Here's the heights anyway:

Sandilands - 211cm
Witts -209cm
Gawn - 208cm
Z.Smith - 205cm
Leuenberger - 204cm
Ceglar - 204cm
Cordy - 204cm
Z.Clarke - 203cm
Spencer - 203cm
Lycett - 203cm
Downie - 203cm
Grundy - 203cm
Jacobs - 202cm
Bellchambers - 202cm
Longer - 202cm
Nic Nat - 201cm (plus an awesome leap)
Goldstein - 201cm
Griffin - 201cm
Nichols - 201cm
Hale - 201cm
Pyke - 201cm
Maric - 200cm
Sinclair - 200cm
Kreuzer - 200cm
McEvoy - 200cm
Lobbe - 200cm
Campbell - 200cm
Minson - 199cm
Mumford - 198cm
Jamar - 198cm
Martin - 197cm
Ryder - 196cm
McKernan - 196cm

Agree with all of above pretty much,but only one poster nailed it.
Management of him.
FFS he was chasing Daws around in round 23 while Goldilocks was laughing in the stand eating fries with one hand and rubbing Nick Dal with the other
Ivaan has two seasons left if managed right,but he will be like a thoroughbred and allowed to play as horses for courses only.He will be only a numero duo ruckmen

What about redden from port? He wouldnt cost us much and i remember him being solid when he was played...

Just got delisted... surely a rookie spot minimum. Bugger payen big coin for rucks unless they are superstars like nic nat or goldy.

Just think he could be a diamond in the rough if he stays fit. Better than 500 a season for kreuzer as well...

Last edited:
Farewell game against the Saints in the last round.

Thanks Ivy, will always remember your contribution mate, you've been massive for us. That goal in the last 1/4 against the Blues; what a ripper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back