Delisted #20: Jackson Merrett - not offered a contract for 2019 - 22/8

zahoorahkis

Debutant
Apr 20, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Worsfold wasted an opportunity to blood a youngster today.

Jerrett wasn't our worst performer but come on now. Everyone knows what Jerrett is.

Not an AFL level footballer.

He's capable. Exactly the kind of player that could fit seamlessly into a good program like Sydney, Geelong or Hawthorn and excel in a tackle and pressure role. They'd use him right.

Wasn’t awful, but can’t see any reason to persist.

A forward who can’t make the distance from 35m out straight in front shouldn’t be playing AFL football.
I daresay injuries to Green and Begley are reasons to persist.

Why?

We know what he can/can’t do.
Because we've run out of alternatives. Two injuries means all of our available forwards will be playing and there will still be a spot for Jerrett.

bombreys

Club Legend
May 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Because we've run out of alternatives. Two injuries means all of our available forwards will be playing and there will still be a spot for Jerrett.

Play the kids. Any of them. It’s not like we’re not used to playing blokes out of position.

I just can’t see a single positive out of playing him.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Play the kids. Any of them. It’s not like we’re not used to playing blokes out of position.

I just can’t see a single positive out of playing him.

He’s depth, that performed less poorly than a number of other players today, in a position we’ve accumulated more injuries in.

Green going out means even if Fantasia comes in we’ll still likely hold the 3 smalls anyway.

Can’t see Jerrett getting dropped for a few weeks yet, we’ll need him on the short turnaround against Melbourne at the very least.

Can imagine there’ll be a few spots opened up this week regardless.

Started off well then went mia just like the rest of his team mates.
Played as a small forward when two other small forwards went down due to injury.
Probably didn't get much bench time.

Last edited:
Wasn’t awful, but can’t see any reason to persist.
Sums it up for me. Wasn't our worst, but I don't see what we gain from playing him compared to trying some of our youngsters. He doesn't really have a point of difference or physical attribute that sets him apart and makes him worth persisting with.

It’s beyond a joke that this guy appears to be playing on Sunday and Redman has missed out.

Mind boggling.
Only reason I can think of is that Redman is injured. Surely you don't go from emergency without playing VFL the previous week to not in the squad the next week with no VFL game for no reason.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Only reason I can think of is that Redman is injured. Surely you don't go from emergency without playing VFL the previous week to not in the squad the next week with no VFL game for no reason.
You would think so.

Nothing re Redman on the injury update though.

The one thing I would say, I find his case curious. Consider his early career - he played as a small forward and actually looked pretty decent I thought. He had a neatness and a certain nous about him.

Then in early 2014, he goes nuts and gets 35 possessions, against an admittedly appalling Carlton team, but still. Nothing to sneeze at. The signs looked real promising at that point.

Had he hit his ceiling then? I guess so, with hindsight. But to not only not be able to build on that promising start, but not even come close to replicating it again - it's curious.

Back