Delisted #20: Jackson Merrett - not offered a contract for 2019 - 22/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: National Draft Pick # 31 -Jackson Merrett

This kid looks very good. Wasn't sure at first why we took him over Grigg and Markworth; but really liking our choice now. Will definatley be hitting the gym this summer!

Bit of Pendles in his movements and looks like he has a strong hip base already so should fill out nicely. Excited most about him i think, because i think we know how good Kavs can be injury free. But Merrett is a slight underdog who has star qualities.

Impressive stats avg 24 posses, 1 goal, 6 marks a game when your training once a week is impressive. Lets see him train 6 times a week and see if hes 6x as good.

A relation to Roger?

No relation to Roger but he is a great Nephew of Thorald Merrett, who was Team of the century player at some team called Collingwood, we now have Alex Browne whose Dad played for them and Merrett...

Let's hope they can make them pay for letting them slip.....

Marty Clarke or Jackson Merrett, time will tell...

Welcome Jackson, well done Bombers...

from the small small footage I have seen of Merrett is it fair to suggest similiarities with Savage from hawks?

I know knightmare has him linked with Jasper-Pittard
and Snoop has him like a quicker Joel Corey.

from the small small footage I have seen of Merrett is it fair to suggest similiarities with Savage from hawks?

I know knightmare has him linked with Jasper-Pittard
and Snoop has him like a quicker Joel Corey.

A Pittard type would be a great addition.

This may have been asked before but where was he predicted to finish
Herald Sun's mock had him going to WCE at 28, he did not feature in Emma Quayle's top 25 (or near misses), Phelan on the AFL website had his draft range to be 20-35, yet put him in at 47 or something :confused:

No relation to Roger but he is a great Nephew of Thorald Merrett, who was Team of the century player at some team called Collingwood, we now have Alex Browne whose Dad played for them and Merrett...

Let's hope they can make them pay for letting them slip.....

Marty Clarke or Jackson Merrett, time will tell...

Welcome Jackson, well done Bombers...

Was a very good player the history books say..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles were keen on him at 23 and 28, but behind Newman who they really liked and also obviousily wanted a tall back and when a home town player was available they wernt going to let that go.

Stkilda also keen Emma Q said the eagles may have to pick him at 23 as the saints should pounce at 25, so they made a tough decision between Ross and Merrett. He went in his range for me.

Was a very good player the history books say..

Pies will be spewing if Jackson turns out to be a gun, thank god he is bigger than his great uncle sounds like he was a midget. Did win the B&F in 1958 premiership year...I hear Jackson has used the same kicking training, gotta be a bonus...Hirdy used to practice kicking into a ball bin at training...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorold_Merrett

"It was initially thought by followers and players that he would be 'killed' because of his size (168 cm, 59 kg). He made his debut in 1950 for the black and white and his main asset, his left foot, would open a door of success. At the age of 16 he was one of the youngest players to debut in VFL. Merrett played as a wingman and established a great amount of respect as his lethal kick (which was mastered in unique fashion, as he practised at his farm as a kid kicking stab passes through a tyre swing) made him one of the best players in the competition, and to add to that, his small stature made it unbelievable to see his success as a league footballer."

1564925.jpg

IT was a dream more than 14 years in the making and although it came true last night, it was still surreal for Jackson Merrett.

The Cobden footballer was last night taken by Essendon in the 2011 AFL draft, with the Bombers using pick 31 in the second round to secure the midfielder.

Minutes after hearing his name called while watching the broadcast on television in his Cobden home, the modest 18-year-old was overwhelmed.

“I suppose it’s going to take a little while to sink in,” he told The Standard last night.

“Just looking now, there’s people coming through our gate. It’s hard to believe that they’re all coming here for me.”

http://www.standard.net.au/news/local/spor...spx?storypage=1

Really excited about this bloke, not too many 187cm midfielders with speed and great footskills. Put 15kgs on him and could be one of those rare inside/outside mids.

Im with you, im also excited by this kid but 15kgs???? A bit much dont you think?

I'd say to maiximise his strength and speed his body type would only need to add 10kgs-13kgs maximum.

Im with you, im also excited by this kid but 15kgs???? A bit much dont you think?

I'd say to maiximise his strength and speed his body type would only need to add 10kgs-13kgs maximum.

He is only 70kgs, same height as Judd, need to be at least 85kgs. Obviously a 4-5 year goal.

As soon as a young guy comes in, you can't help but be drawn to one in particular and subsequently nominate them as an immediate favourite. In this instance, Merrett is that player for me.

I haven't seen any footballing footage, but just from the two articles I've read about him, he sounds so humble, modest and sincere which are great assets to have.

As soon as a young guy comes in, you can't help but be drawn to one in particular and subsequently nominate them as an immediate favourite. In this instance, Merrett is that player for me.

I haven't seen any footballing footage, but just from the two articles I've read about him, he sounds so humble, modest and sincere which are great assets to have.

Couldnt agree more, i also have a fetish/love for smooth movers who kick the footy with such grace and accuracy.

Is going to become one of my love childs, no homo.

So he's Roger Merrett's 3rd cousin (his dad was Roger's 2nd cousin) and Jackson's grandmother is cousins with twins Alastair and Stewart Lord (which would also make them his 3rd cousins?). :thumbsu:

13kg? Fine.

15kg? You're joking.

:confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back