Delisted #20: Jackson Merrett - not offered a contract for 2019 - 22/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: National Draft Pick # 31 -Jackson Merrett

So he's Roger Merrett's 3rd cousin (his dad was Roger's 2nd cousin) and Jackson's grandmother is cousins with twins Alastair and Stewart Lord (which would also make them his 3rd cousins?). :thumbsu:

Plus a great nephew of Thorold Merrett, no doubt the kids genes are there, c'mon Jackson be the greatest Merrettt ever.....

I would love for us to be good enough to deny a 70kg boy games unless he is throwing the kitchen sink at the selectors.

It is frightening to know think of this guy playing AFL next year.

The overall package sounds good. We are still kind of square one (although there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel) when it comes to run and carry. The loss of Lovett, form of Davey and injuries to Dempsey and Winderlich have challanged the depth of our pace.

While I'd go footballer over athlete 8 to 9 times out of 10 there has to be a proper blend of speed and ball winning. In 2011 there were still too many times we lost games at match committee by selecting pedestrian teams that were run off their feet.

Hopefully this boy eventually slots in as a hard running wing/mid type.

I would love for us to be good enough to deny a 70kg boy games unless he is throwing the kitchen sink at the selectors.

It is frightening to know think of this guy playing AFL next year.

The overall package sounds good. We are still kind of square one (although there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel) when it comes to run and carry. The loss of Lovett, form of Davey and injuries to Dempsey and Winderlich have challanged the depth of our pace.

While I'd go footballer over athlete 8 to 9 times out of 10 there has to be a proper blend of speed and ball winning. In 2011 there were still too many times we lost games at match committee by selecting pedestrian teams that were run off their feet.

Hopefully this boy eventually slots in as a hard running wing/mid type.

Well Hill (freo) played in his first year and he was considerably lighter. Im surprised that he only weighs 70kg, he looks alot more than that. I think he could add 5kg as he has the frame to do that before his first AFL game (sometime next year, 2012).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorold_Merrett

"It was initially thought by followers and players that he would be 'killed' because of his size (168 cm, 59 kg). He made his debut in 1950 for the black and white and his main asset, his left foot, would open a door of success. At the age of 16 he was one of the youngest players to debut in VFL. Merrett played as a wingman and established a great amount of respect as his lethal kick (which was mastered in unique fashion, as he practised at his farm as a kid kicking stab passes through a tyre swing) made him one of the best players in the competition, and to add to that, his small stature made it unbelievable to see his success as a league footballer."

My Dad said he was the Best Player he has ever seen

Just thought today its been a while since we have drafted a genuine outside midfielder at the time of draft.

Melksham i see as that inside/outside combo more inside when hes got the body. Colyer more a small forward and midfielder. Zaharakis also that half forward player/midfielder.

I reckon i have to go back to 2003 when we picked Dyson as a typical wingman tyoe outside player.

Been a while we have had these Monfries, Dempsey, Colyer, Reimer, Jetta types in between but all seen more as forwards at the time of the draft from memory.

I have high hopes for the kid, would like to see him giving a decent smell of the big stuff next year 5-8 games with a few being sub, he could be a nice sub selection.

Well Hill (freo) played in his first year and he was considerably lighter. Im surprised that he only weighs 70kg, he looks alot more than that. I think he could add 5kg as he has the frame to do that before his first AFL game (sometime next year, 2012).

On a professionals diet with a few months in the gym etc even if he is still only 70kg at the start of the season it'll be a much different 70kgs than he is now. Might not be ready straight up but seems an exciting type that i'll watch with interest. I haven't seen him play but liked what i've read about him and would have been happy if he'd ended up at the Hawks. Speedy outside types are exciting when you pick them up. We've not had enough of them for a while and the excitment I. Smith provided this year was a delight to watch. Hopefully Merrett provides the same entertainment value even if it is at our old enemy

Just thought today its been a while since we have drafted a genuine outside midfielder at the time of draft.

Melksham i see as that inside/outside combo more inside when hes got the body. Colyer more a small forward and midfielder. Zaharakis also that half forward player/midfielder.

I reckon i have to go back to 2003 when we picked Dyson as a typical wingman tyoe outside player.

Been a while we have had these Monfries, Dempsey, Colyer, Reimer, Jetta types in between but all seen more as forwards at the time of the draft from memory.

I have high hopes for the kid, would like to see him giving a decent smell of the big stuff next year 5-8 games with a few being sub, he could be a nice sub selection.

Ross was taken last year as a predominantly outside runner.

Interesting pick as far as my mind goes simply as i am not a big fan of 70kg kids as it takes them 2 to 3 seasons to get going unless they have something really special.
Like a lot in this draft he has some good attributes but was one of many rated in the middle of the pack however his leadership and attitude is certainly what pushed him up the list.

Tall enough at 187cm but is very lightly framed and will take some time building the strength up. As an outside runner it is not as important but he does get knocked out of the way a bit even at under 18 level.

Good pace and reads the play well, certainly suited to the wing or flanks and can run all day. Tackling not a huge strength but is proficient enough and would improve with a bit more core strength.

Biggest asset is his run and ability to find space and take the game on.
Skill wise he is pretty good and do not read too much into his TAC stats which do show a few days where he was converting at 50% as a lot of time the Falcons had a bit of a malfunctioning forward line which the midfielders had to bomb the ball into so it makes his skills stats look a bit worse than they are.
In general he uses the ball well. Could probably be a bit more consistent in his ball winning as he is able to find it 25 plus times but did not always push pass 16 or so. Can kick a goal but was also guilty of a few blazing long kicks that where not on.
Can not see him as an inside clearance player as he will get knocked out of the way too easily and is not always one touch in that situation but he reads it well around stoppages and can be a good outlet player.

Has the tools to be a good player, just needs to build up the strength.

Gotta say i think there's a bit of over excitement about the fact he worked at the Cobden Cheese factory.

Also get a little concerned, when a players best qualities are his leadership and character.

Having said that, here's hoping he can stuff 10kg's on in pretty quick time.

At 70kg's and a skillful outside mid, It's got a bit of a Melbourne selection smell about it. Coming from the guy that's seen him play never.

Gotta say i think there's a bit of over excitement about the fact he worked at the Cobden Cheese factory.

Also get a little concerned, when a players best qualities are his leadership and character.

At 70kg's and a skillful outside mid, It's got a bit of a Melbourne selection smell about it. Coming from the guy that's seen him play never.

Id say his best football qualities are his pace, kicking and link up play.

At pick 31 its pretty much luck, considering the eagles really considered him strongly at 23 and 28 and the saints at 25 according to Emma Q im happy with him at 31 and he also fills a need. Genuine outside player, we probably dont have anyone more genuine outside do we. Stanton is up there.

Hes one of those picks, that as i said before we havnt had a lot of late. That player you pencil in as a wing at the top level (Gaff, Hill) type not saying he will be anywhere near as good, just that player you go "yep wing time" at AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll be eating with the beast and at the Thompson household a few times a week over the next two years!!!

I'm not a fan of any player deemed an "outside player" anymore. Don't think you find many players that get that tag in recent premiership teams.

Was told by a bloke who lives out that way that Merrett "has got a bit of mongrel in him". Maybe similar to a Melksham type?

I'm not a fan of any player deemed an "outside player" anymore. Don't think you find many players that get that tag in recent premiership teams.

Was told by a bloke who lives out that way that Merrett "has got a bit of mongrel in him". Maybe similar to a Melksham type?

All Geelong and country boys do:thumbsu:

Wouldn't the following be described as 'outside' players?
D.Wojinski, C,Rioli, C.Bateman, A.Didak

I'd be fairly happy with one of them at pick 31.

Wouldn't the following be described as 'outside' players?
D.Wojinski, C,Rioli, C.Bateman, A.Didak

I'd be fairly happy with one of them at pick 31.

Bateman certainly one that springs to mind, Didak is one i hadn't thought of, but i guess i'm one of the people who consider him a flanker! Wojo and Rioli didn't play through the middle much in their teams premierships i didn't think.

The question is i guess, how many can you have, and how many we would have?

Bateman certainly one that springs to mind, Didak is one i hadn't thought of, but i guess i'm one of the people who consider him a flanker! Wojo and Rioli didn't play through the middle much in their teams premierships i didn't think.

The question is i guess, how many can you have, and how many we would have?

Bateman yes, Didak yes (a HFF basically is midfield with the modern game but hes outside), Rioli NO (more inside than out, has both thats why hes so good), Wojo yes (typical wingman or even half back who is outside).

Gaff, S.Hill, Stanton and K.Simpson probably along with Bateman and Wojo would have been better examples.

Dale Thomas and NDS use to be great examples but they have become such good players because they have learnt how to win the hard pill, play onball and also be recieving/wing types we needed. Same goes with Montagna.

How many can you have? well we just about have none and no good ones, lovett was the man for us and was so important IMO. Winderlich was also that outside runner, but he since has got injured, getting old and found different roles. We have Dyson and i was a massive fan of his, but he isnt going to make our team better, is getting on aswell. Stanton is our only real genuine good outside type.

Heppell is outside for now, but will become an inside type (well i hope so). Colyer does both and at AFL level i know all essendon fans are hopeing he can become half as good as boomer on a wing. His junior footy was as an inside mid though. He could still be more of a forward pocket type yet.

So stanton and i see Merrett next in line now as genuine outside players. Still doesnt mean he gets a game, because Melky can play wing and go inside, Heppell also for now early in his career.

Bateman yes, Didak yes (a HFF basically is midfield with the modern game but hes outside), Rioli NO (more inside than out, has both thats why hes so good), Wojo yes (typical wingman or even half back who is outside).

Gaff, S.Hill, Stanton and K.Simpson probably along with Bateman and Wojo would have been better examples..

Good examples... if they had played in grand finals! :p

Thought this was worth bumping as there hasn't been that much talk about him recently.

So how is young Jackson tracking after one year (well, nine months, but whatever) in the system?

I have been to a few VFL games this year so I've seen him a couple times. He looks to be quite silky, but also fair to say his physique is probably still a way off- too skinny.

What role do people see him playing next year?

Thought this was worth bumping as there hasn't been that much talk about him recently.

So how is young Jackson tracking after one year (well, nine months, but whatever) in the system?

I have been to a few VFL games this year so I've seen him a couple times. He looks to be quite silky, but also fair to say his physique is probably still a way off- too skinny.

What role do people see him playing next year?
Probably about the same. He'll bulk up a bit over the pre-season, but has really had a very decent year in the magoos.
Super silky, looks composed with the footy, but his disposal can be a bit sketchy. I suppose he'll be worked on in the pre-season, but I'd be surprised if he came in next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back