Delisted #20: Jackson Merrett - not offered a contract for 2019 - 22/8

Um no, 2 years ago he was coming in to a season where he was unlikely to get games in a side full of state league fill ins. Go back 3 years and your comment is fair.
2 years ago it was November 15 and had jut played most of his season in the seniors.

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
2 years ago it was November 15 and had jut played most of his season in the seniors.
He had just played mostly ordinary undeserving games in the seniors. He was in the side a lot of the time, yes, but it was plain to see at this time 2 years ago, 2016 would be make or break.

lol Jackson Merrett and Morgan are known quantities as both couldn't get a senior game in 2017. If your 'strategy' is simply to hold them so they are to be delisted to free up more lists spots for the 2018 draft that is very conservative.
Can easily grab 2 delisted free agents (on the same money) from other clubs on 1 year contracts and see if they can turn their careers around and if they don't still have the same result as holding Jackson Merrett and Morgan. So my strategy has zero risk with potentially greater rewards.

Nah. Morgan and Merrett were provisionally offered a contract before the trade period, subject to who ETC traded in. Obviously the players are free to look at other options. The fact is if EFC was committed to the two players they would have signed contracts before the trade period. My guess is the club considered it unlikely the players would have got offers from other clubs. Best case now is to run 38 and 6. Choose 2 players in the ND, upgrade a rookie being Long, and then have 4 picks in the rookie draft. No need for DFA' s.

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
To keep Zac happy.

I think it must be just to keep Zac happy. Honestly if someone can only average 9 games a year in his time at the club, and couldn't crack it for a senior game this year you'd think the writing is on the wall.....then again we have handed out Myers a contract until end of 2019 and he's in a similar boat...very baffling decisions. over to you eth-dog...!!!

I think it must be just to keep Zac happy. Honestly if someone can only average 9 games a year in his time at the club, and couldn't crack it for a senior game this year you'd think the writing is on the wall.....then again we have handed out Myers a contract until end of 2019 and he's in a similar boat...very baffling decisions. over to you eth-dog...!!!
Are you really that triggered by me? I've been saying most of the season that Merrett was a likely delisting.

Also how many VFL games has Myers played the past 5 years?

So in 2 years he played 1 good game and you want to keep him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well he was out been injured a fair bit in his first year and was a second rounder, but not too fussed if he moves on

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

can’t keep hanging onto players like Jerret hoping he comes good look at Morgan shown nothing for 2 years and then see you later.

Players like Morgan and Jerret If they can’t show any improvement after 2 years then out you go also Redman is another heading into that direction

Last edited:

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I wonder how close he was to being selected at different times in the year? From the stands, you don't get to see who was next on the list so you make assumptions. That, or we are holding onto him long enough for him to have no chance of going to another club and tempting Zach over there the following year!

kleanr

Team Captain
Dec 9, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I wonder how close he was to being selected at different times in the year? From the stands, you don't get to see who was next on the list so you make assumptions. That, or we are holding onto him long enough for him to have no chance of going to another club and tempting Zach over there the following year!

Does anyone have stats on what games he was an emergency for? I have the feeling it was almost as many as 4-Door Fridge was.

1 year deal Jacko. Writing is on the wall, work hard and smash in!

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Does anyone have stats on what games he was an emergency for? I have the feeling it was almost as many as 4-Door Fridge was.

1 year deal Jacko. Writing is on the wall, work hard and smash in!
Emergencies are chosen for multiple different reasons rather than simply being the next on the list.

Well he's the worst player I've ever seen to have been on an AFL list for seven seasons, hands down.
325128-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Nobody is worse than this guy. Is literally bad at everything. Yet managed 8 years at Carlton. Plus Merrett would only be 6 years ftr.

My favourite bit was when Malthouse tried to turn him into a midfielder. Bless him
My favourite bit was when Shane Rogers signed him on a 3 year deal to get him to the Free Agency point.

Back