Delisted #20: Jackson Merrett - not offered a contract for 2019 - 22/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Jackson is a massive passenger. Doesn't belong on AFL list. Good teams like Hawks, Cats, Dogs don't carry them.
Brad_Hill03-628.JPG

This guy disagrees.

Never quite understood why he was given so much game time early on.

The strange thing is that as a, largely ineffective, small forward he was at least a good pressure player. He has not transferred any of that intensity into his play as a midfieder where he can't seem to impact a game other than on the outside (and he is using the ball like a guy who knows that his days are numbered).

Holy s**t I hate when he has the ball in is hands.
I really feel for him, but seriously he is pretty bloody bad.

i dunno, i reckon hes the kind of guy that has visible tools... that maybe another club would take a punt on being able to 'fix' him
His kind are pretty easy to find in the draft. The only club that would want him is one which is just a mature outside midfielder away from flag contention... how many of those are there in the AFL right now?

I'd keep him on for depth for one more year but it needs to be made clear that it's his last year unless he can force his way into senior selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He hasn't shown enough to warrant a spot on our list next season. We can't keep carrying players like him if we have aspirations of becoming a top team.

Very lucky to be contracted for next year (not sure what he did exactly to earn a multi-year contract in the first place), otherwise would be in a bit of trouble you'd think.

Reminds me of Kav - just doesn't play with AFL level intensity. It's a mental thing- doesn't have the inherent appetite for the contest and physicality you need to thrive at this level. He's done.

No shame in it - played 50 more games of AFL than any (I think) of us. I'd give my left nut to have played one...

Maybe not - if hes named on the bench maybe he will play twos..
He's not named in the VFL side though.

Woosha said earlier in the week that the on-field roles/expectations won't change for the leadership group. The only thing that's different is that one of them will toss the coin (since that press conference we've discovered that that will be Zach of course).

Zach's played every game this year and was named to the leadership group at the beginning of the year, whereas Jackson obviously hasn't done those things... So it's not really the first time that "the better merrett" has been a thing. Jackson still better than Daniel though... XD (they're not related of course.)

It's funny that whenever either of our Merretts are interviewed, the interviewer almost always asks what it's like to be teammates with their brother... And the answers are always the same too!

Looks like he's playing seniors then - hopefully Jackson will be inspired seeing his younger brother as captain because he was OK early days but has not progressed or even gone backwards over the last couple of years

All good teams carry passengers, they just look a million bucks because they're propped up by the champions around them.
Yeah s**t Cam Mooney got 3 flags and he was never a star.

Poor bloke. In horrible form and his younger brother will be skipper. Thinking trade or delist next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back