Delisted #20: Jackson Merrett - not offered a contract for 2019 - 22/8

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ja...s/news-story/909948723321ddce15abbde3b5053adc

"Essendon forward Jackson Merrett suffered a suspected broken leg in the Bombers’ 14-point VFL win over Collingwood on Sunday.

The 24-year-old landed awkwardly after attempting to spoil Magpies ruckman Mason Cox in the third quarter at Victoria Park and was taken to hospital.

Bombers coach Paul Corrigan said it was “super unforunate” for Merrett, who played his most recent AFL game in Round 23 last season.

“We looked back on the vision and his leg just got caught underneath him in that contest,” Corrigan said.

“From what I have heard he has gone to hospital and might have a break in his leg.

“He’s been super consistent for us as well. He’s one of those players with good speed that we like to play forward.

“Hopefully he can get back from that sooner rather than later.”

Confirmed fractured fibula.

What does this mean now for Jackson in regards to his contract? Stay or delist or trade?

Rotten time for this to happen, but not sure he would have broken into the team for the remainder of the year anyway.

To interpret Eth's comment...
Merrett has shown nothing at AFL level in years.
He's had one decent VFL game and been OK in a few others.
There are kids who are playing well in the VFL (eg. Begley) who can play his position but better.
There's a reason why he didn't play last year.
The kid is done.

Crisp and Robust... the defence rests your honour

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-08-01/injury-update-august-1

Jackson Merrett remains an outside chance of playing again this season despite breaking his leg in the VFL match against Collingwood on Sunday.

The 24 year old was stretchered from the field after landing awkwardly in a marking contest.

He suffered a broken fibula and a tear in his syndesmosis.

“We were really lucky – within four hours of the injury Jackson had that operated on at the Epworth,” High Performance Manager Justin Crow said.

“He had a plate put over his fibula to protect the bone and a band put around his syndesmosis to help stabilise that joint.

“Separately a fibula fracture might take six weeks or a sydesmosis injury – like Mitch Brown had – might take eight weeks.

“So it becomes a little bit difficult to predict a prognosis.

“With everything going right it’s not impossible that Jackson could play in a VFL Grand Final ... or an AFL Preliminary Final potentially.

“For that reason we’re keeping the door open and we’re going to do everything right early, to see if we can progress Jackson’s rehab along in a really smart way."

Longy might get a run? Unless the Belly and Leuey injuries are worse than we are lead to believe.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-08-17/merrett-on-lti-list

"Essendon has placed Jackson Merrett on the long term injury list following a broken leg sustained in the VFL last month."

"Jake Long and Sam Draper are the rookies eligible for promotion."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longy might get a run? Unless the Belly and Leuey injuries are worse than we are lead to believe.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-08-17/merrett-on-lti-list

"Essendon has placed Jackson Merrett on the long term injury list following a broken leg sustained in the VFL last month."

"Jake Long and Sam Draper are the rookies eligible for promotion."

Longy play in the seniors?? Surely that is a joke. He's miles off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why wasn't this done 2 weeks ago when the injury occurred?
In the article it said something about hoping to come back for finals but had a scan and surgical opinions or something this week and definitely won't get back in time now.

Typically they only LTI someone when they know they need to upgrade someone else, because I'm pretty sure they get a lower pay grade or something don't they? They obviously can't get match payments, I forget the rest that's different. They can only LTI list them with the player's permission. In the first half of the year they rushed to put Myers on the LTI list so that McKernan could play, and then Ridley and Laverde got injured as well so it didn't matter anymore for McKernan's sake, but it meant Myers missed out.

Does this mean we are contemplating playing a rookie listed player before season's end? Or are we just keeping our options open?

The only rookies that need to be upgraded to play are Draper and Long and I'd be extremely surprised if either of them are in the picture. Draper would need every ruckman to fall over injured, whilst Long would need to improve his performance significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the article it said something about hoping to come back for finals but had a scan and surgical opinions or something this week and definitely won't get back in time now.

Typically they only LTI someone when they know they need to upgrade someone else, because I'm pretty sure they get a lower pay grade or something don't they? They obviously can't get match payments, I forget the rest that's different. They can only LTI list them with the player's permission. In the first half of the year they rushed to put Myers on the LTI list so that McKernan could play, and then Ridley and Laverde got injured as well so it didn't matter anymore for McKernan's sake, but it meant Myers missed out.
I don't think they can pay them less for being on the LTI.

In fact, when players are injured during an AFL game and miss matches, they still get their match payments for those missed matches.

I don't think they can pay them less for being on the LTI.

In fact, when players are injured during an AFL game and miss matches, they still get their match payments for those missed matches.
I thought I read something about it in the CBA ages ago. It might've been to do with whether it was under the salary cap now I think about it. It was the old one anyway, the current one might be different, the new one definitely pays them match payments for being a travelling emg or being "rested".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back