Delisted #20: Jackson Merrett - not offered a contract for 2019 - 22/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I havent been positive about Jacksons return. I sincerely hope he has a great game and turns his career around - but he isn't a better footballer than Josh Green - and i've got Josh as #21/#22 picked or out of my best Essendon side just about every week.

If he makes the ANZAC team, then I would recommend Jackson purchases a Powerball ticket. Pretty lucky to be on our list, (based on form and that injury), and even luckier to be called up for arguably our biggest Home & Away Season Game (factors such as ladder position for finals aside).

In my time, 100% the worst footballer to play 50 games for the club.

Cannot understand how he can be close to WOG one week in the VFL and get promoted to AFL level the next. Baffling.
I'm guessing the rationalisation is a combination of him being a forward, best on ground in the VFL in round 1 (kicked 5.2), and, in the judgement of the coaches, he is better suited to playing Fantasia's role than either Laverde or Long (the other two forwards left to us).

I'm still skeptical.. but there's a reason they're the coaches and I'm not. :p

I wager he will score more possessions than Josh Green.

I'd take him over Green in a vacuum. They're both opportunists who can get on the end of cheapies, you may as well pick the guy that's genuinely quick and can kick over a jam tin, the harsh reality for Green is that he is 100% going to be the guy scapegoated for a poor team performance so Merrett needs to keep the pressure up

In my time, 100% the worst footballer to play 50 games for the club.

Cannot understand how he can be close to WOG one week in the VFL and get promoted to AFL level the next. Baffling.
I don't know when your time begins but you are lucky Kepler Bradley only played 49 for us.

That being said Jason Laycock managed 58.

Reward for effort, well deserved.
For a club that plays the Begleys, Francis, Guelfi, McNiece once a year what are you all bitching about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reward for effort, well deserved.
For a club that plays the Begleys, Francis, Guelfi, McNiece once a year what are you all bitching about.
8 possessions, 0 goals last game in the VFL, where he wasn't playing a VAFA standard side. Great "effort" that.

8 possessions, 0 goals last game in the VFL, where he wasn't playing a VAFA standard side. Great "effort" that.
Ethy Ethy Ethy, we are talking about a club that continues to re use Baguley, Bellchambers and tell us we are 'MOVING FORWARD'.
Should be a farewell game for the three of them, Essendon people need to stop joking themselves when it comes to 'MOVING FORWARD' if we continue down the same path.
I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, ordinary is what ordinary is.

Ethy Ethy Ethy, we are talking about a club that continues to re use Baguley, Bellchambers and tell us we are 'MOVING FORWARD'.
Should be a farewell game for the three of them, Essendon people need to stop joking themselves when it comes to 'MOVING FORWARD' if we continue down the same path.
I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, ordinary is what ordinary is.
Bellchambers? That's really the example you're going to use? Christ, clutching at straws. Also, who would you rather, Smack, on year younger who gives away 5 frees a game, or Leuenberger who's tap work is consistent but very uncreative and is a poor contested mark, or Draper who would average 5 touches a game? Or even better, we could sacrifice either Hooker, Daniher or Stewart in the ruck... Bellchambers is clearly the best option. It would be different if we had a Brodie Grundy type but we don't.

Also, I don't see how that has any relevance to the point I was making.

Some people really are going to pieces over this...

Orazio is a small, quick player who can find the goals and apply pressure in the forward line. Does it not make sense to replace him with the best combination of those attributes? Would people seriously rather change the dynamic of the whole team, just for one game, so a player who's more "deserving" can play?

Jackson is on the list because he's a depth player and right now, we need his depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back