Delisted #20: Jacob Townsend - Not offered a contract for 2021, off to the suns as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and all but this is a bit of an overreaction don't you think:

drdIAlx.png

Hiring Richmond coaches and recruiting Richmond players is one thing but we could do without Richmond's fan culture.

Don't get why anyone has an issue with this pick up, he either becomes an important part of the mid-field group or he gets delisted in a year or two.

Will be interesting to see how we used him. He would have been perfect for the role Laverde played last this year (close to goal, playing on taller opponents and standing under high balls trying to halve contests) however that role only existed because we were short on other tall options.

Don’t really see a place for him but he is a very trendy recruit and Rutten and Caracella clearly like him, which is probably more important than his actual football ability.

I’m happy in the sense that I love watching him play and he wasn’t getting opportunities.
Sad because I love how he plays, they don’t make them like that anymore he sacrificed his own game for the team and he’s scary hard. At VFL games when you could get down on the fence you’d literally hear the audible thump and wind going out of players when he crunches them and plenty s**t themselves and get out of the way too.
Not dirty just bloody hard.
The former Giants boys will know all about it I know one of the original Giants and they used to all shudder at the thought of one on ones with him in their first years. Makes teammates lives easier .

But can he play AFL level footy.

Solid Post, this is what Essendon needs, it's what Dean Wallis was in the side for in the 93 Grand final. It's what Max Rooke bought to the Cats during their premiership years. As long as he performs a role that allows Essendon to trap the ball in forward line and kick goals from other avenues indirectly related to his 1 percenters I will be happy. He isnt expected to be a Tom Lynch or Jack Riewoldt type of forward.

Except Wallis and Rooke were much better players than Townsend.

Dyl dropped off badly late last season due to the toll the role took on his body. Getting Townsend in for nothing to give him a rest or even play alongside him is a solid move.
I remember Dylan bitch slapping Townsend football wise when he tried to tag him out of the game at the first VFL game at Punt Road actually. That was enjoyable

Hamill was the original battering ram. Took and dished out a massive amount of punishment...so yes.
And Leigh Tudor has entered the building. I'm optimistic about this one.

Rutten and Caracella perhaps still see something in Townsend they believe they can bring out again. And if bringing in another player with a tougher mentality means players like Langford find their inner UFC side, then good.

Except Wallis and Rooke were much better players than Townsend.

Thats only a matter of an opinion. Also a role player like of which I was alluding Townsend to become generally means they are not elite based in talent.

Remember Wallis could hardly get a game at 1 stage it wasn't until he found a niche in backline that he became established and fulfilled a role.

As for Rooke 1 of my all time favorite non Essendon players and it wasnt based on talent or his skills.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well he kicked 11 goals in the final 2 H&A games then 5 in 3 finals to be a premiership player so clearly he did something right.

Define AFL level football?

He played in a premiership side and was a big part of the intangibles that built Richmond into the on field powerhouse they have become.

He brings to our club something that wasn't available in the draft - someone who has played at the level and can maybe show this selfish team what playing for your team mates is. Even if he can't help the senior players hopefully in the VFL he can show our youth what to do so when they get their chance this club actually accomplish something.

Richmond supporters love Towner. Easily in the top 3 toughest players to put on a Richmond jersey if not the toughest. Will never take a backwards step. Always played better as a forward at AFL level and struggled when he played midfield at the highest level. He played one game against the Cats this year where he really struggled to find it and didn't play again for the rest of the year. His 2017 latter part of the season was stellar. Good luck to him!

This bloke has laid the best tackles i have ever seen live, an absolute beast.

We will always love him down at punt rd.

Hes such a good guy too which makes it even harder to see him go to you bastards (sorry).

Will be a good pick up imo

Don't understand why people are so up in arms. Pretty happy we signed him.
Like wise...I don't get the negativity around whether he can he play or is up to AFL standard ??.
Two other clubs who have performed much better than us thought so and if he can bring some much needed hardness to the softest team in the AFL i'm all for it.
If I had to choose between Brown or Townsend I would take Townsend every day of the week without hesitation !!

This bloke has laid the best tackles i have ever seen live, an absolute beast.

We will always love him down at punt rd.

Hes such a good guy too which makes it even harder to see him go to you bastards (sorry).

Will be a good pick up imo

Walla's take down of Dusty was pretty impressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back