Delisted #20: Jacob Townsend - Not offered a contract for 2021, off to the suns as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

The least I can say about Townsend is that he has mongrel and applies good hard pressure. He's one that never applies weak as piss tackles like most of our squad. Not his fault he's given too much responsibility and we have a poor forward structure thanks to Dan Jordan's coaching.

I think he has a place on our list going forward, but I wouldn't be upset if we parted ways either.

He tries to apply good hard pressure.

He'd have to be able to keep up with the game to apply the pressure.

He tries to apply good hard pressure.

He'd have to be able to keep up with the game to apply the pressure.
Tries, yeah. Often is successful too. When he sticks them, they look like they ******* hurt. More than I can say for most.

Obviously has his flaws but at least he offers something...albeit not much else.

imagine getting a game purely because of perceived ability to tackle & a bit of "agro" which gives fans a warm and fuzzy feeling because he "cares". He can't mark, he can't find the ball, he doesn't kick goals, he's slow... so having said that, he'll probably be given a contract extension.

I finally get it now.

When we signed him off the scrap heap there was a cavilcade of Richmond well-wishers who came in wishing him luck, that rarely happens! They were saying he was one of their favorites. Yet they understood why he didn't have a list spot

Now I see it, he's slow, he dosent find the ball, he's an old fashioned clunker....but then there's those 2 or 3 times a game when he snaps an opponent in half with a crunching tackle. Most players give off a tackle like that once of twice a year, but it's his default...every time. You can hear the crunch in the effects mike

Now it probably says more about the state of our club and how starved I have been for a bloke that goes in and tackles bloody hard but 100% fair, but it's almost exhilarating seeing it, you give a little fist pump...

So now I'm one of those Richmond guys, I understand why he probably doesn't get a list spot but I wouldn't be upset if he did.

I finally get it now.

When we signed him off the scrap heap there was a cavilcade of Richmond well-wishers who came in wishing him luck, that rarely happens! They were saying he was one of their favorites. Yet they understood why he didn't have a list spot

Now I see it, he's slow, he dosent find the ball, he's an old fashioned clunker....but then there's those 2 or 3 times a game when he snaps an opponent in half with a crunching tackle. Most players give off a tackle like that once of twice a year, but it's his default...every time. You can hear the crunch in the effects mike

Now it probably says more about the state of our club and how starved I have been for a bloke that goes in and tackles bloody hard but 100% fair, but it's almost exhilarating seeing it, you give a little fist pump...

So now I'm one of those Richmond guys, I understand why he probably doesn't get a list spot but I wouldn't be upset if he did.

He's the kind of guy that you don't mind keeping around for depth if you're not hard up for list spots.

Will come in and do what's asked of him, will hit the opposition, will give 100% effort every week.

He's a little like Mitch Robinson. You'd love a couple of guys like that on your team, in your best 22.

Townsend probably would have been a pretty good footballer 20 - 30 years ago, he's just not quite big enough for a KPF these days, and not quite good enough to be a midfielder.

Certainly he's done a job for us this year, I think people haven't appreciated how much he's been asked to play beyond his ability.

He's the kind of guy that you don't mind keeping around for depth if you're not hard up for list spots.

Will come in and do what's asked of him, will hit the opposition, will give 100% effort every week.

He's a little like Mitch Robinson. You'd love a couple of guys like that on your team, in your best 22.

Townsend probably would have been a pretty good footballer 20 - 30 years ago, he's just not quite big enough for a KPF these days, and not quite good enough to be a midfielder.

Certainly he's done a job for us this year, I think people haven't appreciated how much he's been asked to play beyond his ability.
Mitch Robinson is Townsend on steroids, he is a nutcase (in a good way). But I get your point

Mitch Robinson is Townsend on steroids, he is a nutcase (in a good way). But I get your point

He's got more of a Ty Zantuck feel about him ;)

If he gets a contract, we're just resigning ourselves to going backwards. An occasional bone-crunching tackle is not a reason to give a bloke a contract.

I finally get it now.

Count me in the corner of those who would be ropable that we find it necessary to pick a player whose "effectiveness" comes down the one time a game he can get close enough to a player to land a heavy hit.

Count me in the corner of those who would be ropable that we find it necessary to pick a player whose "effectiveness" comes down the one time a game he can get close enough to a player to land a heavy hit.

Yeah but when we are getting 'owned' week in, week out by just about everyone, one of the few highlights i enjoy is when/if Towner gets close enough to a player that he can/will smash them. 1 kick, 1 handball, 1 smash. Im ok with that if Im honest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robinson is an all around better athlete. Runs all day.

Townsend would be a hell of a footballer if he was 8cm taller. He’s the forward half equivalent of Matty Dea, who would have essentially been Steven May had he not been back flanker height.

With that logic, lets just put an Essendon jumper on a bear and send it out to play. A bear is aggressive and will tackle it's prey.

We need footballers, not wrestlers.
im thinking a backline of 6 bears + 2 inside the mid contest may work.
Maim the opposition then go to work....

With that logic, lets just put an Essendon jumper on a bear and send it out to play. A bear is aggressive and will tackle it's prey.

I'd pay to see that! We may have to rename our grounds to colosseums though. ;)

Honestly wouldn't be the worst addition. They're strong through the hips, good height, don't mind physical contact and would be difficult to bring down in a tackle. Can also bring back some of that intimidation factor we've lost since the days of Solomon / Johnson x 2 / Hardwick.

Only question marks for me is their kicking and whether they'd be on-board with the two-way running Rutten is wanting.

Honestly wouldn't be the worst addition. They're strong through the hips, good height, don't mind physical contact and would be difficult to bring down in a tackle. Can also bring back some of that intimidation factor we've lost since the days of Solomon / Johnson x 2 / Hardwick.

Only question marks for me is their kicking and whether they'd be on-board with the two-way running Rutten is wanting.
I've just gone through the AFL list lodgement requirements. Nothing in there that says the member of the list has to be human. But we do need to find a male bear.

I've just gone through the AFL list lodgement requirements. Nothing in there that says the member of the list has to be human. But we do need to find a male bear.

Probably able to put him on the Cat B list, so wouldn't cost much to bring in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back