Delisted #20: Jacob Townsend - Not offered a contract for 2021, off to the suns as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

I finally get it now.

When we signed him off the scrap heap there was a cavilcade of Richmond well-wishers who came in wishing him luck, that rarely happens! They were saying he was one of their favorites. Yet they understood why he didn't have a list spot

Now I see it, he's slow, he dosent find the ball, he's an old fashioned clunker....but then there's those 2 or 3 times a game when he snaps an opponent in half with a crunching tackle. Most players give off a tackle like that once of twice a year, but it's his default...every time. You can hear the crunch in the effects mike

Now it probably says more about the state of our club and how starved I have been for a bloke that goes in and tackles bloody hard but 100% fair, but it's almost exhilarating seeing it, you give a little fist pump...

So now I'm one of those Richmond guys, I understand why he probably doesn't get a list spot but I wouldn't be upset if he did.
Yeah but that tackle on Kennedy. Dude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember when he kicked 3 in our round one victory?

That seems like several years ago
I thought we might’ve had a seriously good player at half time of that game.

Townsend has been exactly what the Tigs posters have said - they love him for his hardness and manic tackling, but he's slow and doesn't get enough of the ball. Great 'clubman' but not AFL standard.

Townsend has been exactly what the Tigs posters have said - they love him for his hardness and manic tackling, but he's slow and doesn't get enough of the ball. Great 'clubman' but not AFL standard.
It actually shows the difference in pace between VFL and AFL remembering the bloke won a Liston on ball 3 seasons ago and has no trouble getting the footy at that level.
The role they made for him at Richmond and now obviously Rutten and Caracella want him to do still is a campaigner of a role I reckon.
Getting the ball is almost an afterthought.

It actually shows the difference in pace between VFL and AFL remembering the bloke won a Liston on ball 3 seasons ago and has no trouble getting the footy at that level.
The role they made for him at Richmond and now obviously Rutten and Caracella want him to do still is a campaigner of a role I reckon.

Yeah, no doubt. He's had to play KPF this year due to injuries, so way beyond his ability. Some amazing tackles where he hits like a cement truck, however, unfortunately he plays like his hands are made of cement as well.

As is applying pressure and/or having any objectively identifiable influence on a game.

As is applying pressure and/or having any objectively identifiable influence on a game.

Not sure it's fair on Townsend to slam him for having to play as a KPF with guys like a horribly out of form McKernan as the other marking target down there.

Don't think Townsend has been anything other than what he seemed, a limited player that gives 100% on-field and does what's asked of him. Not his fault basically our entire forward line was injured and he played parts of some games as our main marking target.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes, or if he stays. He's not the worst player on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back